Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Bose solo 5 no sound via optical cable

Recently purchased my solo5 to connect to a 2008 Sony Bravia LCD tv using the optical output on the TV to the optical input on the Solo 5. There’s no sound. Only devices connected to the TV are Apple TV (HDMI) and chromecast (HDMI). Tried the RCA audio outputs to the AUX input on Solo 5 and that works...Am I missing something or are older sets optical outputs not compatible?
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Bose solo 5 no sound via optical cable

ptupling@gmail.com wrote:
Recently purchased my solo5 to connect to a 2008 Sony Bravia LCD tv using the optical output on the TV to the optical input on the Solo 5. There’s no sound. Only devices connected to the TV are Apple TV (HDMI) and chromecast (HDMI). Tried the RCA audio outputs to the AUX input on Solo 5 and that works...Am I missing something or are older sets optical outputs not compatible?

Check that your optical cord is properly seated in the tv and sound bar. You need to hear a “click”. Go into the audio settings of the tv and look for the speaker designation option. Select “speakers” or “external” or something like that. You might also see an option for type of sound processing. Try the different settings. Dolby Digital is best. 

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Bose solo 5 no sound via optical cable

Hi ptupling,

Thanks for posting!  

Thanks @rickatk, those are definitely steps I'd recommend trying to see if it resolves the issue.

Also some TVs will not allow the optical output to send audio from an HDMI input and only from the internal tuner.  I would recommend looking into the owner's guide of the TV or contacting them to see if this is the case.  To confirm if the optical port is working, you can try connecting the optical cable directly to the source like the Apple TV if it has it.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support