Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

Acoustimass 10 playing music

Hi,

I have paired an Acoustimas 10 with an Onkyo TX NR 676E reciever. Question is should I be playing the music on all stereo, opposed to say, direct, stereo, mono etc (there are a slew of other preset music modes so have only listed what is assume are pretty standard). Are ALL the speakers designed to be run loudly including the middle. Anyone got other options on running this set up for playing music. 

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Acoustimass 10 playing music

Hi Azzaman, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

In regards to your query, I've taken a look at the manual associated with this receiver to try and gage some further understanding for your set up. As I understand it (and please correct me if I have it wrong), this amplifier gives you many different options for listening. Be it DTS, Game modes and Music Listening all under the 'Listening modes' feature of the amplifier.  

Now, though this can be very intimating, I believe many of these features are going to be your personal preference. I have included a Manual HERE that has a really nice description of which each feature does for your speaker set up. This is on pages 32, 33, and 34 of the advanced manual. 

I hope this provides some clarification for you. Of course, if you have further questions, please do come back to me and I will endeavor to all I can for you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Azzaman wrote:

Hi,

I have paired an Acoustimas 10 with an Onkyo TX NR 676E reciever. Question is should I be playing the music on all stereo, opposed to say, direct, stereo, mono etc (there are a slew of other preset music modes so have only listed what is assume are pretty standard). Are ALL the speakers designed to be run loudly including the middle. Anyone got other options on running this set up for playing music. 

Thanks 

All these sound fields became unnecessary for my listening tastes which is a big reason I sold all my older 5.1 gear (Yamaha /Boston Acoustics) and purchased a Cinemate 130 speaker bar which was able to decode PCM, LPCM 2.0 and Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio automatically.

I found my big receiver had lots of options but I eventually put everything to default and let the original codecs do the job.

Multi speaker stereo sounds nice but the purist will argue good stereo sound comes from the front. “Direct” is fine if your content is coming from a blue ray disk player which can push uncompressed audio. Most streaming content is compressed. 

As far as sound fields that is a matter of preference. Play with the receiver settings, figure out what you like, your Acoustimass 10 system can handle it.

Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes I have read all the material on the reciever, but more specifically I was wanting info on the speakers combination, fronts, backs and centre on the Bose. Can they all handle full all stereo sound from the receiver (Centre speaker in particular as both the front and back speakers are identical). My assumption is other speaker set ups, the back speakers and centre speaker are a much less powerful speaker as they would normally only do the surround noise and dialoge in movies and not designed for loud music playing. Hope this query makes sense. 

Thanks

Hi Azzaman, 

Thank you for coming back to me! 

I think I understand what you mean and I'm sorry If I interpreted your question incorrectly. 

The Acoustimass 10 system is unique in the sense that both the front and rear speakers are identical. This means that your stereo sound shouldn't be an issue. Just be aware that as this is a 5.1 system. Some settings on the receiver may cause the system to stay in mono but repeat on all 5 of the speakers. 

I hope this answers your question and clarifies this for you. If not come back to me, I'd love to help! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Azzaman wrote:

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes I have read all the material on the reciever, but more specifically I was wanting info on the speakers combination, fronts, backs and centre on the Bose. Can they all handle full all stereo sound from the receiver (Centre speaker in particular as both the front and back speakers are identical). My assumption is other speaker set ups, the back speakers and centre speaker are a much less powerful speaker as they would normally only do the surround noise and dialoge in movies and not designed for loud music playing. Hope this query makes sense. 

Thanks

With my old Yamaha / Boston Acoustics system I could set the receiver to 5.1 stereo output, one of many many fields. This essentialy filled all the speakers left and right, front and rear with full stereo sound.  The effect was pretty good and emersive, but was a departure from good old stereo.

I would think the Acoustimass 10 system would respond in the same fashion, but only testing will confirm this. As far as the speakers handling the output, that shouldn’t be a problem. All the speakers are built to the same spec.

The interesting piece is how would the AM 10 handle the different sound fields from your receiver. Would it separate the channels like a receiver or do some other 5.1 upscaling decoding wizardry.

Notwithstanding, there is still much to be said about stereo coming from the front speakers only.