Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

Bose bass module crackling noise possible interference

I have a soundbar 700 with a bass module 700 connected wirelessly. The sound was perfect up until 2 days ago. Nothing has changed in my setup or home. But it feels theres is some sort of interference to the bass module. If music is playing directly from the sound bar for example from alexa it is fine. But when the input is from a fire tv device thats connected to the tv I get a crackling noise coming from the bass module. At first I thought the speaker was blown but it is fine. The connection of the fire tv to the tv to the soundbar via ARC is not new or has not been changed and worked fine before. Any suggestions?

This is only one of the several problems I've had with this system but thats a topic for another discussuon. 

10 REPLIES 10
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Bose bass module crackling noise possible interference

Hi tashrocca,

Thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear you're getting crackling audio with the bass module, but I'd like to help.

Does this happen everytime you use the Fire TV? Does it happen with any other sources? When this does happen again if it's reproducible every time, can you test by unplugging the bass module from power for 30 seconds and then check again?

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

I’ll try a difference source in a day so I will connect my Nintendo switch to see if the issue is replicated. 

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

ok so I was able to do further testing and observation of this issue. So it does do it when there's other sources playing like the Nintendo switch and when Alexa is playing music via the soundbar itself I just hadn't noticed previously. To me it almost sounds as if its a connection issue or interference because the bass is as strong and powerful as it was from day one I am trying to pin point when the crackling kicks in. I think it happens when the bass is beginning to increase within a song but doesn't continue as the bass stays strong 

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Thanks for checking on that tashrocca.

I would recommend trying to isolate the Switch and any other devices that are Wi-Fi enabled away from the Bass Module.  The BM700 operates on the same wireless frequencies that your Wi-Fi does, so interference can absolutely cause an issue like this.

Are there any sources where this doesn't happen?  Maybe if you are using your TV, and all other devices are turned off?

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

thanx for the speedy reply. I will give that a shot but if that's the cause of the problem that will really complicated things for me as everything in my home theater system operates off of wifi i dont have access to hardwiring in my living room. Do you know what frequency the bass module operates in? every thing i have plugged into the tv operates on the 5ghz network. components in my house that operate on the 2.4ghz network would be things like smart switches outlets thermostats and led lighting many which are things that are permanent fixtures and cant be moved. 

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the BM700 operates on 5 GHz, which may help explain interference issues.

Are you able to go into the settings of your wireless router and assign a specific channel for your networks?  This may help the BM 700 avoid the other devices.

Best,

Brandon

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

Yes I can. What channels should I stay away from to avoid interference with the Bose? 

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello tshrocca,

Thanks for the question.

The BM700 will channel hop around the 5 GHz band. Try to choose a channel that is either the least cluttered or a random channel. 

If you don't have a network analyzer there are plenty of free mobile apps that are free that can show you. 

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

ok i used a wifi analyzer app and assured that my two 5ghz networks were on channels with no other traffic. And according to the wifi app there are no other networks in range the only that show up are my two network. So i still have the problem with the bass module 

is there a way to see what channel and frequency the bose is currently using