idilbaykam
Participant
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Bose Lifestyle 550 vs. Soundbar 700 with Bass 700 and rear speakers

Hi, I am looking for a cinema-like experience in my open plan living room (700sf2). I am between the two Bose products: Bose Lifestyle 550 and Bose Soundbar 700 with the Bass 700 and the rear speakers.

I have already gotten the optic wires installed for the rear speakers so the easiness of the wireless rear speakers is not a plus for me. I see that the Soundbar 700 is being sold globally whereas the Lifestyle 550 is not. Is Lifestyle 550 being withdrawn due to any technical issues or customer complaints? Soundbar does have the Alexa feature built in but by purchasing an Echo Dot, I can also add the feature into the Lifestyle 550. However, I read that as the new features come in Soundbar gets updated but not the Lifestyle 550. Is there any other features that I need to be aware of?

I would really apreciate it if you could give me a comparison of the two and give me a preference based on your experience, thank you.

Bose Lifestyle 550 vs. Soundbar 700

5 REPLIES 5
Jessie_O

Re: Bose Lifestyle 550 vs. Soundbar 700 with Bass 700 and rear speakers

Hey there @idilbaykam

Thank you for your post and welcome! These are some really great questions and I will do all I can to assist you! 

The LifeStyle 550 was only sold in Europe, China, and the U.K.

I'm not sure which features you are referring to so I will assume, please let me know if I have got this wrong. The Lifestyle 550 does not have wireless speakers, they all need to be wired. Whereas, the Soundbar 700 does have wireless accessory speakers. It is also important to note that the two systems use different applications that do have different features. 

Let me know if there are any other questions you have. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
idilbaykam
Participant
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Hi Jessie, thank you for your response.

Can you explain the different applications the two system use? And can you also explain the different features they have?

Also why was Bose Lifestyle 550 never sold in the US?

Thank you!

Jessie_O

Thanks for coming back to me! 

The LifeStyle 550 uses the SoundTouch application which allows you to add streaming services to listen to. You can connect through WiFi, Bluetooth, or Aux. It also has some settings such as HDMI-CEC. 

The Soundbar 700 uses the Bose Music application which has the same features but you are able to add Google Assistant or Alexa. There are also some additional settings to tweak your listening experiences such as the audio and video sync. 

I'm not sure why the LifeStyle 550 was not sold in the US. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
idilbaykam
Participant
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Could you confirm if music can be played on Spotify and Youtube on both devices?

If I buy the Lifestyle 550 and the home speaker together, would the video and audio sync feature work for these systems?

Also, could you give me technical details of how big of an area (sf2) these two products are suitable for? I heard the Lifestyle 550 is louder and thus can be used in larger areas, is that correct (how large)?

You mentioned the Alexa feature of the Soundbar. If I purchase an Echo Dot, can I use it with the Lifestyle 550 system even though it is not built in?

Thank you.

Charlotte_G

@idilbaykam You can stream both Spotify and YouTube to both of the systems. For both, Spotify playback can be initiated through the associated app, Spotify Connect, AirPlay 2, and Bluetooth. To play from YouTube, you'll need to connect via Bluetooth, or AirPlay 2 if your device supports it. 

In terms of connecting a Home Speaker with a Lifestyle 550, you won't be able to stream the video content from your Lifestyle on both. The audio shared with the Lifestyle 550 will come from the content you play through the Home Speaker. 

We don't have a specific room size recommendation as there are many factors to consider. The building materials, obstructions, furniture, room shape, etc, are all things that are considered when it comes to the sound traveling throughout. Also, sound is subjective so it really would be down to your own preference. I would love to welcome any input from the Bose Community regarding their experience of this. 

Yes. You can enjoy hands-free voice access to streaming music services, Internet radio, and your stored library using any Alexa-enabled device—like the Amazon Echo Dot. However, the capabilities of Alexa built-in to the Soundbar 700 are greater and you have control over your TV listening, not just the Wi-Fi streaming.

Let me know if you have any further questions.