Why does it usually take the Bose Hear app so long to connect to the Hearphones?

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

Why does it usually take the Bose Hear app so long to connect to the Hearphones?

I should have asked this question a long time ago, as I've been noticing it for quite some time. I'm in the habit of using the Hear app (iOS) to change modes or directionality, but what flusters me is how long it takes for the app to make a connection to the Hearphones: sometimes it's almost instantaneous, but often it takes 15-20 seconds or more.

What affects the connection time? Can't this be improved?

8 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why does it usually take the Bose Hear app so long to connect to the Hearphones?

Hi thersites,

What model is your iPad? How much RAM and storage does it have?

On your iPad, please go to

Settings

- General

- - iPad Storage

What is the _____ GB of _______ used?

How often do you turn off the iPad? Do you notice any difference in the performance of the Bose Hear app right after restarting your iPad?

ST

Animated Arbiter

Re: Why does it usually take the Bose Hear app so long to connect to the Hearphones?

It's an iPhone 6S. 2GB of RAM, 64 GB of storage (of which only 18 GB are used).

I think you may be confusing launch time, which is affected by RAM and storage issues, with the delays I'm noticing, most of which occurs after the message "Getting Things Ready …"

No, restarting the phone has no effect. Just now, the connection was instantaneous, but after I restarted the phone, I saw the usual delay.

Are you implying that the app makes a near-instant connection to your Earphones every time you launch it?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi thersites,

Thanks for the added information. I'll check out some things here and get back to you tomorrow.

ST

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi thersites,

Anytime a device is not ready when you are can be annoying. Fortunately, it seems we don't have to very long or very often for the Bose Hear app. That's all related to how you use the Bose Hear app. If you start it up, use it and close it down, then you'll experience the wait every time.  If you leave the app running in the background, it is ready much faster.

I was never concerned about the time it took for my Hearphones to connect to the Bose Hear app. Prompted by your question,  I've spent some time with my iPad, my Android tablet, and an online-stopwatch.

I timed how long it took from when I tapped the Hear App icon until I saw the two sliders for World Volume and Bass/Treble. Between tests, I closed the app.

iPad average time was 15 seconds (with occasional but infrequent times as low as 6 seconds and as high as 19 seconds)

- Time waiting for "Getting Things Ready..." was where I saw the greatest variability from 0 seconds to 9 seconds.

Android Tablet average time was 6 seconds (this was consistent)

- Time waiting for "Getting Things Ready..." was negligible. This flashed by quickly.

The times did not vary significantly from a cold or warm starts (whether the devices had just rebooted, or had been running for awhile with other apps in the background).

Note: I experienced these wait times only while initially loading the Bose Hear app. More typically I have the Bose Hear app running while doing other things. Calling it to the foreground, it is ready to go quickly.

Specifications:

iPad

iPad Pro 12.9 in (2017): A10X Fusion with 64bit architecture and M10 motion co-processor

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Storage 256 GB, 207.11 GB free

OS IOS 11.4.1

Android Tablet

Asus Zenpad 8 Z380M

MTK MT8163 (1.30 GHz)
Memory: 2 GB RAM LPDDR3 Memory,  16 GB eMMC

OS Android 7.0

The times were consistent enough to suggest the difference is in the operating systems. 

ST

Animated Arbiter

"That's all related to how you use the Bose Hear app. If you start it up, use it and close it down, then you'll experience the wait every time.  If you leave the app running in the background, it is ready much faster."

What do you mean by "close it down"? (I think you may be more familiar with Android than iOS) I never force quit apps, but iOS automatically terminates certain processes under conditions that it alone determines. The Bose Hear app is always in the background, but I still frequently encounter the delays which, when all the stages are added together, can amount to 20-30 seconds. What matters, I think, is not whether the app is in the foreground or background, but whether the Hearphones have been off and disconnected from the app.

My opinion: this delay is annoying and unacceptable.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi thersites,

I'll send your concerns through to our developers.

Is anyone else experiencing these long delays with the Bose Hear app?

If so, please tell us when you notice it most, what device and operating system you are using.

Thank you,

ST

Friendly Fanatic

I've been seeing delays too - usually it's the app looking for the Hearphones, even though they're on. I'll try to pay attention to the specifics of what's happening and reply again with more detail. iPhone 5, running iOS 10.3.3, and the latest version of the Bose Hear app.

Animated Arbiter

I have the same issue with a Iphone X  Long wait always.