Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
E36M52
Participant
Registered since

Jun 4, 2017

Bose Companion 5 Multi Media Speakers

Purchased the companion 5 speakers 10/3/15 and followed the set up instructions per the manual to my HP Envy 700-214 running Windows 10 and as of this writting, the new update for 10 installed.

Per the manual, it states that the audio volume will be adjusted for self protection if played at full volume for an extended period of time. The issue I'm having is the volume level is reduced by what i gues is a third, even when full volume is not in affect and will not return to almost full volume unless I mute the sound for 5 minutes or so and then unmute and raise volume back up to almost full.

I first adjust the sound of the PC to full and then adjust the control pod.

I have all enhancements turned off. 

I have the setting set to large room, not small office thinking this would provide biggger/ louder sound.

I have tried both of the USB ports on the back of the PC, 3.0 and 2.0 I think??? one is blue, other is black.

I have the setting checked for: alow apps to control this device under the device mangager/ bose speaker config.

I have updated or the driver seems to be up to date: 3/17

I only use Spotify and sometimes youtube.

The question is this: is it normal to have a third of the volume loss for what i can only guess is a heat related time out on the Bose system? Or is the PC somehow giving some type of feedback to the Accoustimass Module?

Would appriciate any direction on this concern and thanks in advance!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Emmet_H
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: Bose Companion 5 Multi Media Speakers

Hello E36M52,

It does sound like the system is going into protection mode. Make sure the bass module is in a well ventilated area and not next to something that is also generating heat like a computer tower. If you have done this and are still experiencing the issue please contact us HERE.

E36M52
Participant
Registered since

Jun 4, 2017

Re: Bose Companion 5 Multi Media Speakers

First, I really need to get this off my chest because the findings and help pages are mind bending.

So can someone please explain why is it that in the year 2017, the Bose help and support page only offers support intel for OS's up to Windows 7? I find this to be insulting as well as disturbing for a corporation with the Bose name behind it........ you get what I mean.

So, to answer questions possible: yes the sub module is well ventilated and is a stand alone; not near a heat sorce.

Then I contacted bose customer support; I think I previously said enough about support. So I decided to venture in to my God Mode settings ( Windows 10 with latest platform update, 64bit ) and have a look at drivers and anything sound related/ sound settings/ sound card and what I found was.................. that's right, user error. Some how in the Bose Speaker set up, I had checked " center speaker ", which in fact, there is none. So i verified that I had unchecked the " effects " box, checked the proper speaker set up and speaker sound (Sub-woofer, side pair, full range left and right speaker option ), performed test and off i went. 

The volume now sounds 3/4 to near full continuously with better quaulity. Sorry for the interuption due to human error and thanks for the response back Emmet_H. But if you could pass onto the powers that be in reguards to updating the Help/Support page with the latest and greatest operating systems, it would be much help to future possible users of said function.

Sincerely,