Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

Bose soundbar 700 and Sony Bravia KDL55W900A

I have a sony bravia KDL55W900A tv and just bought a Bose 700 Soundbar and Bass Module.

I cannot get sound from the TV to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. Optical cable works, Bose Music App works, and if I remove the optical cable and use HDMI1 the tv can see the soundbar on HDMI1 (the bravias ARC port), but get no tv sound. I am guessing I'm missing a config setting on the audio for the tv but for the life of me I cant figure out what it might be. Any suggestions? The Bose FAQ says check the TV manual and the TV manual says check the sound system manual so I'm kind of stuck.

The sound quality via optical is great so if I can get the HDMI working I'll be rapt.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

Re: Bose soundbar 700 and Sony Bravia KDL55W900A

Author Accepted Answer selected by undrewb

Thanks Andy_B. I checked the bravia manual and the following tip below I think has my answer. I think basically I have to use optical. Which is fine because it works and sounds amazing. I'm curious whether theres any functionality difference between HDMI-ARC and audio out? I'd love to have some kind of feedback on my tv about the soundbar volume level.

I really appreciate the community feedback - thanks Liam and Andy!

Tips When connecting a “BRAVIA” Sync-compatible digital audio system and Audio Return Channel (ARC) technology, connect to HDMI IN 1 with an HDMI cable. However, if connecting a system that is not “BRAVIA” Synccompatible or Audio Return Channel, an additional audio connection via DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) is necessary.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hello Undrewb, 

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Sorry to hear you have been having issues with the audio on your Soundbar 700. 

From what you have explained, it sounds like it could be an ARC Handshake issue. 
This is where the TV and the Soundbar have lost their connection via the HDMI ARC cable. 

There is a fix for this, It involves power cycling both products to re-establish the Handshake connection. 

Please follow these steps: 

- Turn off your TV and Soundbar and unplug both devices from the power outlet. Leave the HDMI cable connected to both devices. 
- Leave the devices unplugged from power for at least 4 minutes. 
- Plug in the soundbar to power, Leave the TV unplugged. Let the soundbar power up. 
- Select the TV Icon on the soundbar remote
- Plug in the TV to power, once powered on. Test for audio. 

This should re-establish the Handshake connection and you should receive audio on your soundbar. 

Please message back if you have any issues. 

Hope this helps, have a lovely day! 

Kind regards 
Liam G - Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion Liam. I have tried the steps you described but the soundbar still has no sound via hdmi. I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong or how to troubleshoot this.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Undrewb,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still currently experiencing issues with the audio output via HDMI ARC for your Sony TV.

When connected via the HDMI ARC port, is audio silent during playback or does audio play via the TV speakers? If playing via the TV speakers, ensure that the audio output has been selected correctly on your Sony TV, which can be done according to the Sony support page via:

1. After making a connection, press the HOME button, then select [Settings] using the up/down directional buttons.
  2. Select [Sound] using the </> (left/right) directional buttons, then press the + button .
  3. Select [Speakers] using the up/down directional buttons, then press the + button.
  4. Select [Audio System] using the up/down directional buttons, then press the + button.

Further guidance can be found directly from the Sony manual, HERE by selecting "Using Other Devices" > "HDMI connection". It is important to note that most TV's will only have one HDMI ARC port - please ensure that your Soundbar 700 is successfully connected to the correct input on your TV for this. There is also an audio output setting for your TV, which can set to "Variable" or "Fixed", test using both of these variations for results.

Both HDMI and Optical connections offer highly comparable and similar audio quality - it is ultimately personal preference in relation to what is your preferred method of connection and setup. If the issue persists, I would encourage you to reach out directly to Sony for further investigation and diagnosis for this issue pertaining to their model of TV.

Kind regards,

Andy B

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by undrewb

Thanks Andy_B. I checked the bravia manual and the following tip below I think has my answer. I think basically I have to use optical. Which is fine because it works and sounds amazing. I'm curious whether theres any functionality difference between HDMI-ARC and audio out? I'd love to have some kind of feedback on my tv about the soundbar volume level.

I really appreciate the community feedback - thanks Liam and Andy!

Tips When connecting a “BRAVIA” Sync-compatible digital audio system and Audio Return Channel (ARC) technology, connect to HDMI IN 1 with an HDMI cable. However, if connecting a system that is not “BRAVIA” Synccompatible or Audio Return Channel, an additional audio connection via DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) is necessary.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Thanks for giving us the update Undrewb, we really appreciate this. 

In relation to the functionality difference between HDMI ARC and Digital Optical out, HDMI ARC has a few functions such as HDMI CEC, where as Digital Optical Out purely sends an audio signal from the TV to the soundbar.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support