Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 24, 2017

Acoustimass 10 Series IV connections to receiver not using subwoofer?

I'm installing the Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV in a home theater where a Pioneer receiver has in-wall speaker cables to where the 5 speakers installed.  Can the Bose subwoofer simply be connected to the receiver's subwoofer output and the five Bose speakers connected directly to the receiver without losing any sound quality or endangering the sattelites?  Other questions are: 

1. Why would the subwoofer need to be connected to the reciever's five speaker outputs, isn't that just adding more cable and more connections?

2. Is there a DB-15 type connector made by Bose that just has the subwoofer connection to the reciever and not the speaker connections?

3. If I have to go thru the subwoofer is there any reason I couldn't shorten all the cables?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Acoustimass 10 Series IV connections to receiver not using subwoofer?

Hi jyarnold,

Thank you for your post. I'd be happy to help! For use with existing in-wall wiring, we recommend using this Bose Speaker Wire Adapter Kit. The setup process is outlined in the images below:

Once your satellite speakers are connected to the Acoustimass bass module using the adapter kit, the included audio input ribbon cable would connect between the bass module and your receiver. This ribbon cable includes all speaker connections, including the bass module. 

There is actually a digital signal processor built-in to the Acoustimass Bass Module. This applies EQ adjustments to allow the satellite speakers to sound their best. We don't recommend connecting these speakers directly to your receiver. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions,

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 24, 2017

Thanks for the info Brian.  I went ahead and truncated both the ribbon cable and speaker cables incorporating the Acoustimass Bass Module per the recommendations cited below.  Since I had the in-wall wiring terminated to panel in the AV closet it was fairly easy to accomplish and in doing do eliminated a lot of the provided cable making sure to keep polarity and labeling correct.

I'm waiting for the UB-20 mounts to install the Bose satellites and, in the meantime, using my existing Infinity TS1200 satellites and wondering if I should be concerned about damage to the Acoustimass Bass Module crossover since I think the impedance between brands may be different.  In testing everything seems to work as advertised however the Acoustimass Bass Module seems exceptionally boomy making me think the Infinity sattelites may be doing something the Bose speakers hopefully wont

Thanks again and happy new year

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi jyarnold,

Glad to hear everything is set up for the most part! We don't recommend connecting 3rd party speakers to the Acoustimass module directly. It's hard to say if actual damage could be caused without knowing the specifications of the 3rd-party speakers, but we wouldn't recommend it either way. If possible, I'd suggest connecting the satellite speakers directly to the receiver's speaker outputs, until you are able to connect the Bose satellite speakers.

Also, here are a couple of recommended receiver settings for when you have everything connected. These aren't required, and you are free to adjust the audio as you see fit, but these are what we recommend for the best performance:

Crossover Frequency: 80Hz or lowest setting

Speaker size: "Large" (Yes, the cube speakers are small, but again, the Acoustimass module's DSP will make the necessary adjustments). 

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 24, 2017

Thanks again Brian,

I did recieve and install the UB20 mounts and all speakers are now hooked up via the Acoustimass bass speaker and I made the recommended adjustments on the reciever and must say it sounds great!  Much better than the Infinity 1200 system it replaced.  Audio is more defined in terms of spatial surround sound and voice clarity is much better.  The bass is also lest boomy and more realistic.  My wife indicated she can hear dialog much better compared to our last speaker system and if she's happy, I'm happy 🙂 Thanks for the info and assistance and kudos to Bose for another great product! 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi jyarnold, 

That's great to hear! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support