msg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

901 Series V setup advice please

I have recently aquired a set of 901 Series V Speakers and the Active EQ, and I know close to nothing about sound systems and proper setup. Also I should say that Im not looking to break decibel levels and damage my hearing but I do like to listen to music turned up a bit. Im no audiophile so I wont probaby notice alot of what these speakers were engineered to do, hoping I will though!

As far as my current sound system goes I have a reciever that is an Onkyo XT-SR800 and before I started buying speaker wire and audio cables I wanted to be sure I had a reciever that would work with the needs of the Bose speakers. 

I started by downloading the manual for the Series V and began reading the setup instructions. When it came to the type of wire to use I noticed the distances from the reciever chart and wiring recomendations. My speakers I was hoping to run the wiring through the attic and down the walls to reach the speakers and the distance the wire would travel is over 50 feet. The manual didnt have a distance for this so if anyone can suggest a gauge wire and type that is rated for in wall and hot attic use I would appreciate it.

Also here are a few other questions

The reciever I have is showing that the amp is 100 watts per channel rms into 8 ohms, is this ok for the Bose speakers I have?

The audio cables didnt come with the active EQ so I need to find out just what Ill need and what works with my reciever, assuming its ok to pair them. Any pointers?

11 REPLIES 11
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: 901 Series V setup advice please

@msg wrote:

>I have recently aquired a set of 901 Series V Speakers and the Active EQ, and I know close to nothing about sound systems and proper setup. Also I should say that Im not looking to break decibel levels and damage my hearing but I do like to listen to music turned up a bit. Im no audiophile so I wont probaby notice alot of what these speakers were engineered to do, hoping I will though!

Nice find... I beleive series V is the latest so you should get quite a few years out of them.

>As far as my current sound system goes I have a reciever that is an Onkyo XT-SR800 and before I started buying speaker wire and audio cables I wanted to be sure I had a reciever that would work with the needs of the Bose speakers. 

Is there tape, CD or phono RCA inputs (pair red and white)? Those are the imputs you will need to attach the equalizer? I beleive that infor is in the manual.

>I started by downloading the manual for the Series V and began reading the setup instructions. When it came to the type of wire to use I noticed the distances from the reciever chart and wiring recomendations. My speakers I was hoping to run the wiring through the attic and down the walls to reach the speakers and the distance the wire would travel is over 50 feet. The manual didnt have a distance for this so if anyone can suggest a gauge wire and type that is rated for in wall and hot attic use I would appreciate it.

I suggest a larger 16 or 12 gauge “in wall” rated cable. I suggest buying from a local AV store you trust or electronics installation, home theater type outfit. They usually carry new construction grade bulk wire. The wire looks like coaxial cable. Blue, Black or White, round jacket for easy travel and passage. Be absolutely sure the wire is rated for in wall. This is for insurance purposes. The heavier gauge compensates for the longer distance.

Also here are a few other questions

>The reciever I have is showing that the amp is 100 watts per channel rms into 8 ohms, is this ok for the Bose speakers I have?

Yes, a little on the low end, the 901s like lots of power, they are tanks. Make sure your receiver is set to the correct ohms for the Bose Speakers. I don’t recall what ohms the 901s require.

>The audio cables didnt come with the active EQ so I need to find out just what Ill need and what works with my reciever, assuming its ok to pair them. Any pointers?

RCA patch cables should be fine depending on where you will seat the equalizer(not on top of the receiver).

You might still be able to order the custom 901 stands from Bose. They usually keep a good supply of legacy gear. You will have to phone directly.

That is my two cents worth. I am sure others will dial in with some more advice.

Enjoy those speakers!

msg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

@rickatk wrote:

Is there tape, CD or phono RCA inputs (pair red and white)? Those are the imputs you will need to attach the equalizer? I beleive that infor is in the manual.

@msg wrote: Yes there is, I was using the tape for my turntable though. Ill switch it to the CD ports. 

IMG_20190201_200133145.jpg

@rickatk wrote:

I suggest a larger 16 or 12 gauge “in wall” rated cable. I suggest buying from a local AV store you trust or electronics installation, home theater type outfit. They usually carry new construction grade bulk wire. The wire looks like coaxial cable. Blue, Black or White, round jacket for easy travel and passage. Be absolutely sure the wire is rated for in wall. This is for insurance purposes. The heavier gauge compensates for the longer distance.

@msg wrote

I was wondering if 12 gauge was something to use? Ill definatley check around, wondered if Amazon had something that would work.

@rickatk wrote:

Yes, a little on the low end, the 901s like lots of power, they are tanks. Make sure your receiver is set to the correct ohms for the Bose Speakers. I don’t recall what ohms the 901s require.

@msg wrote

I think from what Ive read that the speakers can handle 300 watts. This is what Im most concerned about, getting the reciever paired properly to not damage anything. I wonder if underpowering with what I have is harmless, just not getting the most bang.

@rickatk wrote:

RCA patch cables should be fine depending on where you will seat the equalizer(not on top of the receiver).

@msg wrote

I have some RCA cables around, just wanted to make sure there wasnt a particular brand/type to use. So, would having the Active EQ stacked just above the reciever on the next shelf in the cabinet be ok?

@rickatk wrote:

You might still be able to order the custom 901 stands from Bose. They usually keep a good supply of legacy gear. You will have to phone directly.

@msg wrote:

I lucked out and the stands were included in the deal, so I have those already.

@rickatk wrote:

That is my two cents worth. I am sure others will dial in with some more advice.

Enjoy those speakers!

@msg wrote

I appreciate the reply, thanks!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@msg Yes I believe you want to access the tape monitor ports. There are some other detailed Bose Community posts with EQ tests you might want to review as well.  It looks like you are on the right track!

I found this next to some scrolls that were kicking around:

https://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/901_guide.pdf

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@msg 

How did you post a photo in your earlier message?

msg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

@rickatk

When you create a reply or post there are icons at the top of the area that you type your message in. I just clicked on the photos icon and searched foir the pic I was looking for and it loads it up. It does something kinda odd though, the posted photo looks dimmed until you click on it once its posted. Ill include a pic of the icon Im talking about. Still working on my 901 deal. I was going to begin with replacing some of them that are damaged with new few foam from simply speakers. Should be fun. Then I need to crawl in the attic and see if I can run my new 12 gauge wire thats wall rated to where Im hoping to place my stands and speakers. Ill post when I get further.photo-icon.jpg

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@msg wrote:

@rickatk

When you create a reply or post there are icons at the top of the area that you type your message in. I just clicked on the photos icon and searched foir the pic I was looking for and it loads it up. It does something kinda odd though, the posted photo looks dimmed until you click on it once its posted. Ill include a pic of the icon Im talking about. Still working on my 901 deal. I was going to begin with replacing some of them that are damaged with new few foam from simply speakers. Should be fun. Then I need to crawl in the attic and see if I can run my new 12 gauge wire thats wall rated to where Im hoping to place my stands and speakers. Ill post when I get further.photo-icon.jpg

@msg

Thanks for replying. I thought there was a photo icon...it seems to have dropped from my Browser (Safari).

msg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

Well I have finally gotten the speakers redone, the foam was rotten and had to be replaced. I tried hooking up a the Active EQ I bought off ebay a month ago to my Onkyo to the best of my ability and I am not hearing any differnce with the sound. Its as if the EQ isnt working at all..or isnt compatable with the Onkyo or not connected properly. I used the tape in out ports on the back and according to the series V manual I found it looks like Ive got the right buttons on and ports connected.

I do know that the Onkyo I have only puts out 110 watts per channel so maybe it has to be an amp with at least 300 watts to hear the EQ differnce.

So bummed but not wanting to give up, just wanting to double check with the Bose commuity and see if anyone can help.

I read this thread on a different site that paint the picture that you have to have an amp with 300 watts per channel and a stero reciever with a pre out.

Here is a link to that.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bose-901-series-v-set

CRTforever
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 9, 2019

Your equalizer should have a 'tape monitor' button. Check to see if that's engaged. Also, double-check to see if your amplifier source is turned to 'Tape 1' or 'Tape 2' depending which way you connected it.

Finally, check to see if your amplifier has a 'Pure Direct' or 'CD Direct Amp' button. If these kind of buttons are pressed, it could bypass your Pre Out/Main In circuitry and your equalizer may not work.

msg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

Thanks for the post I have struck out with the Onkyo HT-SR800. It does have the tape input, but no tape 1 or 2. Just the Tape in and out right and left rca jacks. It appears that the unit does not have a tape monitor function. I have even tried connecting my phono pre-amp to the bose EQ Main Input and the Bose Main Output to the onkyo Aux input in the front of the unit. When I do this and punch out the Bose switch to source vs tape it trips the amp and puts in in stand by mode.

Here is a link to the Onkyo manual I have

https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-sr800_manual_e.pdf