Highlighted
chatloxx
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 19, 2019

Bose Lifestyle 650 Input lag

Hi Bose support team,

I am super confused. I tried connecting my Xbox One X directly to my TV (Philips 65PUS8102) and I have no input lag. Then I tried connecting it to the Bose Lifestyle 650 and the Bose Lifestyle 650 to my TV, and I get a pretty annoying input lag.

How can I get rid of it? I really want to have the setup via the Lifestyle, but the lag is a no-go. Is there a setting on the Lifestyle which I can do? I read in the forum there is a "game mode", but I do not find it in the settings.

Hope you can help!

Best,
Stefan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose Lifestyle 650 Input lag

Author Accepted Answer selected by chatloxx

Hello Stefan,

The Lifestyle 650 doesn't have any setting similar to your game mode on the TV so if you are experiencing the slight delay when connecting through the Lifestyle your best solution would most likely be to use the 1st setup you have described.

As JB1970 said, when you add any device between your console and the display it is likely to introduce a certain amount of delay just due to the extra steps introduced in the signal path. So if you are unhappy with the amount of delay introduced by the 650 console, it would make sense to bypass it, that will make the signal chain the shortest possible and reduce any input lag you're experiencing.

All the best.

Keith_L - Community Support - 

8 REPLIES 8

Hello Stefen, 

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the system. 

When you connect up the Xbox to your Lifestyle 650 are you using the Unify "Device Management" to add the Xbox to your system?

If you could clarify how you have been connecting the Xbox to your lifestyle. 

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kind regards 
Liam G - Community Support

chatloxx
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 19, 2019

Hi Liam,

yes, I used the Unify setup wizard and added a new device "Xbox One", selected the HDMI input and everything worked fine (except for the input lag as described). Is there another / better way to add the Xbox to the system?

Best,

Stefan

Hi Stefan, 

Thanks you for confirming this. 

What lag are you experiencing? a couple seconds from controller input? and is this though the Xbox One menu or whilst playing a game/watching tv/films?

Also, can I ask which resolution output have you set for the lifestyle 650? This may cause a slight input lag as the lifestyle is acting as a pass through system for your Xbox One.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

JB1970
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 4, 2017

Adding anything between the X Box and the TV will cause some lag.  I have mine connected through the Bose 650 but don't find a discernible difference (playing Call of Duty usually).

Game Mode is not something that's on the Bose, it's a setting on the TV and it makes a HUGE difference.  I find without it switched on (on my Samsung UE75HU8000) the X Box is unplayable - laggy and not smooth.  It's a bit of a pain as for me it's hidden in the Samsung menu with no direct button on the remote, meaning I have to switch it on when I play and off when I finish otherwise the image quality of other sources suffers considerably.

As far as I'm aware there is no way of changing the video output on the Bose?  It's pass through so by nature what goes in comes out.

chatloxx
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 19, 2019

It is below one second of delay, but I am able to realize it. The Xbox settings are:
- 4K UHD
- Allow 50Hz, allow 24Hz
- Allow YYC 4:2:2
- Allow 4K
- Allow HDR10

Display:
- Auto (I could chose DVI or HDMI instead)
- Color depth 24 Bits / 8-Bit

In the TV details, I see a green check on all points except Dolby Vision. Hope that's enough information, as I had to translate from German.

And thanks for your help! If leaving out the Bose Lifestyle 650 is the only wait, that would work of course, but the preferred way is to connect it via my Bose Lifestyle.

Best,
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for getting back to us!

I do have a couple of things I'd like you to try for this.

1) If your TV has an option called "Motion smoothing" , could you try disabling this? This would normally smooth out video on the TV, but could be linked to an input delay on the controller when it's passed through a system.

2) If you were to change the Resolution for both TV and console down to 1080P, does this issue stop? If so, try setting this to 1080P and then resetting both the TV and console, which should then default back up to 4K UHD automatically.

If you have tried the above and are still having this issue, please get back to us with some feedback about what happened when you tried these.

I hope this helps!

Liam_W

chatloxx
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 19, 2019

Hi Liam,

I don't believe a change on my TV settings will help. I compared to setups:

1) Xbox ==HDMI==> TV, Xbox ==optical==> Bose Lifestyle 650

2) Xbox ==HDMI==> Bose Lifestyle 650 ==HDMI==> TV

Same setup at the TV (no motion smooting etc., game mode on), same setup at the Xbox One X. I experience a lag in setup 2, but no lag in setup 1. I assume that Xbox as well as TV are set up properly, because their settings work for no input lag (see setup 1). I expected that there is a "game mode" which I could enable at the Lifestyle 650, just as it appears to be in the 535 (https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/PS4-Controller-Delay/td-p/4268).

If there is no such setup, then I assume JB1970's answer is correct, and I'll have to choose setup 1 or live with the input lag, as there is no setting and the input lag happens "by design" when putting the Bose Lifestyle 650 inbetween console and TV.

Best,

Stefan

Author Accepted Answer selected by chatloxx

Hello Stefan,

The Lifestyle 650 doesn't have any setting similar to your game mode on the TV so if you are experiencing the slight delay when connecting through the Lifestyle your best solution would most likely be to use the 1st setup you have described.

As JB1970 said, when you add any device between your console and the display it is likely to introduce a certain amount of delay just due to the extra steps introduced in the signal path. So if you are unhappy with the amount of delay introduced by the 650 console, it would make sense to bypass it, that will make the signal chain the shortest possible and reduce any input lag you're experiencing.

All the best.

Keith_L - Community Support -