juno
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 17, 2019

Hearphone Distortion (Please add an option to adjust levels for "preamp" of Mics)

Hi,

Hearphone is great.. but in loud environment (70-80dB), sound is often distoring even with MUTE on or go minus with world volume. 

I believe there must be a setting for "Preamp" for Mics...which should be user-configurable or lowered. Is it possible?

I am using Hearphone also as "Ear Plug" to reduce noises around me. I work in Music industury and I realized Hearphone cannot handle loud sound...and it would distort in a very unplesant way.

All the best

Juno

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: Hearphone Distortion (Please add an option to adjust levels for "preamp" of Mics)

Hi Juno,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community. 

You wrote, "in loud environment (70-80dB), sound is often distoring even with MUTE on or go minus with world volume. "

I'm sorry you are having trouble with distortion from the World Volume when you are in a loud environment. In settings where the environmental noise (music) is significantly louder than conversation, you need to turn the World Volume all the way off to use your Bose Hearphones as "Ear Plugs".

You wrote "I believe there must be a setting for "Preamp" for Mics...which should be user-configurable or lowered. Is it possible?"

The World Volume is the user-configurable control for the microphones.  When the environment is very loud, you can turn the World Volume to -50 to disable the microphones.

I'm in noisy bars and clubs all the time. When the music is too loud I use my Bose Hearphones to bring the overall sound level down (with the World Volume at -50).

I'm glad you joined us.  Will you help us with the 

User Research Hearing Survey

Thanks,

ST

juno
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 17, 2019

Re: Hearphone Distortion (Please add an option to adjust levels for "preamp" of Mics)

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

I did turn down the volume all the way down, but it was giving me distored sound. (sounds like digtally clipped....) It sounded like Microphone cannot handle.... but not all the time. It would distort every few seconds... I am sure lowering "preamp" level of microphone just a bit, or giving user an ability to control the amount of Preamp of microphone of Hearphone, would help.

So this means, (correct me if I am wrong...) World Volume to -50 WOULD NOT completely disable the microphones. Microphones would be still on, providing "noise-cancelling"... otherwise how Bose Hearphone would be able to decrease World Volume? What components of Hearphone is providing this feature, if not Microphone?

I am impressed with Bose Hearphone, as a wearable technology, and I think it has a lot of potentials. I am an a bit of more an Advanced user and I want to access to more settings, if not every setting.I like the fact that I can make World Volume minus... please enhance this side of feature a bit more. 

Please do a test for yourself, with 70-90dB loudness environment. You will definately hear this distortion I am talking about...

Also I want to be able to "record" what I am listening through mics.... It is far fetched... and probably not what this is designed for... but that will be amazing. 

Community Manager

Hi Juno,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

"I did turn down the volume all the way down, but it was giving me distored sound. (sounds like digtally clipped....) It sounded like Microphone cannot handle.... but not all the time. It would distort every few seconds... I am sure lowering "preamp" level of microphone just a bit, or giving user an ability to control the amount of Preamp of microphone of Hearphone, would help.

So this means, (correct me if I am wrong...) World Volume to -50 WOULD NOT completely disable the microphones. Microphones would be still on, providing "noise-cancelling"... otherwise how Bose Hearphone would be able to decrease World Volume? What components of Hearphone is providing this feature, if not Microphone?"

Great question!

For our conversation: when I refer to World Volume off - this is when you have World Volume at -50 or the mute on. On the headset controller, if you press the World Volume down several times, you will hear a beep when you get to -50.

With the World Volume off, the microphones that pass sound from the environment to you are disabled. This is separate from the noise cancelling function that is on all the time. 

"Please do a test for yourself, with 70-90dB loudness environment. You will definately hear this distortion I am talking about..."

I did the test, as you suggested. I'm in my studio, and I just cranked up my Bose L1 Model II system to over 110 dB SPL (C weighted).  With the World Volume off, there's no distortion (clipping).

With World Volume On at the lowest level (-49) and can hear some clipping, but there's no need to have the World Volume On when the environment is so loud. You couldn't have a conversation with someone in these conditions.  

I am listening to pre-recorded music. Since you are in the music business, you'll know that pre-recorded music is compressed so there are no transient peaks.  In live music situations, a rim-shot (snare drum) can hit +125 dB and cymbals are often +110 dB.  The conversation-enhancing technology was not engineered to handle these kinds of sounds. If the World Volume is on (at all) you may hear some distortion.  However, no conversation could be had with this kind of noise in the background so there is no need to have the World Volume on under these conditions. 

"I am impressed with Bose Hearphone, as a wearable technology, and I think it has a lot of potentials. I am an a bit of more an Advanced user and I want to access to more settings, if not every setting.I like the fact that I can make World Volume minus... please enhance this side of feature a bit more. "

Thanks for your suggestions. Like you, I wanted more control over various settings.  I am used to being able to control almost everything with my audio equipment (musical instruments and sound reinforcement equipment for live audio). All of that is about getting the best sound possible. That's a different goal than improving the ability have a conversation in a noisy place. We've found most people can enjoy enhancing-conversations in noisy environments using the controls available now. 

Back to you.

If you hear distortion with the World Volume off, then there may be a problem with your unit, and it's time to call Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673.

Sincerely,

ST