Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

Amazon Echo and Bose Lifestyle

Hi,

Quick check. Can I connect the Amazon Echo (or echo plus) to the Lifestyle 650 as an external speaker. So effectively instead of the response coming from Echo (music, voice response etc), i get it on my lifestyle speakers.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Re: Amazon Echo and Bose Lifestyle

Hi balusumanth,

There would be two ways of connecting your Amazon Echo speaker to the Lifestyle 650, the first being via a Bluetooth connection, and the second using an AUX cable (if the device supports AUX out).

If you connect the Amazon Echo device to the system via Bluetooth, you would be able to consistently have the connection to the Echo unless you switched sources on the console. This would break the Bluetooth connection but in order to re-connect you would simply need to put the system back in the Bluetooth source, and tell Alexa to connect once more.

For the AUX connection, you can connect a physical cable from the back of the Echo to the back of the Lifestyle 650. Having said that in order to hear voice commands or audio from the Echo, you would need to be in that assigned source. The audio would not be persistent across other sources.

In the future there will be an option to integrate the SoundTouch devices directly into Alexa using the Alexa Skill, which would eliminate the need to connect the Echo to the system via Bluetooth or AUX, and will handle everything over WiFi. This feature has not been released yet, but our development team is working hard to get this implemented and it should be supported in the future.

Let us know if the above helps clarify things a bit! Thanks!

-Michael

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

Thanks Michael. This helps. To clarify, if I connect the Echo via Bluetooth then I would be able to give voice commands to Echo for changing the music while the music plays on the 650. Right?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Anytime balusumanth!

That is certainly correct! As long as your Echo is connected to the system via Bluetooth, any voice commands will be played through the Lifestyle 650, as well as any music that is initiated using a voice command.

Thanks!

-Michael

Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

Hello, to add to the original question. I have an old Bose Lifestyle 12 system and tried to hook it up to an Echo Dot via a Y cable and the Bose Aux port, however there isn’t any sound.

I’ve tested it as Echo is playing music, and once I plug in the audio jack, there’s no audio, and when I unplug, there’s audio again on the Dot.

Any thoughts, other than a bad cable?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi jza619, 

Thank you for the post. I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. Which input on the Lifestyle 12 did you connect it to? Can you double check to make sure the media center is set to that particular source? Do other sources work normally on the LS12, like AM or FM? Curiously, can you try to use that same cable and connect a different device to the LS12 and see if it works? Please let us know! 

Kind Regards