Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 7, 2017

Re: Feature Requests

In most situations my Hearphones are superior for providing speach clarity.  I went to a lecture in a huge hall with huge echos.  Echos cause lack of speech comprehension for me.  The Hearphones simply passed on voices and echos together.  It was another talk I where I could not comprehend speech amongst the echoes.  A big request, but a killer feature to separate the voice from the echoes.  I don't think the filter would be that difficult to code, but need lots of fast compute. Thanks.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

A keyfob remote would be useful.  The Bose Hearphones help me with conversation more than my expensive hearing aids.

A pocket remote with large buttons or a crisp detent click ring  would give my clumbsy fingers better control than the 'touchy' phone app.  A lock out feature to prevent "pocket dialing" would stop the crippling effect that such remotes have on car keys.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Jterrylee44,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've found I can remove most of the echoes in a large reverberant space if I can get close to the source and use the FOCUSSED directivity setting. This allowed me to hear the source with greater clarity without the echoes and reflections coming from behind and beside me.

How about you?

ST

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @jimaa1

Thank you for your ideas. While we can't act on every suggestion or request, it is extremely helpful to hear these ideas. We're listening.

ST

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2017

Hello, It would be nice to have a "pro" feature in the App that allows a poweruser to manipulate more things in the DSP.

A bandpass filter, an EQ, maybe even a notch filter. That would be great. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,

Eloy

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @eritter,

Thank you for joining the community.

That's a really interesting suggestion. I'd like to explore it in more detail with you. I'll post a new topic a little later today. I'll tag you so that you get a notification.

ST

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 21, 2017

Hi,

I recently tested Headphones in-store to see how well they'd work for me. I'm deaf in the left ear and reduced in right ear. I found that the Headphones let me hear the saleswoman very clearly, but a bit on the faint side. Here is my list of requested features:

1. At least 18 hours of battery time, for all-day use.
2. Is it possible to focus on nearby sounds? That might help for restaurant and crowd situations.
3. Boost mode for those who are hard of hearing (with disclaimer, of course). This is already present in Samsung Galaxy Note 7, appears when you plug in a headphone.
4. Hearing test, to identify lower limits of hearing, and amplify/equalize quieter sounds to the user's audible range. This is already present in Samsung Galaxy S7: http://www.techradar.com/how-to/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/how-to-instantly-improve-your...
5. If you had an over-the-ear option, I could use it with my current hearing aid.
6. After reading the discussion on slipping, how about rubber "fingerprints" on the bottom, to help hold the Hearphones in place.
7. The earpieces,even the smallest ones, didn't seem to want to fit my ears, so I tinkered with the iPad app settings, but found that the ignore-earpiece option would not stay off. Is that a store thing? I installed the app on my phone and was able to turn off the out-of-ear sensor.
8. Would it be possible, in the future, to change the volume of one or more specific sound sources, then, once set, maintain that volume despite turning head and moving around?

As an INTJ, I tend to ignore things in order to get things done; being hard of hearing, I use a lot of brainpower figuring out sounds to determine if they're of interest. The two together are contradictory, making it frustrating to work in a typical office environment.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi KilleenWizard,

Thank you for joining the community and for your comments. We can't commit to acting on all of these ideas but we appreciate hearing from you.

Here are some thoughts:

1. Battery life.
    You can get better battery life if you not using Bluetooth. You won't get 18 hours though.

2. Is it possible to focus on nearby sounds? That might help for restaurant and crowd situations.
    The Focussed Directivity setting should help with this.

3. Boost mode for those who are hard of hearing (with disclaimer, of course). This is already present in Samsung Galaxy Note 7, appears when you plug in a headphone.
    The Hearphones Boost control provides special emphasis on high-frequency content from the smartphone, such as treble/high-pitched sounds in music or consonants (/s/, /f/, /sh/, etc.) in spoken podcasts and phone calls. The amount of boost can be reduced or turned off in the app.

4. Hearing test, to identify lower limits of hearing, and amplify/equalize quieter sounds to the user's audible range. This is already present in Samsung Galaxy S7: http://www.techradar.com/how-to/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/how-to-instantly-improve-your...
    Hearphones is not a medical device.

1. If you had an over-the-ear option, I could use it with my current hearing aid.
    An interesting thought.

2. After reading the discussion on slipping, how about rubber "fingerprints" on the bottom, to help hold the Hearphones in place.

Great idea!

3. The earpieces, even the smallest ones, didn't seem to want to fit my ears, so I tinkered with the iPad app settings, but found that the ignore-earpiece option would not stay off. Is that a store thing? I installed the app on my phone and was able to turn off the out-of-ear sensor.
    Not understanding this one.

4. Would it be possible, in the future, to change the volume of one or more specific sound sources, then, once set, maintain that volume despite turning head and moving around?

Great idea!

Thanks for writing. I hope you get to spend more time with Hearphones and the Hear app to experience how well they will work for you.

ST

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 21, 2017

Hi ST,

>>Battery life.
>You can get better battery life if you not using Bluetooth. You won't get 18 hours though.

I understood this was the "Feature Requests" forum, not the "How to use" forum. 😉

>>Is it possible to focus on nearby sounds? That might help for restaurant and crowd situations.
>The Focussed Directivity setting should help with this.

Gotcha! However, I was thinking instead of that (which might pick up loud talkers several booths over; you'd have to tell me if it'll do that or not), triangulate on only those who are nearby. Focussed Directivity plus restricted range. You could have the opposite for a concert, or a presenter in a noisy venue.

>>Boost mode for those who are hard of hearing (with disclaimer, of course). This is already present in Samsung Galaxy Note 7, appears when you plug in a headphone.
>The Hearphones Boost control provides special emphasis on high-frequency content from the smartphone, such as treble/high-pitched sounds in music or consonants (/s/, /f/, /sh/, etc.) in spoken podcasts and phone calls. The amount of boost can be reduced or turned off in the app.

Are we talking about same thing? I meant amplifying the sound range to be a bit higher than the normal safe max. And, before you say Hearphones isn't a medical device, see my reply to next item. 🙂

>Hearing test, to identify lower limits of hearing, and amplify/equalize quieter sounds to the user's audible range. This is already present in Samsung Galaxy S7: http://www.techradar.com/how-to/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/how-to-instantly-improve-your...
>Hearphones is not a medical device.

The cellphone mentioned above isn't a medical device either, yet it has this feature. It doesn't amplify a lot; it's more like bringing voices closer.

>>If you had an over-the-ear option, I could use it with my current hearing aid.
>An interesting thought.

Even simpler: a standard headphone jack accessory, instead of earpiece; this would probably be a cheap accessory (even though I suspect you'd need a reverse L/R splitter to provide stereo), yet anyone who already uses a HA could use it, connecting their current over-the-ear headphones (or if they don't have one, buy one off the shelf).

If you had this, or if a third party had something which could be used to provide the same result, I'd buy a Hearphone on the spot. I didn't look at the earpiece connector, but if it's already a standard 3.5mm jack, this could probably be done with something off the shelf, although I don't see anything with a quick search. This would also take care of the following issue for me with the fit.

>>The earpieces, even the smallest ones, didn't seem to want to fit my ears, so I tinkered with the iPad app settings, but found that the ignore-earpiece option would not stay off. Is that a store thing? I installed the app on my phone and was able to turn off the out-of-ear sensor.
>Not understanding this one.

The app has an option to ignore the fact that the earpiece is not in place (which would normally cause feedback). I had to use this option on my phone to get the Hearphone to send sound to the earpiece, because the Hearphone thought the earpiece was not inserted. On the store iPad, this option refused to stay off, which the clerk thought might have been a store restriction.

Follow-up question; is it that hard to tell that a sound is feedback? Human ears can generally recognize feedback sound quite easily.

--KW
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi KilleenWizard,

Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate the time and thought you put in to help us understand your point. I'll speak to a few items below and accept the rest as requests, with thanks.

>>Is it possible to focus on nearby sounds? That might help for restaurant and crowd situations.
>The Focussed Directivity setting should help with this.

Gotcha! However, I was thinking instead of that (which might pick up loud talkers several booths over; you'd have to tell me if it'll do that or not), triangulate on only those who are nearby. Focussed Directivity plus restricted range. You could have the opposite for a concert, or a presenter in a noisy venue.

⇒ Great request: Speaking from personal experience, I've been able to manage this somewhat by using the DIRECTIVITY in combination with the WORLD VOLUME control.

You'd want to spend some time experimenting with this to hear how well it would work for you.

>>The earpieces, even the smallest ones, didn't seem to want to fit my ears, so I tinkered with the iPad app settings, but found that the ignore-earpiece option would not stay off. Is that a store thing? I installed the app on my phone and was able to turn off the out-of-ear sensor.
>Not understanding this one.

The app has an option to ignore the fact that the earpiece is not in place (which would normally cause feedback). I had to use this option on my phone to get the Hearphone to send sound to the earpiece, because the Hearphone thought the earpiece was not inserted. On the store iPad, this option refused to stay off, which the clerk thought might have been a store restriction.

Follow-up question; is it that hard to tell that a sound is feedback? Human ears can generally recognize feedback sound quite easily.

⇒ I'll leave this for our team to consider internally. I can't promise that we'll have a response here.

Thanks for being a part of the Hearphones community.

ST