Hans L
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 29, 2017

Bose Wave Radio IV – no sound

I just bought  a Bose factory-refurbished radio (Wave Radio IV – no CD) with a remote control (for my wife at her birthday!!!). It played for quite a while when we first turned it on. We then turned it off. When we turned it on again 1 hour later, not a sound. The earphone sound worked, but was low (sound level set to about 50).

According to advice on the Web, we unplugged the device for 5 minutes plus, and then it played ... for 1 minute (then it turned the sound off all by itself).

There is some alarm set, and I am not sure whether that interfers. I cannot figure out (manual does not sem to tell) how to turn the alarm off entirely. Maybe that would help.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Hans L

2 REPLIES 2
Hans L
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 29, 2017

Re: Bose Wave Radio IV – no sound

Hey, it's me again.

After being on, silently, for about 20 minutes, the radion coughed a couple of times, and  then came back on. It has been going for about half an hour now. Now, we will see tomorrow morning, when the radio is cold what happens. However, when we turned it on the first time, it had been off for about 24 hours (I had checked it the day before, and it worked). If it is a cold-warm problem in the electronics, the radio has to be replaced. It has now become a question of wether to have the readio replaced or wait. Better check when the warranty expires.

Still, would be grateful for suggestions/comments.

Hans L

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Bose Wave Radio IV – no sound

Hi Hans, 

I'm very sorry to hear that. I would recommend trying to connect and then unplug a pair of headphones to the "Headphones" connection on the back of the Wave. If there was something stuck in that connection, plugging and unplugging a set of headphones could possibly clear it up. The manual for the radio is listed HERE with instructions about the alarm on page 10. If the radio does need service please go to the site HERE, select your country, click "Support" in the upper right, then scroll down and click on "Contact Us" at the bottom and give your local service group a call. 

Thank you