Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 15, 2019

700 soundbar, Samsung suhd, Directv cable box issues

I recently purchased and hooked everything up. Getting all to power on and off has been inconsistent, especially the Directv box. Remote recognizes it, but it doesn't always power off via Alexa command or Bose remote. I have it set to CEC alternate, power sync on, and tried it off. About half the time the tv and sound bar will power off but not the sat box. When it stays on, if you power the SB and tv back on tv can't find sat box and I have to reset he sat box. Trying to make this as simple as possible for my wife but it never behaves the same way twice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Re: 700 soundbar, Samsung suhd, Directv cable box issues

Author Accepted Answer selected by Spudo769

Hello Spudo769,

I totally understand. If it's working for you now, don't change a thing! The audio quality is the same for both connection types. The optical connection is just direct and takes the soundbar out of the ARC/CEC loop. However you prefer to set it up is the best way. We're here to assist if you have additional questions.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Best Regards,

Greg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello Spudo769! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty, but would like to help! CEC functions vary by manufacturer and since there is no industry standard you may experience inconsistent operation like you are describing. You might turn the CEC off on your Soundbar 700 and connect the audio via optical cable. 

Let us know if that helps!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 15, 2019

Thanks Greg. When you hook up the optical cable, do you leave the hdmi cable hooked up to? It has been more consistent the last few days just powering on the tv and sat box with sat remote. The soundbar fires up 9 times out of 10. When it doesn't, I turn power back off and on with sat remote and it usually works. It would be great if the alexa could just turn everything on with a voice command.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello Spudo769,

It would be nice if Alexa could just do it all with a voice command! That seems to be the direction they are headed with VPA's though it takes a lot of coordination among industry and we aren't there yet. When you connect with optical, remove the HDMI cable. When one source is connected, the other is disabled. If you'd like to use CEC to make it easier for your wife, you might try programming the Bose remote to control your TV and sat box as well. The optical is an always ready backup should you run into trouble.

Best Regards,

Greg

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 15, 2019

Hi Greg,

I did set up the Bose remote to run the TV and Sat box. 2 issues, the wife is comfortable with the DTV remote, but I could help her learn the Bose remote. The other issue is that working with the Bose remote is that it seems to have the same inconsistancy as the Alexa command. Kind of hit and miss if it will work. The DTV box is older, and will occassionally lock up requiring a reset when using extrnal commands from the Alexa or Bose remote. Lately using the DTV remote to power everything up successfully seems to be working 9 out of 10. I am going to keep the HDMI cable for now, I am aware of the extra functions with it, but is there a difference in audio quality between the HDMI and the optical?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Spudo769

Hello Spudo769,

I totally understand. If it's working for you now, don't change a thing! The audio quality is the same for both connection types. The optical connection is just direct and takes the soundbar out of the ARC/CEC loop. However you prefer to set it up is the best way. We're here to assist if you have additional questions.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Best Regards,

Greg

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2019

I purchased the Bose 700 soundbar recently and absolutely think it's the best device I've ever owned. My problem is with the universal remote. I cannot get it paired with my Direct TV box. On the Bose app it shows it is attempting to pair, but it just doesn't. Any ideas or thoughts on what I can try? Thanks.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello smittyz2005,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

In order to assist you with programming the Bose universal remote, can you provide me the make and model of your Direct TV box?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2019

Joel...my model number is C41W-100. Would you please help with a solution?

Highlighted

Hi Smitty,

Thank you providing us with that information, The Directv box you are trying to connect should be compatible.

When you say the app shows it is attempting to pair, which step of the setup process is this at? Is it while it's trying to find you make of cable box, trying to test the controls or later?

If you would like someone to walk through setting up the universal remote with you, just to make it easier for us and yourself to know where in the setup we are getting stuck, if you were to call our Technical Support team for your area, they'd be happy to set this up with you. You can find their contact information HERE, select your region then 'Contact Us'.

Hope this helps

Keith - Community Support -

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.