Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

321 universal remote or IR extender

Hello,

I recently moved to a home with an old 321 system installed in the master bedroom, which is great but the install they had was insanely complicated. I was able to pull everything out and get it set up to my Verizon fios TV and google audio. My big challenge, however, is that the boxes are hidden in the closet. I was able to get the fios remote working with an IR extender run through the wall but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to make the Bose remote work. The system was originally installed with a mess of RF eyes and a universal remote. Do I have to go that route or would an IR extender work? Any other remote extenders or universals that could work both my fios and my bose system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: 321 universal remote or IR extender

Hi Rosenthal311,

Thanks for posting!

In order to keep the same configuration while all the devices are in the closet, it would have to be used with the RF signal and universal remote.  The 321 can only accept an IR signal which requires line of sight where as RF will travel through walls.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

Thanks for the response, Tony. Since the 321 is IR, is it possible to use an IR extender, similar to what I am doing with the fios box?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Rosenthal311,

The IR extender should work, as long as it is sending an IR signal to the 321 system.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

Thanks, Brandon.  However, I don't see an IR emitter jack on the back of the 321 receiver?   Can you help me understand how to install / which jack to use that would allow me to use an IR extender? 

Thanks so much!

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

There isn't an IR port on the 321 console.  You would want to use an IR repeater that can receive a signal from the remote, and replicate it for the 321 system behind the doors.  Something like an IR Repeater Kit should do the job.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

Thanks, Brandon.   Found some videos online of the IR Repeater and now its starting to make sense.  Will give one a try.  I appreacite the help.