Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lozmitch
Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2020

CINEMATE 520 4K passthrough

Hi there,

I've just updated my TV to 4K and I'm reading that the cinemate 520 does transfer 4K at 60fps. 

If I plug the blueray/sky Q and apple tv box directly to the TV via HDMI, can I keep the HDMI arc cable connected to the 520 console (so it only passes the sound) or it an optical cable better from Bose console to TV?

If the optical cable is the only way, does anyone know if it downgrades the sound quality or has any affect on the quality vs. the current HDMI arc setup?

My other question is that I 'may' have the opportunity of purchasing either the Lifestyle 600 or The soundbar/bass and speakers all the 700 series later - this is big maybe......but which one would you say is better set up for the future and quality? I also cannot find if the 600 is HDCP 2.2 compatible.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: CINEMATE 520 4K passthrough

Author Accepted Answer selected by lozmitch

Hello lozmitch, 

Many thanks for reaching out 👋.

The Cinemate 520 uses HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.4 so 4K 60fps isn't compatible. The best recommendation, as you mentioned, would be to connect the 4K 60fps devices directly to your TV's built-in HDMI ports, then use the ARC connection to run audio from the TV to the Cinemate via the HDMI cable already connected to your TV to the TV input HDMI port on the Cinemate console.

Both ARC and Optical are digital connections, some formats may not be available with optical, but the sound difference will be negligible. 

Finally, the Lifestyle 600 has six HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 inputs that support 4K/60fps, 4K HDR, HDR10.

Thanks!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by lozmitch

Hello lozmitch, 

The Cinemate 520 uses HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.4 so 4K 60fps isn't compatible. The best recommendation, as you mentioned, would be to connect the 4K 60fps devices directly to your TV's built-in HDMI ports, then use the ARC connection to run audio from the TV to the Cinemate via the HDMI cable already connected to your TV to the TV input HDMI port on the Cinemate console.

Both ARC and Optical are digital connections, some formats may not be available with optical, but the sound difference will be negligible. 

Finally, the Lifestyle 600 has six HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 inputs that support 4K/60fps, 4K HDR, HDR10.

Thanks!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

lozmitch
Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2020

Hi Jeff!

Thanks so much for this, much appreciated!

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Jeff_G wrote:

Hello lozmitch, 

I find this connection method works on my Cinemate 130 as well. HDMI sounds better than optical.