Miller Time
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2018

Bose 901. VI

I just purchased a pair of 901s, when I brought them home and hooked them directly to my "Yamaha RX-V1070",the Foam surrounds blew off did I cause this?
Or did I get ripped ?
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Bose 901. VI

Hello Miller Time,

While you always want to use the equalizer with the 901's, connecting them directly to a receiver should not cause this type of issue. We would assume these were already damaged when you purchased them. We hope this helps, thanks for posting and have a great day.

Best Regards, -Emmet Bose Support

Miller Time
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2018

Thank you for your reply. You are correct when I picked the speaker's up "I did notice several drivers had cracks in them. When I hooked them up to my Yamaha receiver which by my standards has a little power ! The foam would it fly out of the drivers like confetti in a fan ?

Hello Miller Time,

Thanks for the reply.

This really can depend on the type of environment they are in. Any speakers can suffer from splitting or cracking in certain kinds of environments. I looked up your receiver, and it seems fine as for the power output as well.

Regards,

Joel 

Miller Time
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2018

Hello Joel I appreciate your reply to my situation. If the power rating of my receiver is well within the limits of the speaker did someone just pass off a used up worn out ready to be thrown away pair of speakers on me.
I don't have a whole lot and any time I spend $250 of my hard earned money on something I want it to work.Yes I knew the speakers had suffered some damage over the years . Perhaps my eagerness to own a pair of Bose 901 overruled my better judgement. about what would it cost to have the drivers refoamed ? "would it be worth it,and what would they sound like after repairs. Did I get $250 worth of kindling ? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hello Miller Time,

At the time these speakers were made, they can certainly be susceptible to deterioration on the speakers.

My personal opinion since I am a huge fan of our 901's, I would look for a 3rd party stereo repair to have them fixed. Other users have mentioned that they work wonderfully after having this fixed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Joel