Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 11, 2017

Tinnitus & Bose Hearphones

I have tinnitus. It scares me to put something in my ears which could cause more hearing damage and make the constant ringing in my ears worse. Is this product still ok for me?
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 13, 2017

Re: Tinnitus & Bose Hearphones

I have Tinnitus and plan on trying these out in the near future. Would love to hear any real world experience before then though..

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 9, 2017

Yes, this product is OK for you. I assume you understand you shouldn't blast at louder volumes over a prolonged period of time.

Here's how they might help, theoretically:

1. Noise-cancellation may give you some relief:

a) You'll need less volume to listen to music.

b) You can protect your hearing from further damage in loud noise environments e.g. the movie theater.

c) Blocking out noise + the inherent white noise in ANC may be soothing to you, especially if you have reactive tinnitus.

2. You can experiment with different settings to see if you have any hearing loss or not -- this may help you decide if you need medical follow ups. Basically you get to play around with what it would be like to have hearing aids.

Worse comes to worse, you can return them within 30 days.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @JeffB

Thank you for joining the Hearphones community and for your interest in Hearphones.

I hear your concern and because tinnitus is a medical condition I would encourage you to discuss what is right for you with your doctor.

Sincerely,

ST

@JeffB wrote:
I have tinnitus. It scares me to put something in my ears which could cause more hearing damage and make the constant ringing in my ears worse. Is this product still ok for me?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 17, 2017

So, is there any way to use pre-tax dollars from an HSA account for a qualified purchased as a medical condition for Tinnitus and other hearing deficiencies for the Bose HearPhones?   Would I need a "prescription" from an audiologist or physician?

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

Technically you can have an Rx done up for just about anything if the physician deems it medically necessary.  Hot tubs are a big one - even air conditioners.  As for using funds from an HSA, you'd need to see if it meets the guidelines defined by Internal Revenue Code Section 213(d).  A good reference (not sure how current) is at:
http://www.benicompselect.com/images/documents/213deligiblemedicalexpenses.pdf

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 22, 2017

Jeff
I too have substantial Tinnitus and have had hearphones for a couple of weeks .
I'm still learning but the music mode
Seems to mitigate the ringing. Two things
I can watch TV without blowing out family
And noise canceling just awesome in car
Fred
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 11, 2017

Hello Fred,

I wanted to say thank you for your input. I will look forward to more input as you test them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Chuckling Champion
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I have had tinnitus non-stop for 30 years.  It is due to noise induced hearing loss at a certain relatively high frequency.  I use a white noise machine at night to sleep.  I would be very careful using anything that might increase the volume of sound entering your ears.  Make sure you know the db setting you are using and keep it low.

Question...why get those instead of hearing aids?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Xyz987,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hearphones Community.

You wrote: "why get those instead of hearing aids?"

Hearphones are not hearing aids or hearing aid replacements. 

Hearphones are designed to improve the ability of the general population to hear conversations in noisy environments, and the best way to know they are useful for you is to try them.

ST

@Xyz987 wrote:

I have had tinnitus non-stop for 30 years.  It is due to noise induced hearing loss at a certain relatively high frequency.  I use a white noise machine at night to sleep.  I would be very careful using anything that might increase the volume of sound entering your ears.  Make sure you know the db setting you are using and keep it low.

Question...why get those instead of hearing aids?