80Lover
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 28, 2018

80s Hifi Speakers Bose Syncom Keelson Replacement (only audio experts)

Hi there,

I´m trying to set back to life an old 80´s pair of Bose speakers, tagged as Syncom with an unique Serial Number, build with a driver and a tweeter in a wooden box. Of course it had a beautiful sound and I´d like to fix them as a surprise for my father, who is retired from his work after 50 years and I think he will enjoy a lot.

The main problem I have is I cannot find any information about the driver, a Keelson W08E38055, so I cannot even chose a similar response driver to be the replacement.

I hope some of you can provide some help here, or at least any hint of how could I get a replacement for the driver.

I have some pics in case you need it.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: 80s Hifi Speakers Replacement

Hi there 80Lover,

Thanks for the post!

SYNCOM is actually the name of the computer testing that we do for our speaker components.  If you look near the serial number on the speaker, is there any sort of model or name?

As well, if you post a few pictures of them (with and without the speaker grilles) I may be able to identify.

Let me know so we can try and get these fixed 🙂

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
80Lover
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 28, 2018

Hi Brandom,

Thanks for your message. 

Please see related pics attached to this message. Hope this can help.

Regards,

IMG_3286.JPGIMG_3287.JPGIMG_3288.JPGIMG_3303.jpgIMG_3304.JPGD.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi 80Lover,

Thanks for the pictures.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly which speaker this is, though I believe it is one of our discontinued InterAudio line of speakers.  We don't have any replacement parts for them, but you can match up similar drivers.  I believe the woofer is 6" and the smaller driver is 2.5", though I would measure them to be 100% sure.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
80Lover
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 28, 2018

Hi @Brandon_M,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

It would be great if you can provide some options about the replacements, or at least some specs I could use as a baseline to find the right option.

Please take a look to this pic where you can see the woofer diameter, in cm. Hope it helps.

IMG_3328.jpg

Thanks,

D.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi 80Lover,

It looks like an 8 inch paper cone woofer.  Are there any markings on the back that say whether it's an 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker?  My guess is that if the two speakers are wired in parallel, each speaker is 16 ohms.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
80Lover
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 28, 2018

Hi @Brandon_M,

Sorry for late reply.

Multimeter indicates 6.7 Ohm so I guess its a 8Ohm speaker.

Can we with all the info we have gathered look for a valid replacement?

Thanks,

D.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Does it read 6.7 ohm at the speaker terminals on the back of the cabinet, or on the removed speaker itself?

I cannot recommend a specific replacement driver or part for your speakers.  You can look online for speaker re-foaming kits and speaker re-cone kits if you want to try and keep the original drivers, or you might be able to find replacements that look very similar.  

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
80Lover
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 28, 2018

Hi again @Brandon_M,

So 6.7 Ohm (in the pic 6.9) has been meassured

as follows, on the removed speaker itself:

IMG_3404.JPG

I´ve seen some videos about re-foaming and re-cone kits so I might try this first. But if I finally decide to find a replacement for the whole speaker, where do you think I can find proper ones?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

D.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

I'm unable to provide any recommendations for where to buy replacement speakers.  Google will be your friend in this case.  I would look for a retailer in your country that sells replacement drivers.

Best,

Brandon