Majkbose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

Cinemate 520 7.1 problem

Hello, I have 7.1 sound source connected via HDMI, Cinemate displays 7.1 on the display - I assume it process the sound down to 5.1 but it assigns wrong speakers to the 5.1 (like the center is playing from the left rear...) Any idea how to fix it?

6 REPLIES 6
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Cinemate 520 7.1 problem

Hello Majkbose

Thanks for posting in the community!  Sorry to hear about the issues but would be glad to assist!

Can you access the settings of the source device and see if you can set the audio output to 5.1 Dolby Digital.  This should help as you mentioned, the system only reads a 5.1 signal, so the 7.1 signal could be causing conflict.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Majkbose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately not, I can’t change the source to 5.1.

Was wondering why the Bose system picked 7.1 when it is not capable of it.. there is no way how to force Bose to change the mind to 5.1?
Greg_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello Majkbose, 

I suspect that the system is displaying information received from the source. Which 7.1 source are you connecting via HDMI (make and model number if possible)? 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Majkbose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

Thay is correct. I’m connecting MacBook pro (usb-c to HDMI) and playing file with 7.1 sound with VLC player.
I have not found a function in my computer nor VLC where I can change the setting to be 5.1 (maybe it is not possible to downgrade 7.1 to 5.1? No idea..)
Greg_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Thanks for the information, Majkbose!

It may be that streaming files or files that have encoded 7.1 may need to be manipulated prior to being sent to the Cinemate so they are 5.1. Or you may need to make sure that your files are already 5.1.  I looked at VLC and was also unable to locate an audio channel setting like what you are describing. I believe that there is something in the way the audio signal is encoded for 7.1 that is preventing the system from assigning the correct destination. Perhaps someone else here in the Community will have some other ideas on this subject.

Best Regards,

Greg

Majkbose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

Thanks for the update & yes, I thought this may be the case. I was just surprised I can't pick the format (I had Onkyo years ago that allowed me to pick the output) and it seems that Cineamte 520 does everything automatically.. Anyway, thanks for the update. M.