Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 5, 2017

Bose Companion 5 multimedia speakers not recognized after Win10 update

My companion 5 speakers were working great until the latest "windows 10 creators update". Afterward my pc can't recognize them, I get a "USB device not recognized" message. I left an ask at microsoft and they told me to get with the manufacturer, make sure i have the latest bios, drivers, blah blah which I do... What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: Bose Companion 5 multimedia speakers not recognized after Win10 update

Author Accepted Answer selected by meiwow

Hello meiwow,

I would remove the USB connection and unplug the Companion 5 for 30 seconds. While doing so remove the Companion from the device panel and restart the computer. Then reconnect once it is restarted and install as if a new device. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by meiwow

Hello meiwow,

I would remove the USB connection and unplug the Companion 5 for 30 seconds. While doing so remove the Companion from the device panel and restart the computer. Then reconnect once it is restarted and install as if a new device. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 5, 2017

Yeah, it seems unplugging the speakers from the power and reconnecting them fixed the issue.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

I've got nada, I went to install these speakers today. I attempted the accepted solution. Did some other tinkering, even reimaged the computer. I still see 'No jack information available' any other thoughts on this?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello EvilClaire,

I found THIS post that has some interesting information on it. It looks like this can be related to the drivers. In the mean time, you should be able to use the 3.5mm connection from the computers headphone jack to the control puck to still enjoy your Companion 5's while a fix is worked on from Microsoft.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

It seems that in general, system recognition problems are solved by unplugging the USB and then plugging back in. In my case, it took about 5 days before my new Companion 5's were completely recognized in my new HP laptop with Windows 10 by iTunes. Windows Media Player played right away, but it took several days before iTunes played through the speakers. On my Toshiba laptop with Windows 10, (a few years older than the HP), the speakers were recognized immediately in both Media Player and iTunes.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 5, 2017

Yeah I called bose and one of the reprecentatives asked me to unplug it and I did and that solved the issue. You just got to unplug it from the power and plug it back up after a few seconds, then it works fine again!