garlicusurp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

Re: Bose Cinemate 130 - upgrade to 4k unit

Sorry, failed to mentioned i'm on a Cinemate 520 which does have real 5.1, but was assuming the exact same limitation applies in so far as the 4k. My Sony Bravia KD-55X8500D doesn't appear to support multichannel output via ARC or the optical out, so I've opted for 1080p HDR on my Apple TV 4k for now as there isn't much 4k content about. 

dobbor1
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

Yep, I can’t tell the difference in sound quality with either options. My Samsung TV will pass through DD 5.1 so I am leaving all gear connected to the TV for 4K.

I think the sound bar sounds excellent however it’s connected.

Bagood12
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 20, 2018

Hi Brent,

I just read your response to Leif about Cinemate 130 and 4K integration. I wonder if my situation is different with the specific products I have and if there are any potential new work around since your response in August 2018.

I have a Cinemate 130 that is connected to a Sony TV XBR55850C with XFINITY and AppleTV.

I just purchased a NEW Sony 4K TV XBR55900E from ABT in Glenview, IL. that I will be putting in the place of that XBR55850C. Is there anything that you know of that will make my investment in the BOSE Cinemate 130 worth while with a 4K TV?

Can that Cinemate 130 work with the NEW 4K TV I just purchased? I was thinking HDMI, Optical and other in/out connections with potential software upgrades?

Please advise...

Thanks,

Brian
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Brent_B wrote:

Hi Leif, 

Welcome to the community! The Cinemate 130 is a great system and I can definitely understand your interest in upgrading the control console to take advantage of 4K. The biggest issue with the 130 is HDCP copy write protection. While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  HDCP 2.1 cannot be firmware updated to HDCP 2.2.  Additionally, HDCP 2.2 was engineered to not be backwards compatible with 2.1.

Many newer devices require that all connected HDMI products support HDCP 2.2 to pass 4K video.  This does create a problem for the SoundTouch system’s console and prevents its ability to pass video from these sources.  For this reason, we recommend that owners connect their 4K sources directly to the TV with HDMI and output the TV’s audio through a digital audio connection to allow the Bose system to reproduce the Dolby Digital or DTS formatted surround sound.

Brent:

Thanks for the detailed post. Does the requirement for all HDMI products to support HDCP 2.2 apply to streaming devices/services such as Apple TV and Netflix? 

Hi rickatk,

Excellent question.  Yes, if an Apple TV (or other streaming devices) were connected via HDMI, they would need to be HDCP 2.2 compatible.  

Thanks,

Brandon - Bose Support

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Brandon_M wrote:

Hi rickatk,

Excellent question.  Yes, if an Apple TV (or other streaming devices) were connected via HDMI, they would need to be HDCP 2.2 compatible.  

Thanks,

Brandon - Bose Support

Thaks Brandon.

Guess I am going to be locked in to 1080P/ HDMI 2.1 for some time to come. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I did a pretty comprehenisve refresh of my gear a couple years ago. The picture and sound quality coming from these streaming devices hooked up to my Cinemate 130 is incredible. My next planned purchase will be a new TV. My Samsung plasma is aging. The replacement TV will be 4K as they are now adays. Thats ok. 1080P looks very good too. 

4K poses another problem for me in that my Apple TV postioned in the media room is quite far away from my wirelss hup. Only getting 33 Mbit/s to that Apple TV. I will likely need double that for 4K.

The warranty on my Bose gear is 9 years. Thats how long I had my last 5.1 setup before refresh. Who know what the future will bring!

Highlighted
Teadoir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2016

I’m the idiot that bought THREE of the Cinemate 130 systems for my 3 UHD TVs at my house and I’m stuck with these antiquated systems.  When purchasing them I was told that these were able to pass 4K thru to my TVs without a problem.  Totally misled and will never purchase anything made by Bose again.  Now I’m basically out over $3,000 for these terrible systems with no solution.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Teadoir wrote:

I’m the idiot that bought THREE of the Cinemate 130 systems for my 3 UHD TVs at my house and I’m stuck with these antiquated systems.  When purchasing them I was told that these were able to pass 4K thru to my TVs without a problem.  Totally misled and will never purchase anything made by Bose again.  Now I’m basically out over $3,000 for these terrible systems with no solution.

Not apologizing for Bose or the sales person who gave you incorrect information but the problem lies with the standards development. At the time Cinemate was released, 4K could be passed through on the HDMI 2.0 standard. Then the standard changed to HDMI 2.1. There are posts in the forum about the implications of those changes. Short version...all components, cables and TVs have to be compliant and consistent to the same standard in order for 4K to work. SoundTouch 300 and the latest Lifestyle systems are consistent, but they were also just released. 3 years after Cinemate.

That is the technology game unfortunately, sometimes hard to future proof. 

I have a Cinemate 130 hooked up with Apple TV a Shaw Blue Sky HD terminal and Yamaha BD player to my aging Samsung Plasma. As well as a Solo 15 hooked up to a Samsung 6500 LED TV. Everything looks and sounds great. 1080P still does a great job.

Personally I think the whole 4K and for that matter Dolby Atmos, Dolby HD and DTS ES etc is over rated and is just feature creep designed to separate you from your money.

Matrixdell
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

Yup I also was told same story I tried an Apple 4K unit today and won’t work with my Bose 130 last time I buy a Bose

Matrixdell
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

Yup I also was told same story I tried an Apple 4K unit today and won’t work with my Bose 130 last time I buy a Bose.