rpearlberg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Cinemate 15 Popping noise

I've had the system for about 3 weeks, connected to a 50" Samsung 6300 TV.  Every once in a while (3-4 times in 3 weeks) when I change the channel the speakers will make a loud "popping" noise.  The sound is fine before and after, but I wonder what is causing this and if there is a fix.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
EricW
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 6, 2017

Re: Cinemate 15 Popping noise

I have the same issue if anyone knows a solution?

@rpearlberg wrote:

I've had the system for about 3 weeks, connected to a 50" Samsung 6300 TV.  Every once in a while (3-4 times in 3 weeks) when I change the channel the speakers will make a loud "popping" noise.  The sound is fine before and after, but I wonder what is causing this and if there is a fix.

Thanks.

Because the system is taking audio information that is being fed to it and isn't directly aware of when you change a channel, the good news is that your system is working fine if it only happens in that circumstance. The two most likely possibilities are:

1. If this happens specifically when changing from a standard definition channel to a high definition channel, the pop is the result of the changing audio stream on your cable/satellite box and there should be audio settings within the box to resolve this or the provider may have a newer box to tackle this issue. 

2. If you are going through the TV output to the Bose, this may be the audio processing when going from stereo channels to channels that offer surround sound. The easiest way to eliminate this possibility is running audio cables directly from the box to the Bose system and bypassing the TV. 

If the popping occurs on other sources like a DVD player, gaming console, etc., that would be something different and we'd recommend contacting your local Bose support HERE for further troubleshooting. 

rpearlberg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Thank you for the explanation Ryan.  The only few times I've noticed this is when changing channels.  Currently, the optical cable from the speaker is going directly to the TV.  If I run the optical cable directly from the box to the speaker, will the sound come out if using a DVD player or a TV app and not the cable box?  Maybe I'll give that a try and see what happens. 

Because running the optical cable directly from the box wouldn't provide audio from the DVD or internal TV apps, this would be a troubleshooting step to determine the source of the issue as opposed to a permanent solution. If the issue persists, the issue is in the audio processing of the box. If it goes away, the issue is in the audio processing of the television's audio output. 

rpearlberg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Ok, thanks.  So then that would mean there is a problem with the TV, or just a problem with the way it is processing the audio?

rpearlberg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Just checked my cable box and it was set to "Dolby Digital", the only other option is "Stereo".  Should I switch it to stereo and see if the problem continues?

We would normally reccomend leaving it as Dolby Digital, but if the TV is creating the popping when you swich from low definition to high definition that should resolve the issue.

rpearlberg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Eric, did you figure out a solution?

ghillsnt
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2017

My Cinemate 15 system made several loud popping sounds and now the optical source has stopped playing sound. The RCA is still working fine can someone direct me on a solution? Thanks for any help with this.