Highlighted
Matthew Yon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2018

Bass Module 700 not working with 700 soundbar

Good evening concerned customers,

I sit here severely disappointed at the latest Bose addition to surround sound to report that the Bose bass module 700 successfully connected to the Bose music app, shows up, goes through calibration with adaptiQ, and produces no sound.

I am on firmware 2.1.10 in the app using an android device lg g7 thinQ. I have followed the instructions of another forum user that stated to remove the sub, run calibration, and reconnect the sub no avail. I have already purchased the rear surround wireless speakers and will be returning everything if I cannot get resolution to this issue.

If this is a software fix that has no anticipated release date, I will be returning this product as well. I have always been a Bose customer and I am starting to question my loyalty to the brand.

Please help or forever lose a customer.

V/r,
Matt
20 REPLIES 20
Community Manager

Re: Bass Module 700 not working with 700 soundbar

Hi Matt,

Thanks for writing in!  Sorry to hear about the bass issues, but would be happy to help!

• How far away is the bass module from the soundbar?
  • Does this issue happen whether it's music or content from the TV?
  • When you have a bass heavy song playing, if you place your hand on the bass module, is it vibrating or thumping at all?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Slingshot
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 23, 2018

Geez... and another one.  I'm begining to think that Bose released this product too soon and have not worked out all the kinks.  Very disappointed that we have to deal with all these issues from out of the box. 

What a shame Bose.  This is not acceptable and i will surely spread the word if this doesn't get fixed.  I too have been a Bose fan is this is the first time that i've had so many issues with a single Bose product.  This is ridiculous... this reminds me of buying a lemon car! 

I really feel bad for the moderators here and they are doing a great job, but the engineers at bose should step up and fix this problem!  Shame, shame, shame!

Very disappointed...

Matthew Yon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2018

Tony,

I have not given up yet on the system. I just installed the virtually wireless surround sound speakers and will be experimenting with the set up again to see if I can fix the sub woofer issue.

Good news though, I did hear some bass last evening when I turned the sub up to +100 and watched a movie (Wreck it Ralph). It was still nominal at best and sounded "muted" so to speak, but I'm excited to try the other members suggested solution of removing the subwoofer from the music app, running adaptiQ with the soundbar and rear surround speakers, and then adding the bass module to see if the issue may be with the location of the bass module inside of the app (2nd position now vice 3rd or 4th position after reconfiguring the speakers).

I work in a test and development IT organization so there are a few past experience options I can try to resolve the issue.

To answer your questions, the bass module is approximately 3 - 4 feet away from the sound bar, but it is at a diagonal location from a vertical perspective as the soundbar is resting on a stone fireplace mount about 4 feet in the air. The bass module is on the ground to the right (when facing the tv and soundbar).

I have not tried to jam out to a song quite yet, but when I do, I would like to know what to expect from your perpsective in terms of "earth shattering" bass that other members report. More to follow, and thanks again for your continued support.

V/r,
Matthew Yon
Community Manager

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the update!  We've seen a few scenarios that could potentially cause this low bass issue.  First being, the source device.  Some TV's will downgrade the audio to PCM 2.0 from HDMI sources.  To see if this may be the case, we can test by disconnecting the ARC connection and connecting a source directly to the optical port on the soundbar and making sure the output of the source is set to 5.1.

Another reason could be the actual size/materials in the room during the calibration process.  The AdaptIQ process works great in most rooms, but may not be desirable in say a smaller room.

Like you mentioned, I would recommend factory defaulting the system while the bass module is connected wirelessly to the system.  From here, when you reset up the Soundbar 700, only connect the wireless Rear Surround speakers to the system and leave the bass module disconnected from power.  From here, run AdaptIQ and finish the soundbar setup.  At this point, you should be able to add the bass module to the soundbar after setup and it should perform without calibration.

Definitely let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Matthew Yon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2018

Tony,

No such luck on the steps.

Step one was determining if your solution for the optical out versus the ARC connection was the problem. It was not. I ended up messing up my tv by changing the settings as you suggested, and then I had to factory default tv settings to resume the sound bar issues.

I noticed even when I played both punchy bass (Mariah Carey All I Want for Christmas) and deep bass (Ice Cube Ghetto Vet), the bass was barely noticeable. The ARC connection would have nothing to do with the Alexa activated music and therefore debunked the bass module sound problem.

I played one more song (I'm on a Boat by the Island Boys), and turned the volume up to 50 with the bass settings at +100 to notice any reasonable bass. This is unacceptable and now I have massive holes in the wall from the rear surround skins speakers (toggle bolt application for the wall mounts). You have to help me Tony.

The app seems very buggy as well. It keeps failing to proceed to the next steps without me having to force stop the application and reenter it. Please provide additional steps.

Talk to you tomorrow.

FYI, I have the return shopping labels printed out for the entire system if you can't fix my problem by next week.

V/r,
Matt
Community Manager

Hi Matt,

I appreciate all the time and troubleshooting you've gone through.  It does sound like an issue with the bass module specifically.  I would recommend contacting your local support team by clicking HERE.  Just select your country and Contact Us at the bottom of the page.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Matthew Yon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2018

Tony, I have an update for you.

I took my bass module to the local Best Buy (out of convenience as the only local Bose store is over an hour away), and had an appointment to test my sub woofer with the display model. Bottom line is: there was a loud "pop" as the auxiliary input jack was plugged into the back of my module (due to the display model having live power at the time of cable insertion), and then the store associate activated the demo on the sound bar.

Viola, I had bass, and I could see the speaker pulsate and produce beautiful sound. I'm not sure if the issue could have been related to a "stuck" electronic component, or a " not so user friendly" set up. I'll explain below after I complain a little more (a little honest humor for you).

I would first like to state that I was disappointed with the in store set up of the Bose 700 "WIRELESS" system that was connected only via an audio cable to work (sends a bad message about a wireless marketed platform). There was also nobody in the store who had the Bose music app available to show me the settings of the speakers, as the associate told me the Bose rep sets up the speakers and leaves (the music and audio options are on a preset device with 3 buttons to activate). Lastly about the store set up. Can you please make the demo not play music by Ed Sheeran? It seems like a waste of Bose sound to me.

Now to the home install again. I hooked up the bass module wirelessy and wah wah wah, no bass. I plugged in the auxiliary cable and less wah wah wah, minor bass. Final steps, check my audio settings again.

I think this is the root cause of my problem and potentially for other users. The app was set to "dialogue" mode which greatly amplifies the treble and front speaker output, but seems to mute the base, almost entirely.

I did a few things at this point: 1) I moved the speaker 10 feet away into the corner of my living room ( it was originally next to a book shelf, on the ground, 3 feet to the right of the sound bar.) Now it's all the way to the left when facing the sound bar. 2) I turned OFF dialogue mode. 3) I turned the bass back to +100 and "HOLY EARTHQUAKE!" I haven't even turned the sound up to volume 50 of 100 yet and my wife was complaining. That's essentially how I know the system is better; when my wife tells me to turn the bass down.

At the end of the day, can I ask that you confirm if the bass is "muted" when dialogue mode is activated? Secondly, can the development team make that adjustment to keep the bass at the same levels on the sub woofer while the sound bar is adjusted for dialogue mode? I think a better video on your home site exposing a set up or demo of the product would save you guys a lot of time.

Have a great New Years Tony and thanks for your help. I will continue testing the system and provide you and your team valuable feedback.

Matt
Bubbaloo
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

Thank you so much for going through all of that. I have the same issue yet I don’t have dialogue mode turned on. I did hear a pop at some point when connecting the module via hard wire but heard no difference in bass increase.

I am so disappointed. I hope an exchange will solve my problem. Who did you make an appointment with at Best Buy to get this checked out? Geek squad?
Matthew Yon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2018

Bubbaloo,

I did make an appointment with geek squad, but I would recommend a visit to the Bose store, or a specialty audio store that has the app installed.

Make sure to read through the rest of my trials and errors until I got everything to work again.

System has been up and running again without dialogue mode on and the base set at +0.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions I can help you through.

Matt