amcarner
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2018

Cinemate 520 Digital Optical Audio Skipping

Hello!

I'm a former Bose employee and this one is just racking my brain! I cant seem to find a solution. I have a 75inch 4k Samsung TV and because the Cinemate 520 Consoles wont pass through the proper HDCP version, I am using sound as Optical Out from the TV, into the Bose Console. The TV is correctly projecting out the audio and I hear things just fine, however, the audio skips out every 5-7 Seconds for about half a second, and this happens all the time. As you can imagine, quite frustrating.

Anyone have a fix? or is this a bum console...

Thanks!

-Adam

11 REPLIES 11
Community Manager

Re: Cinemate 520 Digital Optical Audio Skipping

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Community!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but happy to help!

• Did the optical cable ever work properly with the Samsung TV?
  • Have you been able to try connecting the optical cable directly to a source like a cable box or Blu Ray player?
  • Can you check what the audio output format is set to on the TV as well as try a few different options?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

amcarner
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2018

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

I did try and adjust the output on the TV, no difference between optical out "Modes." The TV Is about a week old, so I dont believe it to be the Television. I feel like I had this problem before on the Bose Console last time I had it set up this way, but there is no way to know for sure. I have not tried plugging in another source besides the TV Audio Out, I can try that tonight.

Is there anything on the console that I can adjust that changes how the Optical Signal is recieved?

Thanks! Stay Tuned...

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting back to us.

There is not any setting for how the Optical Signal is received in the Bose Console. You can also check the formats your TV is outputting for audio as well and see if you're able to adjust that.

Let us know the results from Tony's suggestions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community support

adamcarner
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 14, 2018

Thank you, Joel for that information.

Also, the site didnt save my credentials, So i had to create a new login, here I am again!

Something tells me it's th console itself that isnt reading the recieving signal properly. Still will change out the cable, Please stand by!

-Adam

adamcarner
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 14, 2018

Okay, here is where i'm at:

Still having problems....

Optical Audio Cable is brand new.

Output from TV functions correctly.

Audio Mode out on tv does not affect the skipping.

It skips every 5 seconds or so for maybe a half second.

I dont have an additional source to test with... its happening with Netflix built into TV.

Something tells me its how the Bose System is recieving the audio. Maybe a firmware update will fix? This is driving me insane.

Thanks for any additional help!

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe that a firmware update will resolve the issue.  If your system is connected to Wi-Fi and SoundTouch, the console is up to date.  If not, you can follow THESE instructions to update the console and bass module.

If this doesn't resolve the issue (and you don't have another device with optical output), I would recommend calling in and arranging for service.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Brandon

adamcarner
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 14, 2018

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have to find a USB drive to do this with! I don't have it connected via soundtouch as this was an original Cinemate 520 before the soundtouch adapters came in the box, and I never had one for this system.

Any chance you can ballpark a service charge and turn around time for this console repair? Sadly, I've only had this system set up for a total of maybe 3 months. The reason is, I took the buyout program for my memo loaned Lifestyle System when I left the Retail Direct Group and the Cinemate sat back in the box until I had a use for it a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hey Adam,

I believe service is in the ballpark of $150 and TAT is roughly two weeks, however those numbers are subject to change.  I'd recommend calling support for an updated number.  They can also provide you with a USB drive if you can't find one.

Best,

Brandon

adamcarner
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 14, 2018

Hey Brandon,

Yeah, I will do that to get some updated info. Unfortunate that the input went awry with such little use... =/

I will update here if the problem is resolved!

Thanks again!