Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Bose SoundTouch 300 Discrete Power and Power Off

I recently purchased a SoundTouch 300 Soundbar and Acoustimass 300 which I really like. I have 2 questions:

1) What are the discrete IR codes for power on and power off?

I am using a Logitech Harmony Universal remote. It has IR extenders connected to all my devices. The Logitech Harmony isn't IR so I don't have to point it at anything and it works great. All my devices have discrete power on/off except for the SoundTouch 300. This has caused problems if the SoundTouch 300 gets turned off with everything else on, or vice versa. I can use the TV setting on the SoundTouch 300 to turn it on, effectively getting a discrete power on, but I don't have a power off. Please send me the discrete power on and power off codes so I can add them to my universal remote.

2) How can I set the SoundTouch 300 so that it will never power off?

The SoundTouch 300 seems to power off after about 20 minutes of inactivity. This is bad. We were watching a cable TV show and paused it for a while and came back and the SoundTouch 300 was turned off, but the TV and cable box were still on. And what's worse is without discrete power on/off codes there is no way to fix this with the universal remote control without getting out the original SoundTouch 300 IR remote, or using the universal remote app. Neither of these solutions are wife friendly. Please add a setting to disable automatic turn off.

I've had a original Bose 321 for the past 15 years which has been a good system but it has a couple of things that really caused me problems  First, it didn't have discrete power on/off, and second no matter how low I set the power volume, when I turn it off and on it again it would reset the volume to 20. This made it hard to turn on in a house with people sleeping. I was hoping that after 15 years that issues like these would no longer exists. Unforuntately I have two similar issues with the SoundTouch 300.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: Bose SoundTouch 300 Discrete Power and Power Off Questions

Hello jeffzacharia. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. While the power on/off commands on this system is a toggle command as opposed to discreet codes, we can definitely tackle the system turning off on its own together. The culprit is likely an inadvertent command within CEC and we can disable that on the TV to stop this from happening. Can you provide the make and model number of the television?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

It is very discouraging and unbelievable that you do not have discreet power on and off codes. Every other component I have has this. The SoundTouch 300 system is the only comoonent without discreet power on and off.  This causes problems with a universal remote if the power get out of sync. This is something that is very simple for you to add to the software. Can you please add this to the software?

I know how to turn CEC off on my TV.  I don't want to do that because one of the reasons I bought the SoundTouch 300 is because it would allow me to use my Apple TV remote to turn on the audio and TV and adjust volume. This works perfectly except if I pause for 20 minutes and the SoundTouch 300 turns itself off. Everything else stays on, including the TV and Apple TV. This seems like something that should be fixed in the SoundTuoch 300.  Disabling everything is not the answer.

These issues are significant enough, and your response saying that none of this will change, that I think I'm probably going to pack up the SuondTuoch 300 and return it.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

We appreciate your detailed feedback regarding the request for discreet on and off power commands and have forwarded your suggestion to our product development team for future consideration. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 30, 2017

PLEASE Bose, really consider discreet power on/off commands.

When you use smart remotes with programming capabilities that allow mulpitle actions to occur with a single button press, having a discreet on/off is essential. 

From a "State Diagram" point of view a Toggle is useless as it is non-deterministic.  You never know what it's initial state condition is.

Having only a toggle on your Remote makes sense for simplicity, but also having discrete on/off commands is critical for automated smart remote sequencies.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 30, 2017

Re: Bose SoundTouch 300 Discrete Power and Power Off

There are apparently no discrete ON/OFF IR commands for the Bose 300 BUT that said, there is more than one way to skin the cat!

Just as most DVD Players also lack discrete on/off commands but can be turned on by sending a PLAY command, (followed by a PAUSE if one just wants to turn the player on and not actually start playing).  And turned off by sending a PLAY followed by a pause and a POWER command, so can the Bose be tricked.

To turn the Bose ON send the command  from the button that looks like a TV Monitor that appears on the left of the 3rd row of buttons on the Bose 300 Remote.  You may have to Learn it for your Smart Remote as this button seems to have no name and does not appear in any Bose IR command summaries I have found.  I'll call that the "TV" button in the following explaination.

If the Bose 300 was in the off state, sending the "TV" command will turn it on. If "TV" is sent but the Bose was on, then nothing really happens.

To turn the Bose 300 off,  send the "TV" button command, pause about 3 seconds, then send a POWER command, which will now turn the Bose off.

[:-)}