Squealing in left ear

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Squealing in left ear

Hi bhaugen,

Here you go.

Once you remove the StayHear+ Tip so you can see the wire mesh.

There were little bits of wax, not much, resting on the screen.

To clean the earbuds, remove the ear tips from the earbuds and lightly brush the mesh screens with a soft dry cloth (be careful not to push ear wax into the mesh surface or port hole).

Hearphones Cleaning Before.jpgWire mesh, before cleaning

I used a soft-bristled toothbrush to get the bits that didn't come off with the cloth. I didn't have to do the deep cleaning described below the last picture.

Hearphones Cleaning After.jpgWire mesh, after cleaning

Here's a close up of the wire mesh.

Hearphones Cleaning Wire Mesh.jpgWire mesh, super close up, after cleaning

• To deep clean the mesh screen, follow these steps:
  1. Remove the tips from the earbuds
  2. Apply a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (maximum concentration, 3%) to the mesh surface of the earbud using a soft cloth or tissue (be careful not to allow excess liquid to enter the open port on the earbud)
  3. Let the earbuds sit for five minutes to allow the wax to soften
  4. Wet a soft-bristled toothbrush with hydrogen peroxide (maximum concentration, 3%) and gently scrub the mesh screen to loosen and remove the wax without allowing excess hydrogen peroxide to enter the open port on the earbud
  5. After the mesh surface is clean, gently shake out any excess liquid and debris, and dry the earbud with a soft cloth
  6. Reattach the ear tips

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Thanks a lot. That was very clear, especially the photos. I had no idea there was a mesh inside that porthole. I had to take out a magnifier to see it, and will need to use that again to clean the porthole the next time.

What's under/behind the mesh? And what happens if it gets wet? The peroxide instructions would seem to do that, but apparently you did not need the peroxide treatment, just used the soft toothbrush? 

I'll get a spare soft toothbrush and try that before going to the peroxide treatment, but I had a lot more wax on the mesh than you did.

I am asking those followup questions because it looks like this is something I will need to do regularly, and it could damage the hearphones if I do it wrong.

Friendly Fanatic

Status of problem at this point:

I tried the soft toothbrush cleaning method, which worked pretty well.

Cleaning the screens in the earbuds improved my hearing a lot. I had not noticed that it was getting gradually worse, but after cleaning the screens, I could tell how much I had been missing.

Still sometimes squeals in the left ear, usually when first putting the ear tips in, but occasionally later. Less than before the cleaning, but not totally gone. 

The loud clicks also happen less often, but do occasionally recur. But not so often and annoying anymore.

So overall, the cleaning was a big improvement, the squealing and clicks are improved but not gone.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi bhaugen,

@bhaugen wrote:

Thanks a lot. That was very clear, especially the photos. I had no idea there was a mesh inside that porthole. I had to take out a magnifier to see it, and will need to use that again to clean the porthole the next time.

What's under/behind the mesh? And what happens if it gets wet? The peroxide instructions would seem to do that, but apparently you did not need the peroxide treatment, just used the soft toothbrush? 

---

The drivers that create the sound you hear in your ears and some other bits of technology.

• Apply a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (maximum concentration, 3%) to the mesh surface of the earbud using a soft cloth or tissue (be careful not to allow excess liquid to enter the open port on the earbud)

You put the hydrogen peroxide on the soft cloth or tissue, and then apply that to the mesh.  It's unlikely that much if any of the liquid will pass through the mesh. The openings are very small.

---

I'll get a spare soft toothbrush and try that before going to the peroxide treatment, but I had a lot more wax on the mesh than you did.

I am asking those followup questions because it looks like this is something I will need to do regularly, and it could damage the hearphones if I do it wrong.

---

If you keep an eye on the situation and gently brush away the was before it builds up, you probably won't have to use the hydrogen peroxide.

ST

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi bhaugen,

The clicking when there's a loud noise will happen if the loud noise is too loud for Hearphones to handle. That's just the way your Hearphones respond to very loud metallic noises.  This should not happen if you have World Volume all the way off.

As for the squealing, please wait until the Hearphones are fully in your ears before you turn on the power.  

ST

Friendly Fanatic

@ST wrote:

> The clicking when there's a loud noise will happen if the loud noise is too loud for Hearphones to handle. That's just the way your Hearphones respond to very loud metallic noises. 

Ok, so normal, not a sign that something is wrong.

> This should not happen if you have World Volume all the way off.

But then I won't hear anything, right? Or do I misunderstand World Volume?

> As for the squealing, please wait until the Hearphones are fully in your ears before you turn on the power.  

I do. They still squeal a bit. I generally shove them deeper into my ears and re-adjust a bit until they stop. Which they eventually do, and then rarely squeal after that.