Highlighted
Teadoir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2016

Cinemate 130 and Apple TV 4K or any 4K product doesn't pass thru.

I feel basically lied to by Bose when purchasing TWO Cinemate 130 systems for $1,100 each.  They told me these systems would pass thru 4K video but when I attached a Samsung 4K Blu Ray player (plugged into BD/DVD) and AppleTV 4K (plugged into Game) to my Samsung 4K television it states resolution not supported.  I. can plug both directly into the TV and it works perfectly.   But what is the point if I can leverage the sound of my Bose system. 

Does anybody have a solution?  I'm never going to buy another product from these liars if I can't get this fixed.  

BTW, tried their outsourced support and got zero help.

3 REPLIES 3
kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Re: Cinemate 130 and Apple TV 4K or any 4K product doesn't pass thru.

Hi there,

I fully understand your frustration!  I'm having a similar issue with my Apple TV 4k and my Cinemate 130.  What I'm going to share is simply my understanding which may be flawed.  I appreciarte anyone more knowledgable than myself correcting my statements here, if necessary.

I find Bose to be a reputable company making high-quality products.  And, most of the time, their technical support is top notch.  Bose isn't fully responsible for all this issue.  You may be aware that Intel keeps updating the HDMI standards (currently now at 2.2 for the latest products).  When they do this, hardware manufacturers have to scramble to product a firmware update.  If I'm correct, our Cinemate 130 is currently only HDMI 2.1 compliant.  Until Bose comes out with an update for our Cinemate 130 systems, we may be stuck.  Perhaps Bose will let us know when we can expect that to happen.

The ONLY way I can get my Apple TV 4K to work is with a direct cable connection to my TV.  HDMI 2 cable is plugged into my Cinemate 130 Soundbar.  HDMI 1 (Arc) has to be manually switched between my Xbox One and my Apple TV 4k.  I've tried an HDMI converter and HDMI switchbox to no avail.  I need to play around with the HDMI converter a bit more since I honestly expected that to resolve the problem.

Previously, I had my HDMI 1 (Arc) plugged into my Xbox.  An optical cable from my TV connected to my Xfinity cable box.  And I was able to successfully plut my previous Apple TV 4th generation directly into the game port of my Cinemate 130 and all worked flawlessly.  I didn't have to manually unplug anything; it all worked perfectly.  Plugging the Apple TV 4K into the game port produces nothing but a black screen.  This tells me the problem lies with the Cinemate 130 console.

Until Bose comes up with a firmware update, we're stuck manually switching HDMI cables (if you have the kind of setup I have with an Xbox, Cablebox, and Apple TV 4k.

Bose?  How about some communication on when we can expect that firmware update?  Or can a firmware update fix this issue with the Cinemate 130?

Wistful Whisperer--hang in there.  Bose has the resources to fix this.  And you can be sure other sound system companies are dealing with similar issues. 

Hope something here is helpful to you.

ayanomich
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 6, 2016

You've probably seen other threads by now, but there will be no firmware update for 130 system.  Hooking up your 4k sources directly by HDMI to your 4k TV and HDMI ARC from TV to console is the only way to go, and you can alos hook up digital cable or optical cable from source or TV to the console too for sound.  

kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

I have confirmed what you say as all accuirate.  Kind of a bummer about no more firmware updates but it is what it is.  In the meantime, I had luck using an HDMI switcher so that I can successfully and easily have Apple TV 4k, Xbox 4k, and Cable TV at the click of a switch along with my Harmony remote control.

Very much appreciate your expertise on this, Quiet Contributor!