metoo
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2018

321 Seeries III HDMI "Firestick"

So I am using a cable box between my tv and 321 system, when I switch over to a firestick that is pluged into my HDMI 3 port I still get audio from my tv, I have to plug an optical cable from the 321 into the tv to get audio from HDMI 3 port, I don't like using the optical cable for tv as it is too difficult to sync the audio and video when watching normal tv. it seems that maybe my connection for the cable box, tv, 321 may not be correct. Also using a harmony remote that is not an issue. Any suggestions thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Emmet_H
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: 321 Seeries III HDMI "Firestick"

Hello Metoo,

If we are understanding the setup correctly, we would recommend connecting all HDMI devices to the TV and then connect the Optical out from the TV to the 321 System. You can then connect the S-Video, composite, or component from the 321 to the TV. We hope this helps, thanks for posting and have a great day.

Best Regards,

- Emmet

Bose Community

metoo
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2018

OK I have used an optical cable from the tv to the 321, but no matter how hard I try I can not sync the audio to the video when I watch cable tv, it is great for the firestick. So I unplug the optical cable to watch regular tv. I am a little confused when you say connect the S-Video, composite, or component from the 321 to the TV. I am using an HDMI cable from the 321 to the tv is that what you mean by componet?

Emmet_H
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Hello metoo,

Are the Firestick and cable box both connected to the TV via HDMI inputs? If so you should use the same optical audio input on the Bose, it should not need to be removed, just the input on the TV should be changed. The output of the Bose can be HDMI, if you have enough inputs on the TV to accommodate all three otherwise, you can use the other outputs. 

Best Regards,

- Emmet

Bose Community

metoo
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2018

OK lets start all over, I have 3 HDMI ports on the TV, HDMI 1is from cable box, HDMI 2 is the 123, HDMI 3 is the fire stick, when I watch reg cable tv all is good, when I watch Firestick I need to connect an optical cable to the 123 from the tv to get audio, if I leave the optical cable connected while watching reg cable tv I can never get the audio synced with the video, maybe I am not connecting the cables properly. How should the cables be connected, thanks for your help

Emmet_H
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Thanks for the clarification metoo. It may be an ARC issue causing this. We would suggest connecting the cable box to an ARC input if you have one on the TV and make sure the Firestick and the 321 are not on ARC connections. For simplicity's sake, we would recommend using the optical for all audio. There are no audio formats the 321 is compatible with that can't be sent via optical. That way you will not need to switch audio inputs on the 321, whatever is playing on the TV will play through the optical cable input on the 321. We hope this helps. 

Best Regards,

- Emmet

Bose Community

metoo
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2018

Thank you for your assistance I really do appreciate your help but what is an arc connection, if I leave the optical cable always pluged in from the tv to the 321 it is almost impossible to sync the audio and video from the cable box, from the firestick it is fine

metoo
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2018

The only way I can get audio from the firestick is to use an optical cable, which creates an audio sycn issue is there any other way to get audio from the firestick I have tried RCA cables but I get no audio, the 321 is plugged into the HDMI2 port, the cable box is plugged into the HDMI1 port, RCA cables go from the cable box to the 321, so when the firestick is plugged into the HDMI3 how can I get audio from HDMI3 to the 321 other than an optical cable, uuuuuuugggggghhhhhh very frustrating

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi there metoo,

Thank you for the information.

Are there any other audio outputs on your television aside from the ARC connection and optical?  Is there a coaxial digital output?  It would be an orange plug, the same shape as the red and white ones.

Failing that, there is no other way I'm aware of to get audio to the 321 system.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

metoo
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2018

OK new update there is an orange plug on the cable box that I am not using no other audio out on the tv than the optical, from what I have been reading the connections that I have made should not be working,it says if using optical don't connect rcas, I have an optical cable and rca plugs connected. There is RCA (red, white) from the cable box to the 321, then there is the optical cable from the tv to the 321. What I have recenty done was assign the optical to the TV, so apparently there is no conflict between the cable audio and the tv audio. Now I don't have the sync issue on the cable box anymore. Does this make sense. Previously the optical was assigned to the cable box. I think reassigning the optical to the tv and running rcas from the cable box to the 321 has made all the difference.