Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 23, 2019

Bose 500 soundbar : no sound via HDMI

Hi Guys,

We recently purchased the Bose 500 soundbar and everythin has been working fine. Today however the unit has lost its sound output. It has always been connected via HDMI using the samsung one connect since purchase around 6 weeks agobut has suddenly stopped. Nothing within the set up has changed. 

I tried the unit with an optical cable from previous solo bar and the unit will output sound no problem. I have performed all the obvious options from a unit reboot to resetting the home wifi with no luck. It is no problem to use the optical cable but i would like to know what has caused this or if there is anything potentially wrong with the unit.

I have seen several threads with sound issues but none where the sound was ok then stopped.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Chuckling Champion
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Bose 500 soundbar : no sound via HDMI

Probably lost the HDMI handshake with TV.  Unplug all cables including power cables.  Wait a few minutes and plug power back in and turn on.  Reconnect HDMI and see if it will reestablish connection.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi there Mako,

Thank you for reaching out to the community. @Xyz987 was definitely correct that this could be one of the issues. One recommendation from me is that you check your settings in your TV.

We are specifically looking for one specific settings. I believe you have a Samsung TV, and I could be slightly wrong on the steps to find this setting. So I believe the setting is:

Sound Settings < Advanced/Expert Settings < HDMI Audio Format: We need to change this to PCM if it isn't already. This is our preferred format and usually TV manufacturers default it to Bitstream.

Changing this setting should allow the Soundbar to communicate easily and effectively with the TV through HDMI CEC. In turn this can create a better handshake and it shouldn't fail to make a handshake with the TV on startup.

Let us all know how you get on with this. Im sure we will all be delighted to know.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 23, 2019

Hi Brandon

Thank you for your reply. and thank you for the advice as this has worked. Strange though as i have never altered any of the HDMI audio output settings so i assume it has always been set to Bitsream but has always workied up until yesterday?

Thanks again Man Happy

Highlighted
Chuckling Champion
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

That's strange.  My Bose Soundtouch 300 using HDMI works regardless of this setting on my LG TV.  I had to switch to PCM to get my Sennheiser headphones to work using optical.