World Volume: Why do you adjust World Volume, and how often do you do it?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

World Volume: Why do you adjust World Volume, and how often do you do it?

Let's talk about World Volume.

Why do you adjust your World Volume, and how often do you adjust it?

We'd like to understand how you are using this feature of your Hearphones.

Thank you,

ST

13 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Re: World Volume: Why do you adjust World Volume, and how often do you do it?

I use it mostly for two functions: when listening to tv, radio or conversation I turn it up to the desired level. When listening to my iPhone, iPad or Mac, I turn it down to zero or lower to cut out the environmental, noise. Is there an other reason to adjust it?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, jmkubler,

Thanks for talking to us.

"Is there another reason to adjust it?"

No, we're just looking for more insights into how you are using your Hearphones.

Thank you,

ST

Animated Arbiter

I have three uses for the “world volume”:

1) To isolate and amplify speech in noisy environments.

2) To turn down live music.  I could do this with the cheaper Quiet Control 30, but I like the dual functionality and I still want to have conversations when I go out.

3) My 17 year old son has a recording studio in his bedroom.  I can turn his music down and mine up!

Animated Arbiter

I adjust world volume (upward) if I use the Hearphones when I'm watching TV. I have a preset for -50 for maximum noise cancellation when I'm working in a café. I set it at 30-40 if I'm trying to hear better in a "noisy environment."

This is a bit off topic, but after several months of use, I find the Hearphones to be underwhelming in their ability to help me hear in classrooms and conferences. They seemed amazing in the Bose store, but their efficacy in real life is another matter. They don't just amplify soft sounds; they amplify *all* sounds to some extent. 

The other problem is the form factor. Not only are they obtrusive compared to truly wireless ear buds (don't believe just me: the Wirecutter observes, "they look like clunky wireless headphones, and we couldn’t see ourselves using these for listening t...), but they're much less convenient to put and take off. 

I really don't think they're worth $200 more than the QuietControl 30.

Friendly Fanatic

When I use HearPhones as a Hearing aid substitute I turn volume to 100. I’d actually like more volume and there is some feedback at 100 so it may not be possible. I turn volume to 0 when I just want to stream music or talk on the phone.
Audible Advocate

I use World Volume to get a full perspective of what’s going on around me. Noteably I appreciate them at my son’s Lacrosse games. I’m able to discern conversations around me far better than without Hearphones. I amplify certain dialogues when I’m curious about the topics being discussed. What really blew me away was when I switched to focused during the first game I used the Hearphones. I suddenly heard coaches instructions to players and captured player conversations on field during competition. It created an entirely new dimension to the game.
Friendly Fanatic

I wish it could go a little louder too.  There is a lady's voice in the background but I can't here what she is saying.

Audible Advocate

I work in a quiet office environment and like to listen to background music.  I turn the world volume up to 10-15 and softly play music from my cell phone via bluetooth. With this arrangement, I can listen to music and be able to hear my coworkers.

Animated Arbiter

I use it to adapt to the various environments I'm in. 

Crowed/noisey rooms I tend to turn it down.  At home, I may turn it up to listen to the television ... usually I hand the TV remote to my wife for her to adjust to her liking and then I adjust World volume for my needs.

It is the most frequent control I use.  Love my hearphones!