Highlighted
Murrydog
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Re: Tell us your story

My ears hurt for 2 or 3 days but now I can wear them all day now with no pain.
Highlighted
Ellen C
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

My story. I've been wearing traditional hearing aids for about 11 years, though should have been wearing them a lot longer. I've always been frustrated by a number of things about them, which I thought were probably due to a combination of limitations of the technology, design compromises, size restrictions, different priorities than mine, and really not being designed for end-users. (Yes, I've given this a lot of thought over the years.)

I've been wearing the Hearphones for a few months, and they're better for me than my hearing aids in a lot of situations. I think the biggest difference is that the Hearphones give me added speech clarity without added loudness. I'd never thought before about how much quiet contributes to good hearing; I'd always thought that louder was better. The Hearphones make it clear that that's not true. I need some things to be louder, but not everything. The Hearphones directivity is so much better than that of my hearing aids: it makes a big difference in loud restaurants and bars. But I'm also finding them to be better in theaters, both live and movies. I used to need the assisted listening devices offered in live theaters, and I no longer do.

And the sound is just better - not only because of the improvement in noisy environments, but it's also a lot more comfortable in general. Loud noises aren't as sharp, many sounds just aren't as harsh. Sounds feel like they're coming directly into my ears, like with earbuds, rather than coming from the outside world.

The Hearphones are much more user-friendly than my hearing aids. In addition to having more control over what I hear,
it seems clear to me that a lot of thought went into how they work with real-world use and users.

Seriously, what a difference. Thank you for a great product.

robert.van
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

I knew I had hearing loss, but the expense of "regular" hearing aids was just too much. They work great for me and I will just highlight some settings I use. World Volume ranges from -10 to +5, occasionally +10. Just depends on how noisy the environment is and what I need to listen to. Direction is generally everywhere, but I do use directional in restaurants in order to focus on the people at my table. Treble sounds about right at 10 and I rarely change it.

I love the way if gets rid of heating/ac noise, and car noise drops quite a bit too. 

The only thing that gets to me is "snapping" sounds. While clipping some excess plastic from parts I was working on the amplification is LOUD!. If I make sure I clip below "line of site" I.E. head straight ahead, clipping at stomach level the sound seems normal. Looking at the part while I clip causes a very loud snap in the headphones. Someday I hope that type of noise will be attenuated.

I do love them and often wear them everywhere. People ask, I explain, and everything is normal. Having them sticking out of my ears is not an issue for me. The people that complain that they are only "good" for 500 charges, get over it. ALL lithium ion batteries are rated about the same. It is just the technology. Cell phones have the same expected battery life and I paid more for my cell phone that the hearphones. And I consider the hearphones more important to my life than the cell phone. I fully intend on disaembling mine when the time comes to see what the options are for extending their life Smiley Happy

Highlighted
dajudem
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 3, 2019

Here's  my story so far.  I have had the  Hearphones less than a week.  They were suggested to me by a friend who read an article.  I have quite a bad hearing loss but hearing aids simply are not clear enough for me.  In fact they are quite frustrating.  Because I know that Bose makes great sound, I decided to give the Hearphones a try.  First of all, I was not disappointed in the sound.  The clarity is terrific.  But there are other issues I am not sure I can overcome.  The Bluetooth thing is annoying as it doesn't always recognize the Hearphones and it is difficult to re-pair.  It took me 20 minutes last night.  The tiny buttons on the actual phone are difficult to maneuver, so in order to turn the sound up or down, I have to take them off or grab the phone.  (Couldn't we have a tiny remote for the simpler functions like sound up or down? ) I put the small tips on the ends but they are still too big and difficult to stay comfortably in the ear and when I put them in there is a lot of feedback.  The feedback makes it particularly difficult to take them off and put them back in after adjusting the sound.  I would think a slightly longer distance between the mic and the earpiece would make them more comfortable in the ear.  I am really torn with these Hearphones since I love the sound (I can hear!) - so clear - but the issues I mention may be difficult enough for me to decide to return them before the trial period is over.  I have not given up or decided yet.  

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi, dajudem.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  I'm delighted you are enjoying the clarity.

Let me make some suggestions.

Bluetooth connectivity: Please see Cannot connect a Bluetooth® device

Tiny Buttons:  Yes, the controller is small, so it can be discreet. Bose engineered these to be easy to use, but it may take a little practice to get used to using them without looking. The design was to allow you to make changes without having to remove the earpiece from your ear.  Please give this some time or practice changing the volume - before you need to do it in a hurry.

Ear Tips: Please check out this video.

Bose Hearphones: Fitting and changing the tips

Feedback when putting your Hearphones back on: Please see: Using the In-Ear Detection feature

It may take a little time to decide if Bose Hearphones are a good fit for you and your needs. That's why Bose offers the 30-day trial.

I hope you will enjoy your Hearphones.

Sincerely,

ST

Highlighted
sounder321
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 10, 2018

First I cannot say how grateful I am for Bose to have come up with Hearphones. While they have some limitations, they are a huge step up for me.

I do project management and I deal with very diverse groups of people, many nationalities, strong accents and also crappy conference call phone connections and noisy in-person social events.

Before Hearphones, I honestly thought I was going to have to retire early, which would have been financially problematic.

I would be in meeting rooms with lots of reflective surfaces, or in a noisy dinner place entertaining clients or the now popular "open floor plan" offices (which is like Grand Central Station) and could not follow the conversation. That's a REAL problem for someone tasked with leading a USD $13 million project!

Succinctly put, while not a perfect solution the Bose Hearphones pushes the noise to the background and helps me focus on the speaker. I can keep up!

One specific improvement to recommend is a noise limiter, when someone drops silverware in a restaurant it's brutal. I'll post some more later, but when things get hard for the Hearphones project team, please think about my story. You kept me productive and producing income for my family. I feel I can make it to retirement on track now!!