Highlighted
Kskelchner
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 6, 2017

Hearphones for Unilateral Deafness from Sudden Hearing Loss?

Has anyone tried these for deafness in one ear? My daughter has trouble following conversations in noisy environments due to 95% hearing loss is one ear from Sudden Hearing Loss. No hearing aids work for her and I'm wondering if these would help. She's headed to college and could really use help hearing more clearly in large lecture halls, cafeterias, etc.
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Hearphones for Unilateral Deafness from Sudden Hearing Loss?

There are a number of clinical solutions for unilateral hearing loss.  Some simply get the sound from the "bad" side to the "good" side through wireless transmission (contralateral routing of signal hearing devices) and bone conduction (bone anchored hearing aids).  In these cases the single "good" side has to deal with signal and noise together which is hard to do.  Others attempt to treat the "bad" side and get it hearing again (cochlear implants).

Hearphones are none of these things.  Hearphones are not designed for single-sided deafness.  But Hearphones do use four micrphones per ear to help directional hearing (two on each side), and they do let you shift the sound to be full one side, full the other, and anywhere in between.  If the user were to listen only through the left earphone by muting the right, the micrphones on the right earphone would be helping the left make the signal a bit clearer.  But the sounds from the right would still be missing.

Kskelchner
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 6, 2017

Thank you very much for your reply. I understand Hearphones were not designed for unilateral hearing loss. However I would still be interested to know from other users if the hearphones are helpful with directional sound as well as following conversations in a noisy environment.  I will watch your website for reports from other users.  Also, is there a trial period available for your hearphones?  My daughter will be attending college near your Newport Beach location and I'm wondering if she could try a pair for a couple of days. 

Thanks!

Community Manager

Hi Kskelchner,

Yes, let's hope others will will join the conversation and share their experiences.

You wrote, "Also, is there a trial period available for your hearphones?  My daughter will be attending college near your Newport Beach location and I'm wondering if she could try a pair for a couple of days. "

You can Try Hearphones in store. If that's not convenient, you can order them online. Your daughter can try them for 30 days. You can read about the Bose Performance Guarantee (follow the link and look at the third heading) for all the details.

Will that work for you?

ST

Kimd37
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 14, 2017

Hi, my 20 year old son is totally deaf in one ear. There is a setting on his iphone to have full stereo sound come out of just one ear bud. Would this be possible? To have the sound from all microphone devices pushed to one ear bud? It would be nice to have the option of turning off one side completely or sending all of the sound to just one ear.

There are very limited options for devices that address single sided deafness. My son misses a lot of sound on his right side, which is especially difficult in a crowded room. It is also a safety issue, not being able to hear properly or localize sound. He,too, just started college and these hearphones sound very helpful for a lecture hall or cafeteria.

Community Manager

Hi Kimd37,

Thank you for joining us. I'm glad you're here.

I'm familiar with the setting on the iPhone. It mixes both sides of the stereo signal to mono and sends the mono signal to both earbuds.  There is no setting in Hearphones to do that.  Please see Kevin's post above.

We can't recommend Hearphones for your son in a lecture hall or cafeteria, but he can try them and determine if they convey value to him.  He can try Hearphones in a Bose store. (Follow the link for store locations). If that's not convenient, he can order them online and try them for 30 days. You can read about the Bose Performance Guarantee (follow the link and look at the third heading) for all the details.

If your son tries Hearphones please invite him to come here and tell us about his experiences.

Thank you,

ST

OneEar
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 19, 2017

I've been totally deaf in my left ear for over 50 years--mumps when I was 14. I can barely remember what binaural hearing was like. I don't mean to whine, but missing calls because I can't find the phone when I hear it ringing, jockeying for position to hear in conference rooms, being unable to understand what store clerks and wait people are saying, seeing the look in your boss's eye when you ask him to repeat for the third time. Even my wife gets tired of my requests to repeat. Not pleasant. I in this last 15 years I have acquired a 20% loss in my good ear, which makes it worse.

I've had several types of hearing aids. BICROS, bone conduction, digital, analog, etc. None really helped-- often they irritate so much I have to take them off with a blazing headache. I force myself to wear them when I am around others because they make improve communications some, but I still have to avoid background noise, even an air conditioner can make conversation difficult, and if more than one person speaks, forget it. I avoid lunch meetings, only go to certain restaurants, etc. even with aids.

It seems like I have spent weeks with audiologists trying to adjust hearing aids so they help, but I haven't had a set of aids yet that I did not want to throw into the trash. But I keep trying.

I have had Hearphones for less than 24 hours and worn them for less than 6. So far, so good. So far, they are at least as helpful as any previous solution, and I have high hopes.

Last night, I wore them while sitting in our living room with my wife and three visitors. I didn't try to tune the Hearphones, but I could hear everyone well with the directionality front. Actually amazingly well. I doubt that I will be sending them back.

At the moment, I have World Volume at -15, R+33, Bass 20, directionality front, listening to light classical music. Not bad! The sound is coming from my ancient Bose radio. I can spin in my chair and the sound level remains even as I spin. That's good. The music is clear and the click of my keyboard is not annoying. No background noise, so this is not a challenging test, but I ordinarily can't stand to have my aids in while I am alone in my office. Time and fiddling with the adjustments will tell more.

Now, a question: the "everywhere" setting seems to turn off the left microphones. They are active- I pick up left side sounds- when the setting is "focused" or "front", but not when they are set to "everywhere." I could have sworn I was picking up from both sides when set to "everywhere" last night. Is this a defect?

It seems odd that switching on "everywhere" affects the side that I happen to be deaf on.

I've played with the balance. If I mute the left side, turns the left mikes off. Muting the right is like turning the sound off.  That seems right, although I would hope that muting the left would turn off the left speaker but leave the left mikes on.

I will keep you posted on future observations. So far, I like what I am experiencing. Also, any suggestions on tuning for a deaf left ear would be helpful.

Community Manager

Hi OneEar,

Thank you for joining us and for telling us your story.

I'll be looking forward for reading more of your observations.

About your question:

Now, a question: the "everywhere" setting seems to turn off the left microphones. They are active- I pick up left side sounds- when the setting is "focused" or "front", but not when they are set to "everywhere." I could have sworn I was picking up from both sides when set to "everywhere" last night. Is this a defect?

You are observing the correct operation.  It sounds like your Hearphones are working fine. The Everywhere setting sends the left ear microphones to the left ear only, and the right ear microphones to the right ear only. The other two settings use both sets of microphones and clever engineering to create the Front and Focused settings. 

Looking forward to reading more from you,

ST

OneEar
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 19, 2017

First big test came yesterday. I went to a lunch program, which I was not looking forward to. I only go to events like this when I am interested enough in the presentation to endure the awkwardness of only catching only an occasional word around the table.

Background chatter and high ceilings are not good for me.

It went well, very well. In fact, I may have enjoyed myself on an occasion like this for the first time ever. I could follow most of the conversation well.

I could not converse very well with the person next to me on my deaf left side, but at least I could tell when he spoke to me, which I could not do very well even wearing a BICROS. I could hear the guy on my left about as well as I usually can hear the person on my right in similar circumstances. Not well enough to carry on a conversation, but well enough to apologize for not hearing, a duty which my wife usually takes on when we are together.

I could carry on a pleasant conversation across the table and to my right. I have never felt so relaxed in a setting like that. The presentation itself also went well, although I usually don't have much trouble when the room goes silent for the speaker. Fiddling with the controls to improve the clarity was a pleasure.

I did not switch off or remove the earpieces to compare with and without the hearphones. I'll leave that for next time-- why jeopardize a good time?-- but until I have done that, I won't be entirely convinced because with previous devices, I have thought they were helping, but after a few weeks, I find I was fooling myself.

The "Everywhere" setting is not usable for me because I do not pick up sounds from my deaf side using it. The focused and front settings are both useful. I think I can hear sounds from behind me better with either focused or front than with everywhere. Actually, I don't detect much difference between "focused" and "front." But that may be from lack of practice.

I wish there were a setting that directed the sounds going to my deaf ear to my good ear. I think that might improve my experience even more.

At this point I would encourage anyone with unilateral hearing to try Hearphones. Your mileage may vary-- I think my experience with BICROS and CROS has been worse than most-- but I would say they are worth a try.

Community Manager

Hi OneEar,

Thank you for coming back to tell us about your lunch program yesterday.

We're always curious to how people experience Hearphones. It's wonderful when people share good news.

I wish you all the best as you take your Hearphones into situations that have been daunting in the past.

Sincerely,

ST