Hearphone regular volume control does not work? No volume control in App?

Highlighted
RdE
Audible Advocate

Hearphone regular volume control does not work? No volume control in App?

Just bought Hearphones. Set up. Installed app. On the inline manual controls, the controls for world volume work. The what I assume is regular loudness volume control, the ends of the toggle with multifunction button in middle, does NOT change the volume. If I try to raise volume, I get beeps till I hit a high tone indicating highest volume, if I lower volume, I get eventual boop indicating lowest volume. Problem is, volume DOES NOT CHANGE. Also, in the phone app, installed on my Android, there is no control I can find for regular  volume, all I see is world volume and treble/bass. I am ready to package these back up and request a return, but I thought I would ask first.

8 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hearphone regular volume control does not work? No volume control in App?

Hi, RdE,

Thank you for joining us in the Hearphones Community. I'm sorry you are having a problem with the regular volume controls.  I'll refer to these as the Media volume controls.

HearphonesMediaVolume.jpg

The Media volume controls are for the sound you receive through Bluetooth (audio from your device and phone calls). 

To confirm what you noticed in the Bose Hear app: there is no control in the app for the Media volume. You can use the controls on your device or your Hearphones.

Did I understand you correctly? When you play music: the Media volume controls do not change the volume of the music?  If so, please call us on Monday, and we'll take care of you.  1-800-761-2673.

Thank you,

ST

@RdE wrote:

Just bought Hearphones. Set up. Installed app. On the inline manual controls, the controls for world volume work. The what I assume is regular loudness volume control, the ends of the toggle with multifunction button in middle, does NOT change the volume. If I try to raise volume, I get beeps till I hit a high tone indicating highest volume, if I lower volume, I get eventual boop indicating lowest volume. Problem is, volume DOES NOT CHANGE. Also, in the phone app, installed on my Android, there is no control I can find for regular  volume, all I see is world volume and treble/bass. I am ready to package these back up and request a return, but I thought I would ask first.

RdE
Audible Advocate

Thanks for quick reply. No, I was not trying to play music through the earphones.  I was under the assumption the controls would allow raising or lowering the volume of the amient sound or conversation. It appears that is not the case. I had hoped to let my wife, who has hearing difficulties, use these in order to screen out background noise, as it is, we cannot even eat out because the background noise overwhelms her. But if there is no volume control, this will not work for her. I have already requested and received a RMA to return the device.

Thanks again for prompt response, I was hoping from articles I had read that this would help for the need citec above, but it appears it will not.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RdE,

While you still have your Hearphones, let's try a few things. I'd really like to help your wife to enjoy them.

You wrote: "raising or lowering the volume of the amient sound or conversation"

You do this with the World Volume controls.

Use the World Volume controls to

"screen out background noise, as it is, we cannot even eat out because the background noise overwhelms her"

I use my Hearphones to block out the world when the background noise is overwhelming (coffee shops, restaurants, busy stores).

Basically - with the World Volume at -50, she should hear almost no background noise. Then, to hear conversation, she can turn up the World Volume a bit, and set the Directivity to Focused, Front, or Everywhere depending on the situation. When I'm in a noisy restaurant I most often use Focused.

Here are some notes:

Select one of the following Directivity settings in the Bose Hear app based on your situation. You can use the Bose Hear app or the controls on the Hearphones.

To adjust the Directivity settings using the Bose Hear app:

Open the Bose Hear app and connect your Hearphones with your device.

Tap on the Directivity setting for more options (center icon).

• FOCUSED: Select "Focused" if you want to hear what’s directly in front of you, such as a focused one-on-one conversation across a table in a noisy environment
  • FRONT: Select "FRONT" to concentrate on a conversation with people in front of you (left, center and right) and reduce noise from behind
  • EVERYWHERE: Select "EVERYWHERE" when it's important to hear sounds from all directions, such as crossing the street or when you're watching TV and listening to music

To adjust the Directivity Modes using the headset controls, press the Wolrd Volume buttons simultaneously to focus on sounds coming from different areas in your environment.

• FOCUSED: Press World Volume buttons simultaneously until you hear a low-frequency tone
  • FRONT: Press World Volume buttons simultaneously until you hear a medium-frequency tone
  • EVERYWHERE: Press World Volume buttons simultaneously until you hear a high-frequency tone

RdE
Audible Advocate

Thanks for these suggestions. We will reinstall the Android app and try again. I will get back with 24 hours on result.

Thanks again.

RdE
Audible Advocate

I did not want to leave this hanging uncompleted. After reinstalling the Android app and testing the recommended settings, we concluded that this device would not work for us. My wife had severe enough hearing impairment that even setting focus to directly in front of her, one has to raise the world volume so high for her to hear that sounds even behind her are heard, and sharply, too. It was not the solution we hoped it would be. I have returned it, and am awaiting credit for the return to appear on the credit card used.

@RdE wrote:

Thanks for these suggestions. We will reinstall the Android app and try again. I will get back with 24 hours on result.

Thanks again.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RdE,

Thank you for coming back to complete the conversation.

I am grateful you tried Hearphones and for participating in the community to tell us about your experiences.

I am sorry Hearphones did not work out better for you.

ST

Silent Starter

I was about to ask the same question in this forum when I saw this thread. My question is answered. My only complaint is that I don't think this is explained well in the printed material that comes with the Hearphone, and it I don't think it was covered in the explanatory videos I looked at on Youtube. I was really puzzled about the "other" volume control until now. I verified that it works as stated - it controls the Bluetooth connected volume. 

I have had the Hearphones for about a month now, and they have been extremely helpful for me, in particular in meeting,  lecture hall,  and restaurant contexts. And the price is fantastic when compared to in-ear hearing aids. I had much more expensive in-ear hearing aids some years ago and stopped using them after about a year. In several respects, I like the Hearphones better. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alan Windle,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community. I'm glad you are here and you found the answer to your question. I'll take another look at our materials to see how might make things clearer.

It's terrific to hear how your Bose Hearphones are working for you.

Thank you,

ST