Highlighted
djacse
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Cannot connect RC35S2 with V35

Hi,

I have a V35 and have just got my hands on 2 used RC35S2 remotes, but I cannot get them to work. I go into the setup menu, select home and press the "stop" button on the remotes but no reaction. Also I believe the light at the center should flash when I press any button, but no reaction.

Both previous owners assures me that the remotes are fine. I also find it unlikely that both should have failed at the same time.

Any suggestions to what I should try?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cannot connect RC35S2 with V35

Hi Djacse!

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community! 

The RC35S2 remote controls are used for expansion. Do you have expansion rooms connected to your V35?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Jessie - Community Support 

djacse
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Hi, yes, I have a SA-3 connected and setup as Room B, switches 1 and 7 up and the rest down, I have the switches on the remote all up except 6, 7, and 8.

Should I expect to see any reaction on the V35 when I connect the SA-3?

Is there any way to determine if the remotes are actually transmitting something, a LED that flashes or some sign of life?

Hi djacse, 

Thanks for letting us know. Below i have provided instructions to provide assistance with pairing the expansion remote to the V35 - 

To pair the RC35S2 expansion remote and control console, follow these steps:

There are two methods to pairing the expansion remote; one pairs the remote using the System Information screen, the other navigates through the Unify menu screens 

Using the System Information screen:

1. On the control console, press Setup. The Setup menu with the Unify logo should appear on the TV screen - if it doesn't, select the correct TV input
  2. Press and hold Setup until the System Information Screen displays
  3. Change switches 1, 2, 3 and 4 under the battery cover on the back of the expansion remote to match the four lines shown to the right of the number on line 11. If six lines are shown, change switches 5 and 6 as well

Using the Unify menu screens:

1. On the control console, press Setup. The Setup menu with the Unify logo should appear on the TV screen - if it doesn't, select the correct TV input
  2. On the main remote, press Down until "Homewide" is highlighted
  3. Press OK
  4. Press Up or Down to highlight "House code"
  5. Press OK
  6. Press Up or Down to highlight "Standard". The default is "15". Changing this selection will change the house code setting to "0" for Standard, "0A" for Alternative
  7. On the expansion remote, press Stop. The system's house code setting will change to match the expansion remote
  8. On the main remote, press Exit to leave the menu

Please let us know if this helps.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

djacse
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Hi,

Non of the options make any difference.

Using the System information Screen:

Under 10. I see one remote 

Under 11. I see 15 - - - - (assuming this means swithes up)

Under 12. I see connected room B, this is my AS-3

If I use Unify and follow your steps I get to 6, but pressing up or down have no effect, and pressing Stop on the expansion remote gives no reaction. 

The two remotes are marked RC35S2-27 and RC35S2-40, are both compatible with my LifeStyle, I have Software Version DEF.02.18.00.r13179?

Thank you for getting back to us djacse.

When following the Unify steps are we controlling the system with the main remote or one of the two new remotes? as that setup method should be using the main remote until the point we have to press STOP on the expansion remote.

with the two remotes you have there, there is a key difference between them. The RC35S2-27 is designed to operate systems made in North America while the RC35S2-40 is designed to operate systems made outside of North America as they use different frequencies to communicate with the systems, so depending on your location one of these remotes is unlikely to work with your lifestyle system.

Could we also check the connection for the Homewide Antenna needed to receive the commands from the remote. If we can make sure the connector is firmly in the 'Homewide Antenna' port on the back of the lifestyle and that it's not crossing over other power or other cables that may be causing interference.

I hope this helps.

Keith_L - Community Support - 

djacse
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Thanks for those suggestions, so clearly the -27 remotes wont work, my mistake.

When I now connect the HomeWide antenna it works with the -40 remote, so that was the issue all the time.

One question, I have an Airport Express connected as Media Player, how do I select that from the expansion remote?

Hi Djacse, 

Thank you for letting us know this worked for you.

In relation to the Airport express, when you add this to the AV35 through the Unify process under device management. This should show up within your device list under sources. To view this list, press the source button on the remote control.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a great day

Leon_C