cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carolel
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2018

Can 501 Series IV Direct/Reflecting Speakers Go Wireless?

Hi,

My current system is: One room with one of the Acoustimass Home Theater systems (wired system/Pioneer receiver) that connects to the Bose® SoundTouch® SA-5 amplifier; second room has the Bose Soundlink 130. They both play music in sync, wonderfully (wireless)! 

My question is, I have a set of 501 Series IV Direct/Reflecting Speakers (need old fashioned speaker wire) that I want in yet another room. If I purchase another SA-5 Amp, can I power the 501's and still be able to have all 3 systems work in harmony in the Soundtouch App?  Does Bose have another product that would power the speakers that isn't quite as expensive as the SA-5?

Special point to make. No Bluetooth suggestions, please. I cannot seem to get around the delay of sound between systems.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Can 501 Series IV Direct/Reflecting Speakers Go Wireless?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Carolel

Hi Carolel,

Thanks for the great question! Yes, this will work! I may also have an alternate solution that wouldn't require purchasing another SA-5. 

Here is what I'd recommend:

• You mentioned you have an Acoustimass Home Theater system connected to a Pioneer Receiver AND the SA-5 amplifier, correct? If so, it sounds like the SA-5 may just be used to provide the SoundTouch connectivity/streaming sources to your speakers, and the Pioneer receiver is what the Acoustimass system is connected to. If this is the case, I'd recommend disconnecting the SA-5 and using it for your 501 IV speakers. 
  • I'm sure you're wondering why we'd do this. Now you don't have SoundTouch connectivity to your Acoustimass/Pioneer setup. Well, check out the SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter. Since your Pioneer receiver is likely already powering the Acoustimass speakers, you could connect this adapter to an available input on the Pioneer Receiver. This adapter connects to your home network and allows SoundTouch connectivity, just like the SA-5 does. The only difference is the adapter doesn't provide any power for connected speakers (but you're Pioneer receiver has that covered). This would be a more cost-effective alternative to purchasing another SA-5. 
  • The SoundTouch 130 system would not need to be changed. 
  • Once you have all of the systems set up and connected, you will be able to use the SoundTouch app to group the systems or use the Play All feature, which will synchronize your music across all rooms. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Carolel

Hi Carolel,

Thanks for the great question! Yes, this will work! I may also have an alternate solution that wouldn't require purchasing another SA-5. 

Here is what I'd recommend:

• You mentioned you have an Acoustimass Home Theater system connected to a Pioneer Receiver AND the SA-5 amplifier, correct? If so, it sounds like the SA-5 may just be used to provide the SoundTouch connectivity/streaming sources to your speakers, and the Pioneer receiver is what the Acoustimass system is connected to. If this is the case, I'd recommend disconnecting the SA-5 and using it for your 501 IV speakers. 
  • I'm sure you're wondering why we'd do this. Now you don't have SoundTouch connectivity to your Acoustimass/Pioneer setup. Well, check out the SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter. Since your Pioneer receiver is likely already powering the Acoustimass speakers, you could connect this adapter to an available input on the Pioneer Receiver. This adapter connects to your home network and allows SoundTouch connectivity, just like the SA-5 does. The only difference is the adapter doesn't provide any power for connected speakers (but you're Pioneer receiver has that covered). This would be a more cost-effective alternative to purchasing another SA-5. 
  • The SoundTouch 130 system would not need to be changed. 
  • Once you have all of the systems set up and connected, you will be able to use the SoundTouch app to group the systems or use the Play All feature, which will synchronize your music across all rooms. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

View solution in original post

Carolel
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2018

Hi Brian,

Excellent advice!  I do have one more question, though. The SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter has a 30 foot wireless range. I believe that my modem is beyond this range. Is this an issue?

Thank you so much!

Carole

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Carole,

Excellent question.  The range for Bluetooth is 30 feet, however the wireless connection to your router should be much further (depending on interference and construction of your home).  If you can connect to your Wi-Fi using your phone and have a good signal, the SoundTouch Wireless Link should be fine.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support