Hearphones for Meniere's

SOLVED
Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Hearphones for Meniere's

I am curious to find out if anyone with Meniere's (or any other condition involving hearing loss in only one ear) has had luck using Hearphones. I just purchased Heaphones a few days ago but am still struggling to find the optimal settings. For example, if my left hear has very poor hearing but my right ear has normal hearing, do I adjust the baalance at all or leave it alone? And if I need to adjust it, do I make the right ear stronger, or the left ear stronger? I'm finding myself having to increase the World Volume, but then it seems that doing so also increases the overall noise. I wouldn have liked to demo them in a store, but the stores near me either don't carry Hearphones, don't have a demo pair, or don't have someone from Bose to demonstrate their use. I'm really hoping these work out, but it's a little frustrating at the moment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hearphones for Meniere's

Hi j4bretti,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

Please check out this discussion: Hearphones for Unilateral Hearing Loss

There's lots of information and advice from other Hearphones owners.

Thank you,

ST

9 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi j4bretti,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

Please check out this discussion: Hearphones for Unilateral Hearing Loss

There's lots of information and advice from other Hearphones owners.

Thank you,

ST

Audible Advocate

Thank you!
Audible Advocate

Hi,
I have AIED, many of the symptoms are similar to Menieres and similar in a lot of ways. I started using these HearPhones late last November. These have been great because I can adjust as my hearing fluctuates during a flare up.
For the standard user, World & Front volume seem to work...I do not use those settings as I need it on Focus setting at all times. We need that cancellation on and cut out extra sounds to cut down the mixed noise...and in my case the pain of sound, echoes to focus on what we need to hear...
It takes awhile to get used to adjusting and find what works for you, but I recommend having someone sit with you or video chat so you can learn how.
I have standard settings that stay the same when flare up is gone...but when I have a flare up and my hearing skewers, I can adjust it as needed....
These are awesome and allowed me to be able to talk on the phone without pain, listen to music without pain and to be at restaurants and the public without pain..
I still can’t go to the movie theatre or concerts ...the Bose doesn’t adjust low enough...but I can handle dishes clanking, big crowds, my dogs barking...I can live!
I bought a 2nd pair so I have back up when one dies after 8-10 hrs, I switch them out so I don’t have to hide when they charge in the quiet....
Meda Thompson
Audible Advocate

Meda,
Thank you for the detailed reply. I was told I have Meniere's based on a diagnosis of exclusion. However, one doctor thought I might have AIED, as the symptoms are very similar. My hearing doesn't really fluctuate anymore. It's just mostly gone in my left ear. Luckily I don't get vertigo anymore, but it's very uncomfortable noise-wise being in loud surroundings. I am still playing around with the settings to see which ones work best.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MedaThompson,

Thank you for joining us. I'm glad you're here.

ST

Wistful Whisperer

Hi Community Manager, I just wondered if Bose Hearphones have the ability to direct sound into one ear only yet.  I see many people on this forum have asked if Bose can make this change.  I have Meniere's and fluctuating hearing loss in my left ear.  Unfortunately, when my left ear can "hear" the sound is mostly very distorted and makes it difficult for my good right ear to compensate and decipher sounds properly.  Therefore I cannot have any sound coming into my left ear at all from headphones.  I have a set of older non wireless Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones which I use on my laptop if necessary and set the laptop sound settings to one ear. and also a Sony wireless headphone which I use for the TV and DVD so I can catch all the dialogue.  It would be nice to have something I can wear out in noisy places such as restaurants, or with a group of people, and especially to the movies as movie theatres tend to be too overwhelming and cause reveration and i don't catch all the dialogue which is annoying,  However, from what I gather from this forum, it does not sound as though these Hearphones have the capability I need.  Any suggestions about the adjustment of the sound and balance on the left side which would help me, or will some sound come through regardless?  Thanks.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mogi

Thank you for your question about directing all the sound to one ear. 

You can mute one side of the Hearphones using the Bose Hear App, Balance control. That doesn't send sound from one side to the other.

There are three DIRECTIVITY Modes: Everywhere, Front, Focussed.  In Front and Focussed Modes some of the sound from one side is sent through to the other. You can also use the Balance control in the Bose Hear App - BUT if you mute one ear, sound from that side is no longer available to the other ear.

Bose Hearphones are engineered to enhance your ability to have conversations in noisy environments. We don't recommend them as a solution for a medical condition.

The best way to know if Hearphones will work for you is to try them.  You can do that at Bose retail stores or buy them online and use them for 30 days (see Returns).

When you try them, be sure to use the Bose Hear App. You can control World Volume and Bass/Treble and Balance.

ST

Wistful Whisperer

Thanks for your suggestions.  I understand that they are not medical Hearing Aids, but more hearing enhancers.  There is no Hearing Aid that will help my problem anyway.  I don't need volume in my left ear, I need silence !!  There is two Bose Factory Stores near me, and I will check to see if they have a demo Hearphone in the stores as I really would like to try them out.  "Factory Stores" tend to make me think they only have older versions of products, but perhaps I am wrong on that.  Hopefully their staff are well versed on their products.  I understand there is the 30 day money back guarantee, and there is also a 3 year warrenty that can be purchased.  Can this warrenty be bought after purchase, or would it have to be bought at the same time as the Hearphones.  If this is the case and the hearphones are returned within the 30 days, will I get a refund on the warrenty as well? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mogi,

Thanks for your follow-up questions. For questions about warranty policies please call Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673. 

Thank you.

ST