rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Bose Cinemate 130 - upgrade to 4k unit

@Matrixdell wrote:

Yup I also was told same story I tried an Apple 4K unit today and won’t work with my Bose 130 last time I buy a Bose.

Bose is not the problem, (maybe the sales person need to bone up the product knowledge) the AV industry is forcing obeselencence into otherwise quite capable gear. If you let it.  The moderator’s posts adequately explain the whole evolution of 4K standards and Bose products.

The Cinemate 130 was released in 2014, Apple 4K was just released a few months ago. Apple 4 last year - no 4K by the way and no way to upgrade last years Apple TV 4 to 4K. 4 or 5 years is a lifetime in AV tech and there has been much lineup change at Bose as markets evolve as well.

SR 1, Cinemate 130, SoundTouch 130 and now SoundTouch 300. All with varyiing and evolving capabilities.The most current HT systems from Bose work to the most current standards and will play the 4K standards properly.

I know that when I decide to refresh my gear, all my old stuff will be well...old. I will likely be investing in an all new system front to back. That won’t be a while though as I just finished a total refresh using Bose gear just a couple years ago...no regrets. 1080p looks great going through my Cinemate 130 console and the Bose speakers systems are reproducing the sound very well.

Schwacker
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2018

All,

I'm glad I found this post since I'm preparing to get my new LG OLED65B7A later this week and doing my homework to install and configure it with my Soundtouch 130.

I guess I didn't realize how "old" my 130 system is and didn't realize it won't be 4k compatible with my TV.

So if I'm reading correctly, for the best configuration, I will need to connect my HDMI from my Comcast receiver to the TV. Then run an Optical Cable from the TV to the Sound touch 130?

Can someone confirm this is the proper configuration.  Big thanks!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Connecting the TV via optical cable is a sound only solution and is recommended by Bose.

Connecting your 4K source directly to the TV using HDMI is the video solution recommended by Bose.

I suggest you also have a look at The Comcast tuner audio settings. There’s an option to set the optical audio to 2.0 stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1. I suggest you set it to Dolby Digital for the best sound. The Bose console will decode accordingly.
Schwacker
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2018

Thanks Rick for the quick reply and answers!  Yes, it appears, for 4k, I will need a new Xfinity Receiver and I will check the audio settings.

Looking at the Opitcal connection on the back of my TV and Bose Soundtouch,  I will need male to male optical cable....

Again, thanks.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

You may find a fibre optic cable included with your Cinemate ST 130.
Schwacker
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2018

Rick,

Question. Since I posted this question a few months ago, I canceled my Comcast Package and went with DirecTV Now.  So my configuration is TV to Bose Console.   Per your last comment, I have an Opitcal calbe from my LG OLED 65 TV to my Bose.  I went into my Bose Control setup and configured Optical to TV.  However, when I play Netflix or Amazon Video, it's severly muffled and I can't hear anything and I changed to TV Speakers which are average.    What am I doing wrong?  Thanks

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Check your TV audio settings.
There are usually Digital Audio out settings, best to select Auto or 5.1 if you can.

Optical will give you DD 5.1 but not Atmos.

Where are you getting your Netflix and Amazon sources from the Direct TV terminal? The terminal will also give you audio settings.

Schwacker
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2018

Rick, I have Netflix and Amazon app on my TV.  I'll check the Digital Auto settings.....thanks

cinemate130scam
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 19, 2018

I'll admit, I am 99.9% ignorant when it comes to HDCP 2.1 and HDCP 2.2 and the inability to be backwards compatible.  I see a lot of electronics with backwards compatibibleness, so whether this particular instance is due to some sort of regulation policy that somehow benefits the consumer from like, exploding their tv or introducing security risks through the dark web that sends out viruses to my grandpas grandpad--or  the brainiacs in the windowless computer rooms have not yet figured out how to backwards compatibilize HDCP 2.2 (ie. the technology isn't there yet).... whatever the reason, i just can't find it acceptable in the day and age where every other device in the world including grandpad can autofix the incompatability issues and viola.  But I've had probs with this 130 POS being compatible with lots of stuff, of course that could be human error bc I can be an idiot, but you think with the price we paid like, SIX years or so ago, there would at least be a way to add on some back speakers or do ANY little thing to upgrade the **bleep** thing without having to buy a totally new and probably just as user-unfriendly and incompatible species as this one.  The sales guy made it clear to us that we would NEVER need to buy another big purchase like this again and suggested adding some satellite speakers later on.  That is all I wanted, to add some true surround sound to the already great sounding system, bc now my father is getting deaf and I wanted to put some large speakers directly in front of him so we don't have to deal with the 130 being maxed out across the room and get noise violation complaints from the cops bllllllllllllahhhhh .   where can i get a replacement remote for this **bleep** thing that doesn't cost 50 bucks, anyone?

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

>The sales guy made it clear to us that we would NEVER need to buy another big purchase like this again and suggested adding some satellite speakers later on

The sales guy made a couple promises that are unrealistic. In the audio game there is no such thing as 100% future proofing. Technology and standards are changing all the time. You only have to look at the AV industry at a high level and witness the huge changes over the decades. Stereo, Qudraphonic, Surround sound, a myriad of speaker designs not to mention amps, preamps, receivers, all in one and now wireless networking and virtual assistants. Nothing sits still in the AV industry for very long. As far as longevity and future proofing the onus is on the purchaser to figure out what they want and need over a given period of time. This is a tall order for the average consumer and even the most experienced audiophile the crystal ball is often murky and misleading.

The 130 series soundbar were never designed to support discrete rear speakers. These sound bars excel in virtual surround and morphed from a good sounding device loaded with high tech sound generation, to a network speaker mid evolution of the line. The 130 promised good sounding all in one capabilities, then the market started to expand on the sound bar and demanded adding rear speakers etc. 

Bose launched the 300 series and added discrete rear speaker features as well as a beefier sub and HDCP 2.2. Now(a couple years after the 300 series)  it’s all about voice commands and even smarter speakers. Enter the new lineup of smart speakers sporting support for better 4K, Alexa and the list goes on. 

Realistically most people have to buy their gear and enjoy it for a few years before upgrading again for a newer set of features. For me, I moved from an eight year old discrete 5.1 system (Yamaha /Boston Acoustics ) to a Cinemate 130. At the time I was looking for a more streamlined system with less wires. Fact is I deliberately purchased a Cinemate 130 rather than a SoundTouch 130, which had just come on the market, because I didn’t think I needed SoundTouch network connectivity. I changed my mind after a while and Bose was able to provide me with a SoundTouch adaptor that works really well. My Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch and 1080p pass thru does a fine job at this point in time. The soundbar still sounds great, hosts my Cable Tuner, Apple TV and Blu-Ray disk player. I expect in a few years when 4K really settles in, I will be ready to make another purchase that will no doubt have some interesting and capable features.

My point is that in all of this don’t expect more out of your gear than what it was originally designed to do. The 130 speakers will not support HDCP 2.2 for full 4K support nor will it support discrete rear speakers. For those features you will have to upgrade. If your soundbar is six years old and you want discrete rear speakers maybe now you should think about upgrading to one of the new Bose Smart Home speaker packages. 

Contact Bose for a replacement remote, they keep a good supply of replacement parts and accessories on hand.