Highlighted
sbs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Bose Soundtouch 300 vs Bose Soundbar 700

Hello Bose community, I am absolutely confused about whether Bose Soundtouch 300 or Soundbar 700 is the right choice for a TV soundbar. I have four Bose Soundtouch 10 speakers and truly love them (except for occassional disconnects requiring on/off routines). However, my choice was to move away from Bose ecosystem as I sense absolutely confusing strategies that the company seems to signal to its customers with its two incompatibe wireless speaker systems - soundtouch and soundbars. It seems very clear that Soundtouch systems will be phased out soon. It almost seems intentional behavior to alienate their customers - current and potential.

So I was compelled to explore Sonos which has such a strong customer fan base and reputation for future proofing. I recently bought Sonos Beam + Sonos Sub. Although Sonos connection experience was truly satisfying, it's app was very surprisingy not as intuitive as Bose Sountouch app for me. More so, while Sonos Beam alone sounded good for a while, I felt the sound was not true to its source. It seemed overly polished, preferring to enhance the bass at the expense of midrange frequencies. Further, the Sonos sub was utterly disappointing. It just lacks the punch that I am used to (say from Cambridge Audio for example). It completely spoiled my music listening experience to a point that I agree with the case against sub for music (https://www.cnet.com/news/the-case-against-subwoofers-for-music/). 

Long story short, I returned Sonos and I am back to exploring which of the two Soundtouch 300 or Soundbar 700 speakers should I buy. Fully aware of (a) the incompatibility between two groups of wireless speakers, (b) the fact that both erratically perform in terms of connectivity, and (c) score equally on lower end on customer ratings, I want to understand three things:

1. Are they essentially the same in terms of sound quality performance?

2. Are they equalliy compatible with Bose Bass Modules 500 and 700, as well as Acoustimass?

3. Are they equally compatible with invisible rear speakers?

Besides, I want to confirm that I can play Soundtouch 300 with my existing Soundtouch 10 speakers as a group.

Thanks you!

sbs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose Soundtouch 300 vs Bose Soundbar 700

Author Accepted Answer selected by sbs

Hello @sbs,

Thank you for taking the time to post, and welcome to the Community!

I understand your confusion here and would be more than happy if you gave me the opportunity to help clear this up for you!

Any Bose product with "Soundtouch" in the name is compatible with the Soundtouch app, and can be played in groups through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Currently, the Soundbar 500, Soundbar 700, and Home Speaker 500 are the only Eco-2 Products, and use the Bose music app.

As you already have a collection of Soundtouch speakers, adding the Soundtouch 300 Soundbar would be my recommendation for you here.

I say this because you will be able to extend your current grouping on Wi-Fi to include the Soundbar 300 should you want to, or it can be separate from the group to act as a home theater system for a TV or other device. 

In answer to your questions directly:

1) The Soundbar 300 and Soundbar 700 have a very similar sound quality, and have the same number of speakers. The main difference comes in the ways this is controlled. The Soundbar 700 has a microphone, and comes with Alexa built in, and the remote uses a concept to only light up the buttons that you need for the source you're using, whilst the Soundtouch 300 soundbar does not.

2) The Acoustimass 300, 500 and 700 are compatible with both of these soundbars, as well as the Soundbar 500.

3) The same as above also applies with the wireless surround speakers!

I hope this helps you come to a decision!

Liam_W - Community Support

6 REPLIES 6

Author Accepted Answer selected by sbs

Hello @sbs,

Thank you for taking the time to post, and welcome to the Community!

I understand your confusion here and would be more than happy if you gave me the opportunity to help clear this up for you!

Any Bose product with "Soundtouch" in the name is compatible with the Soundtouch app, and can be played in groups through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Currently, the Soundbar 500, Soundbar 700, and Home Speaker 500 are the only Eco-2 Products, and use the Bose music app.

As you already have a collection of Soundtouch speakers, adding the Soundtouch 300 Soundbar would be my recommendation for you here.

I say this because you will be able to extend your current grouping on Wi-Fi to include the Soundbar 300 should you want to, or it can be separate from the group to act as a home theater system for a TV or other device. 

In answer to your questions directly:

1) The Soundbar 300 and Soundbar 700 have a very similar sound quality, and have the same number of speakers. The main difference comes in the ways this is controlled. The Soundbar 700 has a microphone, and comes with Alexa built in, and the remote uses a concept to only light up the buttons that you need for the source you're using, whilst the Soundtouch 300 soundbar does not.

2) The Acoustimass 300, 500 and 700 are compatible with both of these soundbars, as well as the Soundbar 500.

3) The same as above also applies with the wireless surround speakers!

I hope this helps you come to a decision!

Liam_W - Community Support

sbs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Hello Liam_W, Thanks a ton for such a detailed and quick response.

I now understand that Soundtouch 300 may be a better choice. One quick clarification - are the Acoustimass woofers you mentioned below (300/500/700) same as the new Bose Bass Module 500 and Bose Bass Module 700? So can Soundtouch 300 connect to either of these new subwoofers wirelessly (just like Soundbar 700 can)?

Also, when I play music through all Soundtouch speakers through app, will it be able to leverage the above two subwoofers - even though they are not from Soundtouch family? 

I greatly appreciate your kind help.

Regards

sbs

Hey sbs, no problem, I'd be happy to clarify.

When I refer to the "Acoustimass" systems, these are the same as the Bass modules, it's just the technical/boring way of writing them!

As for your second question, the accessory systems (Which are all bass modules and surround speakers) will always play whatever the soundbar plays - so if the Soundtouch 300 is in a Soundtouch group, the Bass modules will play as well!

Always glad to help, and have a nice day!

Liam_W

sbs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Hello Liam_W, Thanks a ton again! This is super helpful. 

Regards

sbs

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I always thought the 300 and 700 subwoofers were larger than the 500.  Am I wrong about that?

Hi Jimgfitz, 

That's correct, the 500 bass module is a smaller size than that of the 300 and 700, but these are still compatible with the soundbars in question.

Hope this clears this up!

Liam_W