PatrickB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 14, 2015

Bose CineMate 220 and Nvidia Shield Tv 2017

Hey all,

I have a Bose CineMate 220 home cinema set and have recently purchased an Nvidia Shield TV 2017. I did not expect any problems but I have now been fiddling around with it for 2 days and want to share my findings with this setup, and ask for your advice.

Current situation.

Currently I have the Bose CineMate 220 connected to the ARC port of my LG UHD 4k TV and the Nvidia Shield TV 2017 to HDMI this works sometimes and half of the time I get no sound on my Nvidia Shield which requires me to disable my decoder and restart the Shield, the Bose and the TV without the decoder to get back sound again. You might ask why did you connect it this way, well, it seems my Cinemate 220 does not support 4k resolution at 60 frames per second so when I use the GAME port on my Bose I only get a flickering screen and can't do a thing.

My questions are:

In the future, will it be possible to connect the Shield to my Cinemate 220 with the 4k ultra hd resoution with 60 fps, maybe through a software update?

Is there anything I can do with the sound problem that I am having when I connect it to my TV and use HDMI ARC for sound?

Will it work if I lower the resolution to 1080p and connect it to my Bose then? (Just thought of this now but I won't be able to view 4k content)?

Any help would be apreciated, also settings I might be able to try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bose CineMate 220 and Nvidia Shield Tv 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by PatrickB

Hi PatrickB, 

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. The issue may be related to HDCP 2.2. There is an article HERE explaining. Can you try connecting your sources directly to your TV and then feed the audio back to the Bose to see if that works?

While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  HDCP 2.1 cannot be firmware updated to HDCP 2.2.  Additionally, HDCP 2.2 was designed to not be backwards compatible with 2.1.

Many newer devices require that all connected HDMI products support HDCP 2.2 to pass video.  This does create a problem for the SoundTouch system’s console and prevents its ability to pass video from these sources.  For this reason, we recommend that owners connect their 4K sources directly to the TV with HDMI and output the TV’s audio through a digital audio connection to allow the Bose system to reproduce the Dolby Digital or DTS formatted surround sound.

As you can imagine, there can be a period of time between when a product is developed and when it is finally available for sale.  Traditionally, we have designed products to work with the newest technologies when those technologies become an industry standard. In this case the system’s console became incompatible with HDCP 2.2 over the past year since the system became available for sale.

We apologize for this situation and encourage you to stay tuned for new product announcements that will always be available first on Bose.com

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 14, 2015

Update from my side, the cinemate does not even seem to support the 1080p resolution of the shield.

So as far as I know there is no way to connect the shield to the bose. I wish I knew the massive limitations of this not eve 2 year old home cinena set. I would have never bought it.

Maybe somebody has an idea what I can try.
Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by PatrickB

Hi PatrickB, 

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. The issue may be related to HDCP 2.2. There is an article HERE explaining. Can you try connecting your sources directly to your TV and then feed the audio back to the Bose to see if that works?

While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  HDCP 2.1 cannot be firmware updated to HDCP 2.2.  Additionally, HDCP 2.2 was designed to not be backwards compatible with 2.1.

Many newer devices require that all connected HDMI products support HDCP 2.2 to pass video.  This does create a problem for the SoundTouch system’s console and prevents its ability to pass video from these sources.  For this reason, we recommend that owners connect their 4K sources directly to the TV with HDMI and output the TV’s audio through a digital audio connection to allow the Bose system to reproduce the Dolby Digital or DTS formatted surround sound.

As you can imagine, there can be a period of time between when a product is developed and when it is finally available for sale.  Traditionally, we have designed products to work with the newest technologies when those technologies become an industry standard. In this case the system’s console became incompatible with HDCP 2.2 over the past year since the system became available for sale.

We apologize for this situation and encourage you to stay tuned for new product announcements that will always be available first on Bose.com

Thank you 

PatrickB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 14, 2015

Thanks for your reply.

It does work when I connect it to HDMI port 3 of my TV.

The sound will be done over HDMI ARC,

This is the only way I can get it to work. I am just happy it works at the moment.

I will watch for new products, will be looking for a new home cinema set end this year when I buy my new TV as well.

So let's see what is comming from Bose.