MrBill56
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2020

Bose AV18 Format Unsupported

I have an AV18 that plays CD's with no problems. It also seems to play older DVD's with no problems. But on newer DVD's it gives a "FORMAT UNSUPPORTED" error message. The rejected DVD's play fine on other DVD players. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: Bose AV18 Format Unsupported

Author Accepted Answer selected by MrBill56

Hey MrBill56, 

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Have you checked the region codes for the newer DVDs you are using? Your AV18 will be region-locked, whereas your other DVD players may be multi-region compatible. 

You can check the region of the DVD by looking for the symbol on the DVD case. 

Region 1 - U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, & Bermuda

Region 2 - Europe, Japan, South Africa, and the Middle East (including Egypt)

Region 3 - Southeast Asia, East Asia, (including Hong Kong)

Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean

Region 5 - Eastern Europe, Baltic States, Russia, Central and South Asia, Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia

Region 6 - China

I'll look forward to your reply.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Vicky_W

Hey MrBill56, 

Welcome to the forums. 

Let's look into this more. What system do you have that the AV18 is connected to? Also, the newer DVD's, what format are they? Are they BlueRay? 

I look forward to your reply. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
MrBill56
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2020

Hello Vicki,

The AV18 is hooked up to a Harman Kardon receiver and Sony speakers. The DVD's that don't play are standard DVD's not Blu-ray's.

Jeff_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by MrBill56

Hey MrBill56, 

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Have you checked the region codes for the newer DVDs you are using? Your AV18 will be region-locked, whereas your other DVD players may be multi-region compatible. 

You can check the region of the DVD by looking for the symbol on the DVD case. 

Region 1 - U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, & Bermuda

Region 2 - Europe, Japan, South Africa, and the Middle East (including Egypt)

Region 3 - Southeast Asia, East Asia, (including Hong Kong)

Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean

Region 5 - Eastern Europe, Baltic States, Russia, Central and South Asia, Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia

Region 6 - China

I'll look forward to your reply.

View solution in original post

MrBill56
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2020

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried playing several cd's in the unit and all region 1 cd's played fine. But any multi-region cd gave the "Format Unsupported" error message. So obviously that is the problem.

I also have the original Bose Setup & Demonstration cd. It is a multi-region (1-8) cd. So is the AV18 supposed to support all regions and if so is there a fix to restore that.

Charlotte_G

@MrBill56 Take a look at the following article to change the video format.

Let me know if this helps! 

MrBill56
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2020

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

Still trying.

Keith_L
Community Manager

No worries MrBill56, thanks for trying that and letting us know!

It would definitely be worth checking the region code that the DVD player in the Lifestyle is set to. You can do this by following these steps:

• Power off your system
  • On the system console, press and hold the Enter button: House Code appears on the console display
  • While continuing to hold the Enter button, repeatedly press the Store button until DVD REGION CODE appears. The number shown is the region code
  • Release the Enter button, then press the Store button to clear the display

I'd also recommend checking the specific format of the DVDs you are having trouble playing. I've put a Video Disc Compatibility guide below, if your discs are not one of the supported formats then they won't play through the DVD player.

LS18 II disc comp guide.JPG

MrBill56
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion Keith. The AV18's region code is 1. I bought it used and it came with a 2004 Bose Setup and Demonstrations DVD. That DVD is a multi-region disc (1-8). It won't play on the unit. Is it possible that this disc doesn't belong with this unit or was the unit originally supposed to support multi-region discs?