Highlighted
patricia_butler44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

Bose Solo 5 soundbar only plays audio from HD channels

So i've just purchased a Solo 5 Soundbar and am trying to set it up.

I have a Toshiba (LCD 37x3030D) TV, and I use a Humax (HDR-1100s) freesat top box, connected to the TV via a HDMI lead, to watch TV with.

At first I tried setting up the Soundbar through the TV with the audio cable, but with no joy. There was the red light coming through the audio wire, and even switched off the TV speakers, still no sound, nothing. The socket on the TV was an Audio Output socket, and I believed the TV would have been the better option in setting up the Soundbar. I have looked through the TV menu and changed 

I then set up the Soundbar through the Humax top box. This time the sound came through the Soundbar, (I still have the TV speakers switched off). However, the issue I have is that the only channels that have sound are the HD channels.The other channels have no sound what so ever, not even a faint sound, nothing. 

I know there is some simple solution to this and I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

13 REPLIES 13
Community Manager

Re: Bose Solo 5 soundbar only plays audio from HD channels

Hi patricia_butler44

Thanks for posting in the community!  Sorry to hear about the issues, but would be glad to help!  

Can you check to see if there are any audio output settings in the cable box itself?  If it's possible, you want to make sure it's set to auto if that's an option.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

patricia_butler44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

Hi Tony.

The audio cable is connected to the top box via it's audio outlet at the back. When investigating the settings within the top box, there is an audio option, however, the only option available within in that is 'Left - Centre - Right - Off'. And, I have tried all these options, yet the audio still only comes out the Sound Bar when watching HD channels.

Also, upon further investigation, the TV will only allow the audio to come from an external source when on DTV option, however, the top box will not play through this option, so that counts out using the TV as the source for audio.

Any further assitstance would be appreciated. 

Hello patricia_butler44,

After reading your TV's manual, I found this: "NOTE: HDMI 1 supports digital and analogue sound, HDMI 2 is digital sound only". Is your set top box connected via HDMI 2? If so, try changing it to HDMI 1 and see if that resolves things. This may be what is causing the audio issue for non-digital channels. 

Let us know! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

patricia_butler44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

Hi Greg

Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately, this still does not resolve the issue. I did as you advised, and swapped the HDMI cables over, but still sound only plays when on HD channels.

The audio cable that comes from the Soundbar goes straight into the Top Box, so I am unsure how swapping the HDMI cables in the TV would resolve the issue when the sound is coming from the Top Box? Am still stumped how to resolve the matter.

Hello patricia_butler44,

My apologies! I meant to also recommend running the optical audio cable from the TV to the Solo 5 when the Set Top Box is connected to the HDMI 1 port. Can you try that and let us know if you get audio.

Thanks! 

Best Regards,

Greg

patricia_butler44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

Hi Greg

Well, I am pleased to say that we have finally resolved the issue.

The Soundbar is connected to the Top Box and on the settings menu within the TV we turned off all audio options which allowed the sound from all channels, both SD and HD to come through the Soundbar.

Many thanks for your assistance in the matter.

Hello patricia_butler44,

So glad to hear you got it resolved! Thanks for coming back to let us know. If you have any other questions for us we'll be here.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Greg

Stuartpaton
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 12, 2018

Hi Greg
I have a similar issue with using a Samsung television with Humax box and Bose soundbar
I have connected the Soundbar to the TV with the optical lead. This works fine with both the television and a DVD player (attached on HDMI2)
However I get no sound when using the Humax box on HDMI1. Interestingly I can use the Bose controller to control channel changing on the Soundbar
I have also tried connecting the Soundbar directly to the Humax box with the optical lead but this does not work
Any ideas?
Thanks
Stuart

Hello Stuart,

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble, but would be glad to help. Did you have any success with the suggestion from patricia_butler44 and turn off all audio settings? Which model television do you have?

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support