Highlighted
Troopa
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 17, 2019

Bose 535 Series III SoundTouch turned into a Brick

Hello,

I did a first time install of my 535 Series III.  All was fine until updating the SoundTouch software.  It would reach 41%, jump to 100%, said it Failed, gave me the option to Exit the Update or Retry the Update, but it wouldn't let me Exit.  I'd Retry the Update but it would always Fail so I pulled the power plug.

So I thought I'd update the SoundTouch the manual way with the USB thumb drive.  After downloading Update.stu onto the thumb drive and inserting it into the SoundTouch, I held in the Control button for three seconds after plugging in the power.  The white Wi-Fi light flashed a couple times. I waited for more than 30 minutes and still no lights on the SoundTouch.

I entered the Setup Mode and it doesn't recognize that the SoundTouch adaptor cable is connected.

Where do I go from here?  Is there a way to flash back to the original SoundTouch factory software version and start over?

Thank you

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Bose 535 Series III SoundTouch turned into a Brick

Author Accepted Answer selected by Troopa

Hi Troopa,

Thank you for providing that update - I'm happy to hear that this has successfully resolved the issue for you. I have amended this post with your great feedback - hopefully this will be able to assist future customers should they also be experiencing the same issue. Please also feel free to use the "Accept as Solution" button on that post to guide other users toward the solution that worked for you.

As always, if you require any further assistance please do reach out again via the Communities and we'd love to help.

Kindest,

Andy B

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Troopa,

I'm very sorry to hear your having this issue. Hopefully we can help you with this.

Is there a light on the back of the Adaptor? If there is can you unplug the adaptor and plug it back in again?

If this doesn't work can we try factory resetting the adapter? We can do this by:

1. Turn the system on.
  2. On the back of the control console, disconnect both the Bose link cable and USB cable.
    • If an Ethernet cable is connected to the adapter, disconnect it as well.
  3. On the back of the SoundTouch adapter, press and hold the Control button.
  4. While pressing the Control button, reconnect the Bose link cable to the control console.
  5. Continue pressing the Control button for five seconds or until the LED status indicator is blinking white.
  6. Reconnect the USB cable to the back of the control console.
    After releasing the Control button, the SoundTouch adapter will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes to complete the factory reset procedure. During this time the status LED will display various colors and blink patterns, including blinking white, solid white, blinking amber, and no LED. Once the adapter resets, the LED will flash white and then change to solid amber to indicate it is in initial setup mode.
    • If an Ethernet was connect to the adapter, reconnect it after the LED status indicator is solid amber.

Let us know how this goes. We are always here to help!

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

Troopa
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 17, 2019

There weren't any lights On on the back of the SoundTouch Adaptor.

I tried the factory reset procedure several times but it wasn't successful.  I even tried unplugging the power and retrying the procedure.  Each time after releasing the Control Button (in Step 6), the LED turned Off but it never flashed again.

I entered the Setup Mode and it still doesn't recognize the attached Adaptor Cable.

Community Manager

Hi Troopa,

Thank you for attempting troubleshooting and to factory reset the adapter. My final recommendation is to attempt the USB update one final time. To reiterate this process - following uploading the "Update.stu" file onto an empty USB drive, follow the below steps:

1. Turn on the system console to any source
  2. Insert the USB drive into the SETUP B connector on the SoundTouch adapter
  3. Unplug the adapter's Boselink cable from the back of the console
  4. Unplug the Console USB cable from the wireless adapter
  5. On the back of the adapter, press and hold the Control button to the left of the Wi-Fi indicator
  6. While holding the Control button, plug the adapter's Boselink cable back into the console
  7. Wait three seconds and then release the Control button
  8. The update process should take less than five minutes during which time the LED on the Adapter will blink as follows:
    1. Blink white 6 times staying solid white for 2 seconds on the last blink
    2. Blink white 5 times staying solid white for 2 seconds on the last blink
    3. Blink white 4 times staying solid white for 2 seconds on the last blink
    4. Blink white 3 times staying solid white on the last blink while the update is downloaded from the USB drive
    5. Blink white 2 times staying solid white on the last blink until the update is installed
    6. Blink white 10 times to indicate the update is complete
  9. Remove the USB drive from the SETUP B connector
  10. Reconnect the Console USB cable

Should this fail, as the adapter is currently non-responsive and we have exhausted all possible troubleshooting, I encourage you to reach out to technical support within your region to explore service options for your adapter. Visit our website HERE, then select your location and use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of the page.

Kind regards,

Andy B - Community Support

Troopa
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 17, 2019

Your USB update procedure is slightly different than your website Support procedure.  The website says to unplug the power cord before pressing the Control Button.

Also, include in your procedure 'Step 3.5 Unplug the console USB cable' and 'Step 9 Plug in the console USB cable'

The USB update was successful!  After this, the SoundTouch required an additional update.  Then a system console update was required to use the SoundTouch adapter.  The system console update was successful too.

My next feat is to connect to the SoundTouch using your SoundTouch Connect app.  That's for another day.

Thank you very much for all your assistance.

Stay safe

Troopa

Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by Troopa

Hi Troopa,

Thank you for providing that update - I'm happy to hear that this has successfully resolved the issue for you. I have amended this post with your great feedback - hopefully this will be able to assist future customers should they also be experiencing the same issue. Please also feel free to use the "Accept as Solution" button on that post to guide other users toward the solution that worked for you.

As always, if you require any further assistance please do reach out again via the Communities and we'd love to help.

Kindest,

Andy B