geraldorigo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 12, 2018

Bose SoundTouch 300 and Roku Ultra - No Dolby Digital

This is my first time posting and wanted to see if anyone has a similar issue. I have a Roku Ultra connected directly to the Bose SoundTouch 300 and I am not receiving any Dolby Digital from applications that do support it on Roku. I previously also had my LG UBK90 UHD Blueray connected to the soundbar with similar results, only PCM was showing.  Is there a configuration setting that I am missing for these devices? 

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Re: Bose SoundTouch 300 and Roku Ultra - No Dolby Digital

Hi geraldorigo

Thanks for writing in!

The SoundTouch 300 soundbar should be capable of handling Dolby Digital as well as DTS.  If the devices are connected direct to the HDMI input on the soundbar, it should be playing what it receives from the source directly.  

Because this soundbar doesn't have a display or the ability to display the audio format, where did you see the PCM information?  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

geraldorigo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 12, 2018

Hi Tony,

Thanks for replying, I am able to see what audio is being passed from a menu on my LG television.  I've only recently started using the Roku being plugged in to the ST300, when it was connected to my television and the sound was being sent over ARC I was seeing Dolby Digital.  Not sure if the problem is the Soundbar or the Roku at this point, I am going to try plugging in my 4K Blueray player in to the ST300 and see if I get Dolby or or DTS for further troubleshooting. 

Community Manager

Hi geraldorigo

Thanks for the update!

It sounds like the audio is most likely playing in the DD 5.1 format and when the video is sent to the TV through the HDMI out port, it may be providing a 2.0 audio signal to the TV.  If you do a comparison where you have the Roku connected direct to the soundbar and then with the same content, play it through the TV, I'm curious to see if you hear a change in the audio quality.

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

geraldorigo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 12, 2018

Tony,

After some testing I did get to a resolution, it appears that on the SoundTouch app under advanced audio settings I actually had to disable the the surround sound option while being plugged in to the hdmi in port on the SoundTouch. Once that was done I was able to get Dolby digital and dts. Isn’t that a little confusing?  Either way I am getting the necessary sound from my sources.

Hello geraldorigo,

Thanks for replying.

I appreciate you sharing the resolution with us and agree that is a bit odd that you had to disable the surround sound option in order to get that working. 

I'm going to pass this along as feedback to development.

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Best Regards,

Joel - Community Support

RICKSME
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

I have a 300 Bose & a Roku Ultra connected via HDMI to a Samsung Series 6 TV. When I have the Bose on HDMI 3 ARC the TV randomly decides it is a reciever & makes it the active source vs the Roku on HDMI 1 or Ultra DVD on HDMI 2. It does this more often than not when using the Roku remote "ok" button to flip back to the last channel watched, which sucks because you end up with a blank screen and then have to find the TV remote to correct the source. If I switch the connection to Bluetooth you lose the connection each time the TV is turned off. So basically I have no reliable way to use my Bose.
Community Manager

Hi RICKSME,

Thanks for writing in!

Is the issue you're having about the TV defaulting to the ARC connection?  If so, you may want to check the advanced speaker settings within the SoundTouch app and try and set the CEC settings to alternate on.

Warm Regards,

Tony A