leifarneb
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Bose Cinemate 130 - upgrade to 4k unit

Hi,

I have a Bose Cinemate 130 (reciever) with a soundbar and subwoofer. In addition I have the wireless module/adapter connected to several SoundTouch units around the house.

However the Cinemate 130 console/unit is aging and does not support 4k. I several issues with it now when using it together with my LG Oled 4K TV.

How can i upgrade/buy a new console/receiver - and what unit should I buy (i cant find anything on the Boses webpages). From what i can read on the Bose webpage it looks like i have to buy a brand new system?

Thanks,

Leif Arne

30 REPLIES 30
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Bose Cinemate 130 - upgrade to 4k unit

Hi Leif, 

Welcome to the community! The Cinemate 130 is a great system and I can definitely understand your interest in upgrading the control console to take advantage of 4K. The biggest issue with the 130 is HDCP copy write protection. While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  HDCP 2.1 cannot be firmware updated to HDCP 2.2.  Additionally, HDCP 2.2 was engineered to not be backwards compatible with 2.1.

Many newer devices require that all connected HDMI products support HDCP 2.2 to pass 4K video.  This does create a problem for the SoundTouch system’s console and prevents its ability to pass video from these sources.  For this reason, we recommend that owners connect their 4K sources directly to the TV with HDMI and output the TV’s audio through a digital audio connection to allow the Bose system to reproduce the Dolby Digital or DTS formatted surround sound.

Unfortunately, we don't have an updated console that you could upgrade to while keeping your existing 130 speakers. Right now, the systems we have that will work with more recent 4K devices are the SoundTouch 300, Lifestyle 600, and Lifestyle 650. However, these are not compatible with your existing system and would require an entirely new system. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Thank you 

duncan1873
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 9, 2017

Hi Guys,

like Brent_B says connect your 4K TV to the Cinemate via the HDMI (ARC) socket on your TV & you can enjoy the full benefits of both systems. You can still use the inputs on your Cinemate if they are standard HD. If they are 4K just simply pass it through the TV. On my Samsung TV there is a HDMI hub box at the back with on connection into the TV which I simply have the HDMI (ARC) going to my Cinemate & I have zero problems.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Duncan

CJArcher
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 31, 2016

Will the Bose Soundtouch 300 system wirelessly communicate with the subwoofer from a Soundtouch 130 system?

Highlighted
duncan1873
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 9, 2017

Hi there,

I don't know as I have the sub that came with the Cinemate130 & I don't have the new Cinemate300 system. I do note however that the sub that Bose offer is labelled sub300 so I'm guessing that it may not. If you already have the Cinemate130 why don't you plug your devices into you TV & use the ARC HDMI to send the audio from the tv to the Ciemate130 this will solve the problem of not being able to push UHD 4K video through your Bose.

ayanomich
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 6, 2016

Soundtouch 300 subwoofer will not communicate with Cinemate 130,period.

dobbor1
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

I have been thinking the same about 4K with my Cinemate 120.  There seems to be only the 2 options and will be dependant on what is more importanat to you.  If you connect all devices to the Cinemate Module via HDMI then it will give you most audio formats (DD/DTS/DTS HD/TrueHD). I have decided to have all devices connected to the TV via HDMI and then HDMI ARC from the TV to the Cinemate Module.  4K is sorted but then audio restricted to DD, DTS 5.1 or PCM Audio.  To be honest, I have tried both ways and can't really tell the difference with the audio options through the soundbar.

ayanomich
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 6, 2016

Agree with you totally, dobbor1.  I have my Soundtouch 120 set up like yours, it's the best way to do it especially if you have a 4K Blu-ray, Apple TV 4k, etc.  because the console will not push thru 4k due to the lack of HDCP2.2.  I have thought about getting the ST300 and 300 sub-woofer, my son has both.  Sounds awesome at his home, but considering all the problems I have read about with connectivity, software update problems, et al, I'll stick with the 120 for now.  Haven't had any issues, the system always works regardless of updates or anything else.  Only thing I have always been a bit concerned about was lesser bass response than the 130 or 300 system, but I found a thread here where someone said they put a blanket in front of their 130 Acoustimass module while they did the Adaptiq setup and it increased the bass response.  I tried it last night, watched Mission Impossible 2 and the bass response was definitely better than I remember,  so for now I'm ok with it..

garlicusurp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

Great option, until you realise your TV's ARC port only supports stereo. 

ayanomich
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 6, 2016

Well the 130 and the 120 systems are not 5.1 systems so what’s the point?  Both systems simulate 5.1 surround, if that’s what you want to call it, but it’s more of a wide soundstage due to Bose proprietary speaker placements. My cable box and 4k Blu-ray produce 5.1 thru the optical and digital outputs and if I hook them up to my old Panasonic 5.1 system, I get true surround.   So the ARC 2.1 is not a big deal for me, I’m ok with the sound.