Bose Cinemate 130 4K HDR setup

SOLVED
Wistful Whiz

Bose Cinemate 130 4K HDR setup

There has been many posts about 4K hookup, however my question deals specifically with not getting a DD5.1 signal when I tried connecting all my HD sources directly to my 9 year old Samsung Plasma TV. The TV has 4 HDMI ports and an optical audio out port,  but no ARC. I am trialling this setup(HD cable, AppleTV, BD player) as I am waiting for my new Samsung Series 8000 4K TV due in any day now. 

I followed the setup advice for 4K / Cinemate 130 but oddly I am only seeing LPCM2.0 displayed on the Cinemate 130 console screen. I checked all the settings including making sure menu item #11 is set to TV auto. There’s seems to be good sound and separation but I beleive the TV is only putting out a 2.0 signal to the Cinemate console. I checked my Samsung Plasma TV manual and it said if I have connected DVD players, Cable boxes and other DVI devices using HDMI cables, the TV would only put out LPCM 2.0 signals over optical. 

I am curious and hopeful that a new TV will not have this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by rickatk

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose Cinemate 130 4K HDR setup

Hi rickatk,

Thanks for posting!

The reason your existing TV may be only outputting LPCM2.0 is a limation of the TV's internal audio card. I would verify before purchasing a new TV what signals it can output using the optical connection.

There are some newer TV's that are limited to LPCM2.0 and others that can provide a full 5.1 signal.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

4 REPLIES 4

Hi rickatk,

Thanks for posting!

The reason your existing TV may be only outputting LPCM2.0 is a limation of the TV's internal audio card. I would verify before purchasing a new TV what signals it can output using the optical connection.

There are some newer TV's that are limited to LPCM2.0 and others that can provide a full 5.1 signal.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

@Joel_D wrote:

Hi Joel:

Indeed this seems to be the case. One article I read, it is older, said Sony, LG and Vizio offer DD 5.1 over optical but not Samsung. However other sources, including Samsung, indicate their latest TVs support DD 5.1 over optical. 

Interestingly,  I noticed the sound from my old, ghosting Samsung Plasma has been pretty good on my Cinemate 130 even in LPCM2.0 over optical. I am now interested in what the Bose gear does with decoding LPCM 2.0 signals.

Hopefully my new Samsung TV will support DD 5.1 over optical as I transition(slowly) to 4K. As previously suggested, plugging in the components using  HDMI 2.2 cables to the TV and connecting the sound via optical, I can start enjoying 4K with little more outlay than some cables and of course the new TV. My cable serivce provider, Shaw, has very limited 4K service right now. The 1080p serivce is excellent though. I am not sure if I want to invest in 4K Apple TV at this point either.

I would like to stay with the SoundTouch platform, before moving on to say, Bose Smart Home Series, in a few years anyway. So hopefully the optical audio connection workaround will work.

Older article: https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/

Newer Samsung Review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Wistful Whiz

@Joel_D wrote:

Hi rickatk,

Thanks for posting!

Hi Joel: 

Samsung tech support also advises that the TV model I have purchased will support DD5.1 play through over optical. That remains to be seen as I haven’t received the TV yet. At any rate the news is encouraging.

Fair say upgrading to a 4K tv and using the optical audio connection option while rendering the ST130 console somewhat redundant, at least this setup will give me a few more years life on the SoundTouch platform. 4K sources for me remain very limited but at least there are options that don’t require replacement of the Cinemate system and by extension my other SoundTouch devices quite yet.

Thanks again for clarifying the 4K optical solution for older Bose sound bars.

Wistful Whiz

@Joel_D wrote:

Hirickatkk,

Thanks for posting!

The reason your existing TV may be only outputtingLPCM22.0 is alimationn of the TV's internal audio card. I would verify before purchasing a new TV what signals it can output using the optical connection.

There are some newer TV's that are limited toLPCM22.0 and others that can provide a full 5.1 signal.

I am happy to report that my new Samsung 8000 Series tv supports Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 through the optical port. I can also report there is a marked difference in sound between LPCM 2.0 and DD55.1. The DD 5.1 sound is much fuller and more expansive. The Cinemate 130 definitely responds to the codecs it is processing. I had gotten used to the DD5.1 sound but for a couple weeks I was listening LPCMM 2.0 as my old TV didn’t process DD 5.1 through the optical port. Indeed the Bose sound bars definitely work some magic with the various codecs.

As an aside I tried hooking up a 4K Apple TV as an experiment and the 4K content from Netflix and Apple was very good. A real setup up from 1080P. 

All in all my new setup, sources connected directly to the TV via HDMII and optical connected to the TV’s optical port works quite well. I am encouraged going forward about 4K options without having to sell off my Cinemate 130.