Highlighted
MPF
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Noise cancelling headphones best for workplace where colleagues talk

Hi,

I would like to know which kind of headphones (model) would be best for my needs: I want to block out the sound of colleagues who talk and laugh and  clash kitchen utensils like dishes.

Specification: I don't want to listen to music, I just want to block the noise they make so I can focus on my writing.

Thank you,

MPF

3 REPLIES 3
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Noice cancelling headphones best for workplace where colleagues talk

I don't think any headphones from any brand will block out that noise.  Bose are one of the best for N/C, but without music on you will likely hear that sound, although it will lower the tones and make them less distracting.  They work best when also playing music/video because when you're listening to music, you focus on the sounds you want to hear, while the N/C takes enough away that most fades into the background.

MPF
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Re: Noice cancelling headphones best for workplace where colleagues talk

Thank you. 

Community Manager

Re: Noise cancelling headphones best for workplace where colleagues talk

Hi MPF,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community, the place where we talk specifically about Bose Hearphones.

Bose Hearphones use noise cancelling technology similar to several other Bose products (QuietControl 30, Noise Cancelling 700), however the passive noise cancellation (what happens when the ear buds are in and the unit is turned off is slightly different) the overall effect is similar. You may find you prefer the in-ear technology instead of the over-the-ear approach. I encourage you to visit a Bose retail store and try both.

Unlike some of the other Bose products with Bose Hearphones the noise cancelling feature is not variable. It is always on and fully engaged.  With Bose Hearphones you can control the World Volume. Please follow this link to learn more about Bose Hearphones Noise Cancellation and World Volume.

You wrote:

"I would like to know which kind of headphones (model) would be best for my needs: I want to block out the sound of colleagues who talk and laugh and clash kitchen utensils like dishes.

Specification: I don't want to listen to music, I just want to block the noise they make so I can focus on my writing."

Bose Hearphones are engineered to enhance conversation in noisy environments. They may not meet you specification better than other Bose products with noise cancellation. However, you may find them useful when you want to interact with your colleagues.

Here is an amazing video from Bose Distinguished Engineer Dan Gauger.
Dan talks about the technology behind Noise Cancelling Headphones (including music how music increases the effectiveness) through to the social impacts of wearing them and more. In this video, you'll come to know our passionate curiosity and obsession to engineer better products for you

Published by CIRMMT:  the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology, housed at the Schulich School of Music at McGill University.

Enjoy the video.

Sincerely,

ST