How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbuds?

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbuds?

I'm just wondering whether any Hearphone owners previously owned or concurrently own other hearing-enhancing devices like those from Doppler (HearOne) and NuHeara (IQbuds).

I'm sure that the Hearphones are superior for background noise cancellation as they offer ANC, but how to they compare in terms of enhancing voice audibility?

27 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Re: How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbud

About 2 1/2 years ago I purchased the CS50+ from Soundworld Solutions. For that you selected which ear, current price is $349. It came with 2 rechargeable batteries and an app that allowed customization. It also had bluetooth, which worked okay, but seemed to affect the quality of the hearing device when enabled.

I was constently pushing the ear bud back into the ear, it never fit snugly. The quality of sound was actually quite good, perhaps superior for some things. I stopped using it more than a year ago and now I am missing a piece to do a proper comparison. 

I actually had a long conversation with Soundworld's chief engineer. I tried to convince him to do something similar to the hearphone. He said nobody would want to have a wire connected to the hearing device. When Hearphones were announced, but not yet available, I contacted them again. They said they had no plans to do anything similar in design to the hearphones.

I'm still getting used to my new hearphones, had them less than 2 weeks. I have connectivity issues and the sound streaming from my phone for youtube or other video content can be hardly hear, even at the highest volume. Phone calls are fine. Final verdict is still out, but I am optimistic.

Animated Arbiter

Re: How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbud

Well, the Soundworld engineer is mostly right: if the intention is to provide a highly-effective PSAP, the Hearphone should consist of totally wireless earbuds instead of being a modification of the QC 30. 

My guess is that the Hearphones are more effective than the NuHearas or HereOnes, but they're not nearly as convenient or unobtrusive.

I hope that Bose's product will evolve toward something more like the NuHeara or HereOne earbuds.

Friendly Fanatic

My original suggestion to the Soundworld engineer was to have all the receivers and sound processing in a strap worn around the chest, like a heart rate monitor. I thought the preprocessed input could then be transmitted to a relatively small in ear device through bluetooth. The engineer informed me that although bluetooth was getting better, there would be too much loss transmitting to each ear. It was then that I further suggested connecting by 2 wires, joined behind the neck and down the back to the chest strap. 

That's what he said would not be accepted. 

It seems to me that a lot of the bulk in the current design of the Hearphones is in the fact that there are multiple mics in each ear. If those mics were contained in the neck piece, the ear buds could be far smaller. 

Animated Arbiter

The HereOne ear buds from Doppler Labs have each 3 microphones, and the NuHearas have 2 microphones in each bud, yet both products are barely larger than the wired earbuds of the Hearphones -- and they're completely self-contained. However, neither offers true noise cancellation yet.

The big problem, besides miniaturization of the electronics, is how to fit inside a battery big enough to ensure decent battery life. The HereOnes get less than 2 hours while streaming, but the NuHearas get about 3.5 hours (but they have a 67% larger battery than the HereOnes).

My guess is that Bose chose the compromise of the Hearphone design because it was the quickest way to bring a PASP to market. 

Friendly Fanatic

I tried an Entymonics earbud amplifier. Too much feedback and poor sound quality convinced me to stop using
Quiet Contributor

What about the Bragi Dash Pro too?

They removed ANC to save battery cause they seem to consider it is not used so much.
They invested development time and battery consumption in their PerformTek solution instead.

It seems the Hearphones are the SUIT version of the Sound Sport Pulse. So the Dash Pro, the Here One and the IQ buds should be compared to the Sound Sport Pulse instead.

Is the hearphones planning to add health monitoring functions?

Animated Arbiter

None of the Bragis has ever offered noise cancellation (which is a feature widely misunderstood and attributed to many devices that don't offer it). 

Unlike the Bragis (or the NuHearas or HereOnes, which don't have health-monitoring features), Hearphones are not designed for sports. Bose has yet to release completely wireless earbuds.

Quiet Contributor

Hi,

I thought Bragi tried to integrate the ANC in their first version and they removed it cause it was too power consuming or needed too much space.

Has anyone ever integrated a true phase-opposition ANC in a hearable?
Cause the PCB along the QC20 cable is pretty big and is far to fit in the ear...

Hearphones are dedicated to people who wear suits indeed. Do they really care about the ANC?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cusstomizer,

Thank you for joining us here. Welcome.

Please tell us; what does SUIT mean in this context?

"It seems the Hearphones are the SUIT version of the Sound Sport Pulse."

Thanks,

ST