kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Cinemate 130 and Apple TV 4K

Hi all

I have a Cinemate 130 that hooked up to the LG 55B6 OLD TV along with Xfinity cable box and Xbone One for watching 4K HDR.  I also have been successfully using the 4th generation Apple TV which was hooked into my Game port.  Never had a problem with it.  Then I upgraded this weekend to the Apple TV 4k and it worked great...for a day.  For some reason, the best resolution I could get was 4k HDR 30hz (instead of 60hz)  So I experimented with some of the manual settings which caused my screen to go black.  From that point on, I've not been able to get the Apple TV4k to work successfully with my Cinemate 130--on the Game or Aux ports.  I've tried changing all the output settings, etc. to no avail.  When I hook up the Apple TV 4k directly to my TV, it works fine (without the quality sound, of course).

Any suggestions I might try?  The fact I had it working perfectly for a day suggests I should be able to get it to work again.  I have successfully gone back to my 4th generation Apple TV which works great on the GAME port.  I'm at a loss to know what to try next.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Just curious: has ANYONE here had success hooking up the Apple 4K to their Cinemate 130?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Re: Cinemate 130 and Apple TV 4K

Author Accepted Answer selected by kwikkeys

OMG!  Thank you.  This works.

Finally, I have HDR 4K UHD with Chroma settings at 4:2:2 AND surround sound coming from my Cinemate 130.  So it is possible.  And this worked without the HDMI switcher or converter.

For this to work, I had to unplug the HDMI cable from my Xbox and plug it into my Apple TV 4K.  Doing this before, I got beautiful picture but no sound.  To get sound from the Cinemate, I then selected the SYSTEM button on my Bose Cinemate remote, went to #11, and selected "Auto/TV" and suddently I have sound with my 4K UHD picture.

Yes, it's a pain to have to manually switch the cable but I'm hoping to play around with the HDMI switcher to remedy this.

So...I can confirm that the Cinemate 130 does indeed work with the Apple TV 4k with the highest settings Apple TV 4k allows.  Eureka!!  And it only took me about 15 hours to get this bloody thing to work.  But I learned in a lot in the process so that's okay.

9 REPLIES 9
alistairbp
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Thanks for posting this question. I would love to know the answer too as I’ve been having the same issues. I did do a cinemate 130 software update and it worked again but only up to the 24hz 

Highlighted
cdaz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 27, 2017

I'm no able to make it work at all. My screen stays black with a "not supported message" after plugging an Appletv 4k to my Cinemate 130.

Please help!

kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Hi all,

I spoke with Albert, a BOSE support person who seemed to really know his stuff.  His suggestion was to buy an HDMI switcher.  I haven't tried this yet but I suspect it will fix the problem.  My LG 55B6 OLED TV has only two HDMI ports, the first being an ARC.  That is connected from the TV to my Bose console.  The 2nd HDMI port on the TV is plugged into my cable box I believe.  My Xbox One plugs into the BD port on the Bose console.

The suggestion from Albert is to get a switch (capable of 4k) and plug the 2nd HDMI cable from the TV to the switcher.  Then plug the Apple TV and cable box into the switcher.  The reason I think this will work is that, when I plugged my Apple TV 4k directly into my TV HDMI port, it worked beautifully.

It may take a week or two for me to get things set up to test this but, once tested, I'll report back.  If you beat me to it, please do let us know if it works!  -Brad

cdaz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 27, 2017

Thanks for the heads up! 

Did he mention what the issue was? Are they working on a fix? future firmware update?

Thanks again!

kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Sorry to say he did not mention a fix or what, if anything, was causing the issue.  It seems there are quite a few things to rule out with an issue like this in trying to discover the cause of the issue.

Perhaps a technician monitors these boards and will offer more information.

While the Cinemate 130 is no longer sold, it's basically the same system as the Cinemate 300 now sold.  (This is what I heard from the support technician.)  There are upgrades, of course, to the 300 and it has the added capability of 2 additional wireless speakers to place around the room in addition to the soundbar.  It's tempting to sell my old system and upgrade but I've only had my Cinemate 130 for 2 years and will seek more life out of it before upgrading.

kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Update

So far, I've had no success with the HDMI switcher.  However, I've now been advised to try an HDMI converter which will arrive tomorrow.  I'm hopeful this will work--most likely without the switcher but I plan to experiment with several setup variations.

Has ANYONE here in the Bose community had ANY success in getting their Apple TV 4k to work with the Bose Cinemate 130?  I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible for it to work.  Thanks.

cdaz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 27, 2017

I have found a workaround. I have connected the Apple TV to a different HDMI input in the TV.

1- Connected an optical sound cable from the TV optical audio output to the Cinemate 130 optical input. (Most 4K's TVs have them)

2- Pressed "System" on the remote.

3- Press the down button until option 11 (SET OPTICAL INPUT)

4- Press right until to program the input you prefer. (I've choosed TV)

5- Now you play 4K HDR content to your TV and hear good quality audio through your Cinemate 130.

I know this not perfect and may be a hassle because you have to change HDMI inputs in the TV. For me, it works perfect because I only use the Apple TV.

I hope this helps!

kwikkeys
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2015

Author Accepted Answer selected by kwikkeys

OMG!  Thank you.  This works.

Finally, I have HDR 4K UHD with Chroma settings at 4:2:2 AND surround sound coming from my Cinemate 130.  So it is possible.  And this worked without the HDMI switcher or converter.

For this to work, I had to unplug the HDMI cable from my Xbox and plug it into my Apple TV 4K.  Doing this before, I got beautiful picture but no sound.  To get sound from the Cinemate, I then selected the SYSTEM button on my Bose Cinemate remote, went to #11, and selected "Auto/TV" and suddently I have sound with my 4K UHD picture.

Yes, it's a pain to have to manually switch the cable but I'm hoping to play around with the HDMI switcher to remedy this.

So...I can confirm that the Cinemate 130 does indeed work with the Apple TV 4k with the highest settings Apple TV 4k allows.  Eureka!!  And it only took me about 15 hours to get this bloody thing to work.  But I learned in a lot in the process so that's okay.

Community Manager

Great! Thanks for sharing the solution with us. We're going to close this as resolved. Enjoy your Apple TV!